“Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Marks Place Moorea
Redding
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Mark built the entire place from the ground up. You can tell he spent his life on this place making it beautiful. I came with a large group and we ended up being able to rent out the entire place. All the rooms were beautiful! So unique in their own way. Each place had their own kitchen with everything you needed. From the time we got there till the end Mark made sure we had everything we needed in order to make our time there pleasant. He even offered to give us rides to the beach and access to his wifi along with full access to his kayaks, bikes, etc. Some of the neighbours ended up asking if they could put on a little performance for us one night. We had Tahitian dancers, fire breathers and jugglers etc. One of the ladies even gave me her beautiful flowered head piece she made!!

Mark and his team were very pleasant and very sweet. He became like a friend to all of us. You could tell he wanted nothing more than to make sure we had everything we needed to have the perfect vacation.

I would recommend this place to anyone who's looking for a nice quiet place. I would come back again if I'm ever in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

2012 05 03
Marks-place is a wonderful place to stay in Moorea if you like nature and surf. I stayed there several days and enjoyed very much my stay. His bungalows are equipped with everything, small kitchen, etc, and everything works. Prices are very reasonable for this type of accommodation. This area is also very secure. If you are a surfer it is a paradise, if you are not, like me, it is simply an ideal place to unwind.
Mark was a great host.

Room Tip: Mark will select the bingalow that is right for you depending on the number of person. Warning dont...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Papeete, Tahiti
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Since first coming to Mark’s Place in 2005 I have stayed in just about all the bungalows on offer. I live on Tahiti and so I know both Mark and his accommodation very well. I would say that you would be hard pressed to find better quality or better value accommodation anywhere in French Polynesia. Mark is a true craftsman who has lovingly designed and constructed all of the bungalows himself and his imagination is evident everywhere. It is clear, both from the accommodation and the hospitality, that he places people before profit. Mark has spent half his life on the Territory and has established a fine reputation as a friendly, honest and helpful host. If you come to mark’s Place you will not be disappointed as you have the best of both worlds: tranquillity in a heavenly setting and an astonishing range of activities to fill the days.
Please ignore those sad, malicious individuals who gain pleasure from trolling this website (as opposed to those who give constructive criticism).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank fetia-tahiti
Brasil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I had a very pleasant stay with Mark. I had only been there for few days, but enough to make me wish to come back asap. I wonder the unpleasant experiences people had, as I can only speak of my own experience... I recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I feel very sorry for Mark when I read some things here. We stayed at his place for 12 nights and it was really lovely. We stayed in the yellow 2 rooms- house for 6 nights and then in a smaller one with one room for another 6 nights. The yellow house was very spacious, beautiful and comfortable with various places to sit and read in the evening and a huge bed with a very good mattress..for us a bit of luxery for some days. After that we moved to a smaller bungalow to save money because we are on a 1 year trip. This was not less beautiful, aswell built and equipped with a lot of love for details. When we had any questions about the island, Mark was very helpful and because of him we found some sooo pretty spots.
Marks Place is pretty remote,so yes, you can't walk to the beach in 5 minutes,unless you're mainly focused on surfing. Most of the time we hitchhiked everywhere we wanted to go. This is, compared to Germany, absolutely common,easy and not dangerous on Moorea. We met many interesting and friendly people that way. Another cheap option is to take the bus. It costs around 2,50Euro and goes around 5 times daily in both directions in the low season,maybe more often in high season..it depends on the arriving and leaving boats to/from Tahiti. If you are sporty, you can rent a bike for around 8Euro per day,or less sporty but can afford it a car. If you want to buy food, there are 2 small supermarkets a 5-10 minutes walk from Marks Place.
Mark made us a good price because we stayed for 12 nights and offered us to pay with creditcard or cash. We used the internet for several hours and here aswell the price was very good and reasonable,compareable to internetcafes in Germany. There were absolutely no problems with the bill when we left.
My advice to prevent any of those problems people might have had with Mark: make a concrete price in the very beginning and pay right away or cash..but once again: we payed by creditcard in the end and didn't have any problems. Honestly I can't understand why someone doesn't bring any booking papers to a place he has booked 2 months before. Everywhere else that's normal. Mark doesn't ask for a passport or creditcard to secure himself and he told us that before we arrived, someone had even left completely without paying and another guy we met when we were there was complaining about everything without a reason. Another point: Yes,there are roosters- it's common to have chicken walking around on Moorea aswell as in many other countries- it's not a european city...and yes,there are mosquitos- have you seen the surrounding area? Use coils or sprays and there is no further problem. For us the only disturbing noise appeared when the garden was trimmed, but in a tropical environment this is just necessary and they never started early in the morning, so you could have breakfast and leave to the beach or wherever and come back in the afternoon and everything was done.
We have been traveling around the world for 10 months before we came to Moorea, always trying to stay away from the aswell super touristy as mainly backpacker places and must say that Marks Place was the absolutely most beautiful accomodation and surrounding area until now. It is very special and unique, we find and you really miss something when you decide not to go there.

