3,361 results
All reviews garden bungalow our honeymoon fish french polynesia luxury overwater bungalow vue bar rented a car dinner buffet outdoor shower beach bar travel agent lagoon view beautiful property dive shop snorkel gear entire stay dream come true
Reviewed October 13, 2018

We spent 4 nights in an overwater bungalow as closure of our honeymoon, and it was fantastic. The bungalow was spacious, very clean and cozy; the view on the fish and coral reef below was really breathtaking. The water is quite shallow near the bungalows, and you can enjoy snorkeling among colored schools of tropical fish. The staff was very gentle, and we really felt welcome in every aspect of our stay. The restaurant was mainly buffet, but the food was really good, and we liked the variety and quality of each night's choice. We also dined once at the K Restaurant, definitely a step above Pure (with a supplementary price): try it, if you can! We did 2 excursions, one by boat and one by ATV, and both were definitely worth it (even if a bit expensive).

Overall, we found exactly what we were looking for: a wonderful place to relax, swim, explore, and have a good time in a beautiful corner of paradise!

Stayed: October 2018
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Ia Orana from Moorea,
What a wonderful sharing of experience! We are delighted to have welcomed you to our corner of paradise!
We do our best to make you live a real Polynesian experience. A unique experience.
The teams are very touched by your comment and thank you very much.
See you soon at Sofitel Moorea, Mauruuru!

Reviewed October 9, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in moorea for our honeymoon for 3 nights before heading to bora bora. There were some things we really liked and some things we did not like. Below is a list of the pros and cons we experienced. As a side note we live in Chicago and love fine dining so keep this in mind during our review of the hotel food.

Food:
Breakfast buffet-
We loved the guy making the omelettes and crepes! He was silly and brightened the mood. We relied on fresh omelettes every morning as most of the other food seemed to be picked over or had been sitting out for awhile. We also had multiple dirty plates found in the clean plate area and everything just diddnt seem all that sanitary. Also, once served coffee we could never seem to hunt someone down for more! It would be nice to have servers check on us or have self serve coffee as this was a daily issue!

Buffet dinner-
extremely overpriced! It was 80 bucks a person not including drinks. As a vegetarian I had rice w stir fried veggies that I personally had to ask the guy to make as he was only stir frying meat. Literally everything else minus dessert was fish or meat. My husband tried a little bit of everything and did not really like anything. The only good thing was dessert but this buffet was a complete waste of money.

K restaurant-
we loved the ambiance and atmosphere. Even though it was raining we still thought it was beautiful. We did the three course dinner which is honestly only a little more then the awful buffet so I would eat here over the buffet. We ordered a bottle of wine which took forever to get. We actually received our starter before our wine. My husband had the crab cake to start which he thought was ok. It was no where near the best he has ever had. I had a vegetable soup which was good. For the main dish my husband ordered steak w mashed potatoes. Again he thought it was just ok. I ordered the truffle risotto which I was so excited about. To my dismay it had no truffle at all! There was carrot and asparagus. It was watery and was not thickened like a typical risotto. In addition it was literally about 1/4 cup being generous. I was extremely disappointed. For dessert I had the coconut creme Brûlée which I really liked! My husband had a banana chocolate dessert. He did not like it but I thought it was pretty good. Overall, we diddnt love the food and diddnt love how long it took to get our wine but liked the ambiance. The presentation of the food was also nice. I would recommend eating food on the island over the hotel but I would recommend this restaurant from a price perspective over the buffet.

Bar-
a la carte food is served here and you are much better off eating here for dinner because their menu is pretty long and for me they had a ton of vegetarian options. My husband and I shared pizza one night w egg rolls as a starter and both were good! Another time I had a veggie burger and my husband had a regular burger and we both really enjoyed our food.

Room- we stayed in a garden bungalow and to our excitement could see the beach clearly. There was a bungalow closer to the beach but we had a clear view and were not expecting it. The big front porch was amazing. We enjoyed coffee in the morning and wine in the evening watching the waves. The mini bar was refilled daily and we were given additional water at night. The room was cleaned twice a day which we really appreciated. The cleaning service was wonderful! The bungalow Itself was much bigger then we expected! You could tell some things were needing renovation for example some of the tiles in the shower were missing and the exterior of the hut looked very worn. Overall we had no major issues with it bc the bed was HUGE and so comfortable

Hotel:
There are two restaurants, the bar, beach bar, and one pool. The pool was really nice and the ocean water surrounding the resort was incredibly calm. It was absolutely gorgeous. We used the kayakes and snorkel gear with no issues. I will warn you the wi-fi is absolutely terrible! This was a huge problem for us. Even in our room it was really bad.

Service:
For the most part everyone was very friendly and compared to bora bora the hotel workers spoke great English! During check in we had some paperwork to fill out and had to email them our package information which we found odd. We assumed they would have that already and the gentleman helping us seemed surprised we diddnt print it. (Does anyone print anything these days?) The night before our check out we received an envelope with our pick up shuttle time, time for luggage pick up, and then when we needed to check out. We waited and waited for our luggage to be picked up at 11 as written and no one ever came. We walked w our luggage quite a ways to the front desk. We politely mentioned this and were told “it’s a general time between 11-12” we explained that was not what the letter stated and had waited until 11:30 before walking. She was very nice and gave a drink voucher to us. We also had a great conversation the last day with the young man helping us with our bags who was very personable.

Overall my husband and I had a good time here but it was below what we expected out of a four or five star resort. For similar pricing I think there are nicer places. If this place got a face lift it would be much better! Moorea is so beautiful and in the end you remember the beauty of nature more then where you stayed.

