“Don’t Miss Out on this Jewel”
Review of Caracol Azul

Caracol Azul
Ranked #8 of 561 Restaurants in Guayaquil
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2018 via mobile

We were staying at the hotel Oro Verde and had a late flight out. The flight was a bit too early for us to do dinner there but we were able to get lunch there. the restaurant is very conveniently located within a straight shot of 4 blocks from the hotel. I chose this restaurant due to its close proximity to the hotel, the great TA reviews, and our friends love of good seafood. The restaurant greatly exceeded our expectations. We tried the shrimp ceviche and fried sea bass bites for apps, all spot on delicious. I personally could have had those two as my meal and been very satisfied. We tried the lemon sea bass, the squid sea bass, and the chef’s choice sea bass, as well as the large shrimp dish. Each and every dish was off the charts fantastic. The wine list was limited but the Sauvignon Blanc reserve bottle was perfectly fine and paired well with our picks. The waiter did not speak much English but both sides navigated that barrier fine. The service could not have been any better. The prices were a bit high especially for lunch BUT the prices matched the quality of food and service, so therefore it did not bother me. I may not be back thru Guayaquil again but if I do I will make it a point to eat here again. Not sure of what restaurants rate ahead of this one but in my opinion this one should be number one. FANTASTIC!!!

1  Thank tarwillie

Reviewed April 8, 2018

Inside the Caracol Azul, it is still the ‘80s. Tuxedoed waiters stand by attentively as guests ponder the ample menu. Ceviches, sea bass, crab, these are the staples of Caracol Azul.

On this evening, we hadn’t planned on eating at Caracol, but the nearby Le Gourmet restaurant in the Oro Verde had accepted our reservation for a day the restaurant was closed for a private party. How inconsiderate! No matter. Caracol Azul was ready for us.

My wife and I started by sharing a shrimp ceviche. Served up in a lemony/tomato red sauce, the dish was a perfect appetizer. I also ordered a bottle of Paradoja, a Cab/Malbec blend from the local winery Dos Hemisferios. We’ve had the Paradoja before, but it again exceeded my expectations for an Ecuadorian vintage. We finished up the ceviche and sipped our wine as we waited for our entrees: sea bass with three cheeses and sea bass “a lo macho” (spicy, or so the waiter warned us).

It was 7:45 PM and guests continued to arrive. It seemed that folk were traveling, many staying at the nearby Oro Verde (ugh!), but on this night, they were mostly Ecuadorian travelers.

Our entrees arrived. The portions at Caracol Azul always surprise me as being generous. Also, this is not light food. The three cheeses sea bass was smothered in molten cheese bracketed by mashed potatoes squeezed from a cake decorating bag. The “a lo macho” was covered in a seafood sauce of shrimp, crab and squid. Despite the waiter’s warning, my plate was not particularly spicy. Nonetheless, the sea bass was cooked well and the seafood sauce a good mix of flavors.

In the end, it was probably a good thing that Le Gourmet stiffed us this evening. They didn’t deserve our business anyhow. Caracol Azul did, and they worked hard for it. It’s easy to see why this classic spot has survived for decades.

Reviewed March 17, 2018

If you like seafood this place is hard to beat. I took my dad and friends here and the service was good. Have eaten in the past so it was good to see same staff still working here. The prawns are their claim to fame but some of the other dishes such as crab bisque and octopus appetizers are very good.

Reviewed March 1, 2018

Wonderful seafood, great steaks, lovely salads, great appetizers, excellent dessert. Worth every penny (it is a bit expensive for Ecuador).

Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

My family and I found this gem on TripAdvisor and are happy we did. The service and food all lived up the many positive reviews we read. The ceviche was very flavorful, we ordered three different sea bass dishes, all three were cooked to perfection. Very attentive and professional staff. You will not regret spending your evening here!