Room Tip: Write Mark an email and tell him what you are looking for. The bungalows are all very different and...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna H
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

I have travelled all over the world for the past 27 years and I have never ever encountered anyone as corrupt, dishonest and unscrupulous as Mark at Mark’s Place.

I had a similar story to many of the guests and I only wish I had read these warnings on Trip Advisor prior to my stay.

“At Marks’s Place I paid my bill twice” visitor July 2011,

“Really pleasant host until it comes to paying your bill” March 2011,

“Not as welcoming as you would expect, beware of proprietor” April 2011,

“Nice place Beware of Owner”

“It’s only paradise if the owner, Mark is not present”

Prior to my arrival Mark agreed to provide me a place to stay at $70 per night for an extended 10 day stay and this rate was reconfirmed upon check in. When I was checking out I wanted to pay in cash and Mark would not allow this to occur saying he only accepts credit card payment. He also stated the price for the room was $100 per night and I needed to pay in credit card and he pointed at the pamphlet at the front desk and claimed to have never agreed to a discount.

He would not allow me to leave the property with my belongings until I paid his new price. We argued at length and in the end I could not afford to miss the ferry back to Moorea or else I would miss my flight so I went ahead and paid the extra $300 to get off the island..

10 days after I arrived home, Mark charged my credit card an additional $586 worth of charges. All of these charges were absolutely false: I broke a Kayak paddle, charged me for internet, charged me for the use of kayak and bike which were included in the price, said “he loaned me money” this was almost identical to other visitors reports( see above)… this began a 3 month extremely time consuming dispute between Me Mark and my credit card company. In addition to the financial aspect and wasted time this whole process became emotionally draining.

I would not recommend anyone staying at this establishment…

In addition, similar to other guests reports here’s what I experienced during my stay Mark at times was pleasant and hospitable and at other times he would scream at his wife and at times guests for long periods at a time. Without notice we were told there would be a party coming to celebrate a birthday this celebration lasted for 3 full days and throughout the entire nights with techno loud music.. Now I am a pretty cool guy and was tolerant of the first night but it certainly would have been nice to be told we were not going to be able to sleep for 3 nights and even after being reassured each time the party would not continue the next night.. it certainly makes the roosters which sound off every morning seem like nothing.

Marks place is far from the beach and sort of remote there are stray animals which will come and eat anything and everything from your kitchen and they toppled over our garbage can and scattered trash all over every evening.

I could have tolerated the rave party, domestic fighting, stray animals and loud roosters but what I have no tolerance for is the outright blatant dishonesty and thievery of unsuspecting visitors/guests hard earned money..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Frank M

Travellers are raving about these Maharepa hotels

brasil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

I think people who is saying bad things about Mark´s Place and from himself are completely wrong in many ways... First...Nowadays the internet provides Google Earth if you go to do a trip to an EPIC place as Moorea Island check from the sky the surroundings from where you gonna stay before you arrive there expecting all kinds of services and beaches...

THe guy who said there´s no beach there is an .. a fast walk around 20minutes enjoying the beautiful hills of haapiti surroundings in moorea takes you to a perfect clear crystal water and white sand beach called Pineapple beach where you can feed stingrays and small sharks for free and snorkel in a safe place with nice drinks live music and amazing staff...

- For SURFERS in the front of Marks Place theres an outer reef called Haapiti its a blowhole big gnarly wave in the big days in the smaller days its a fun and long left takes 10min with kayak or 20paddling with your own arms..In this way to the reef you will see dolphin familys playing in the lagoon flying fishes beautiful rainbows and a mistic view from the valley of hapiti with the mountains

Marks Place its a place to simple people that doesn´t care with alot of luxury if you want it go to a resort there is 2000000 in the island...

- About the roosters...wherever you go in French Polinesya there is milions of roosters you just won´t hear then if you are in a hotel with sound proof windows..

- Mark its not a hospitality expert he is a CRAFTSMAN he build the place by himself he is a master carpenter not a hospitality fake smile receptionist

I been there twice never had one problem never saw nothing wrong...
Just had good tome there met people from many countrys did alot of friends im hoping to get back there soon as possible...

sorry about the wrong english
im from brasil
but just go to mark place if you really enjoy to have good time love the nature and enjoying life...

thats it

surf is life

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank carlos f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maharepa
9.8 km away
Hotel Les Tipaniers
#6 of 13 in Moorea
13.1 km away
Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort

Been to Marks Place Moorea? Share your experiences!