1  Thank brittany h
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2018

Ia Orana from Moorea Britanny,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort. We are delighted to have been able to welcome you and share with you our corner of paradise! We will take your feedback into consideration in order to improve.
During your future stay, we hope that the quality of the services will be higher than the previous one and will meet your expectations
Kind regards,

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

We are just now checking out of the Sofitel in Moorea, and the staff couldn’t possibly be more amazing. One in particular whose name was Tehauroa saw us waiting in front of the hotel for the pick-up of the dive shop we booked, except the dive shop forgot. When she saw us, she stopped - even though she wasn’t even clocked in for work yet. Both she and her dad discussed possible solutions, and finally she was able to contact the dive shop and get us picked up for an amazing dive. Every single one of the hotel personnel we interacted with was polite, kind and helpful, but Tehauroa really set the bar at a new high for quality service!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2018

Ia ora na from Moorea Nell,
And thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort. The teams are very touched by your comment and thank you very much, especially Tehauroa.
We are delighted to have welcomed you to our haven of peace! We hope to see you again very soon! Mauruuru!

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

To celebrate our wedding anniversary we decided to take a trip to the Society Islands (aka French Polynesia) and check off a bucket list item of staying in an overwater bungalow that is the iconic symbol of the region.

I spent a lot of time trying to determine which of the outrageously expensive choices was the best, reading hundreds of reviews-in fact I got a little bit into the weeds and had my head spinning. I didn’t quite flip a coin in the end but it was really a toss up. I think what you have to keep in mind on the reviews is that for many guests-this type of place is so outside of their usual wheel house that the sheer beauty encourages a “rounding up” in the ratings.

In our days on the island, we had a chance to go in or by the other big properties-Hilton & intercontinental-VERY happy with choice of Sofitel after seeing other two:
-Sofitel has much better location in the bay for snorkeling and is close to airport and ferry terminal
-Hilton and intercontinental more impressive lobbies and pools

Don’t get me wrong, the Sofitel is a beautiful property with lush grounds, a nice beach and more - definitely a nice spot for 3-4 nights, and they provided a number of nice little extras-there was a bottle of champagne in our room and their were hibiscus flowers everywhere in the room-made us feel special.

TIP: If you are like us, you will arrive early due to timing of your flight. Know that there is zero percent chance of getting your room before 2 pm so plan ahead and pack your swim gear on top for easy access.

Pros:
-very friendly staff-and a very civilized Check-in process where you sit and they come to you, give you a cold cloth and fresh pineapple juice
-great beach and location on the lagoon-one of the nicest beaches on the island and easily best snorkeling
-free snorkel gear and large collection of colorful fish right underneath the overwater bungalows
-all beverages in you mini bar -water, soda, beer are free and replenished daily-a nice extra
-free use of kayak and stand up paddle boards (although we didn’t have an opportunity to use them due to strong wind on two days during our stay).
-our overwater bungalow was very spacious with a private over water deck with two recliner lounge chairs and a dock and stairs down to the water-felt very private
TIP: save you left over bread and feed the fish-an amazing variety are lurking in the coral just below your feet and they show themselves when the crumbs hit the waves
-bathroom was large and reasonably up to date with two sinks and a rain shower.
-our rate included a sumptuous breakfast buffet with tons of great options including made to order omelets and crepes, fresh fruit, croissants, cheese, meats and much more-top notch and good quality

Opportunity
-Wi-Fi was really slow and it was virtually impossible to download or post pictures except in the lobby
-hotel lobby is really underwhelming given the level of the hotel-not a great first impression
-like all these island resort retreats, the food and booze are very expensive-we paid $80 for lunch and only had a shrimp salad, 3-shredded beef tacos and two glasses of wine (almost 2x what you’d pay in U.S.)
-was a bit annoyed the first day as all the 20 or so recliners at the nice infinity pool had towels and belongings on them yet only a few people were about-would like to see the hotel disallow this practice of saving space for a whole afternoon
-while the property overall is in good shape, it clearly is a bit of a challenge keeping everything in tip top shape. A sharp eye will easily spot plenty of small things in need of attention-shabby thatched roofs and for example in our room (109) the black out curtains had lost part of their backing and several of the window shutters were missing hardware-nothing major mind you but at $1,000 a night I expected a little more polish.
-we learned after the fact about several things that were going On (pearl shopping seminar, talk on coral etc).-Hôtel could do a better job with communication of these and other events including luau

Bottom line: easily the best choice in moorea for a memorable trip-you won’t be disappointed

TIP: spend the extra money and book overwater-you will have no regrets.

1  Thank JimRiesterer
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2018

Ia Orana from Moorea Jim,

A great MAURUURU for this magnificent sharing. Polynesian hospitality and kindness are our strengths and our greatest reward is to see that you have been touched by it.
We are delighted that you have found your corner of paradise at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora: superb bungalows, the most beautiful white sand beach on the island... Once again a big THANK YOU for your comment which goes right to our heart and see you soon at Sofitel Moorea.

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

Roosters and cocks around the island singing at 5am

It is terrible and you cannot sleep well after 5am singing all the time.

I don’t recommend any hotel in Moorea.

In my case in Sofitel Moorea we have the room 405 and the noise is continuous since 5am and you cannot sleep anymore.

The hotel is nice and the room is nice but you cannot pay a 5 stars hotel to wake up by the roosters at 5am. This is not aceptable.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Ia ora na and thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort.
We will take your feedback into consideration in order to improve.But The roosters are part of the authentic Polynesian charm. We hope to welcome you again very soon!
Mauruuru!