1,299 results
All reviews dolphin encounter shark dive snack shop boat captain horseback riding fish superior room dolphin camp snorkel package soup or salad dive shop fiesta night cactus juice main island medical clinic night dive hyperbaric chamber
Reviewed August 23, 2016

I've been to AKR several times and this time with my sister, who was scheduled to do her open water dives there and get certified. Not only was the diving spectacular and the operation with Denny and his dive crew outstanding, but the new chef at the restaurant was also a welcome change - the food was great. AKR has slowly expanded over the years, processes alot of cruise ship folks, and is STILL one of the best dive resorts I have been to. Kudos!!! (Lose the "zoo" on the island though - it's depressing, and I'm sure there are much better facilities for those "rescued" animals.)

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2016

I loved this resort! Beautiful tropical grounds, guest rooms literally ON the water, great food options, and a little boat to shuttle you around. The resort and SCUBA schedule, at least for our week in August 2016, rotates around a Saturday-to-Saturday stay. Amenities include a weekly fish ID presentation; swimming pool with pool bar; free paddle boards, kayaks and shore diving; a kids camp with excursions; and a weekly barbeque on the key with games. SCUBA operation is located on-site with nice boats, plenty of instructors and DMs, rental equipment and an on-site dive chamber.

Room tip: All rooms have a nice view of the water. You have to take the free boat shuttle to and from rooms on Anthony's Key (it runs constantly.)
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2016

10 days in Roatan through a Divers Mask *2016*
This is a follow up to what is now our 3rd year diving at Anthony’s Key! Both of my other reviews on the Resort offer good information on what to expect. As you can tell by the title we went from 1 week to 10days. Actually more like 13 due to Hurricane Earl. Anyhow this trip the dynamics changed in several areas. One being what were friendly faces were now feeling more like old friends we hadn’t seen in a long time.
Prior to arrival we have requested a few items be on hand. We also pre-booked our massage online, a real treat after a week plus of diving. We are familiar with the process and basically were settled in in no time flat. One of the first things we noticed was some changes in the dining area. Updated serving plates and as always nice, table cloth and linens. The one thing we did not expect was to see tables arranged in big rows with group reserved names on them. This caused 2 problems for us. One we were now limited to where we could sit. Second was the noise level when you have several large groups as we experienced. Prior trips were pretty much tables of 2 & 4 and much quieter. I will give them credit, we voiced our opinion about the changes and they did agree this would be addressed with the dining area expansion project. Perhaps a suitable arrangement would be a separate section just for large groups that would limit the noise and seating for the smaller parties like ours (4).
Diving as always is fantastic and we’re always happy to have Boat Captain Jimmy taking us out each day. Jimmy has been out boat captain since day one, that’s not likely to change. If you want a special treat ask him to score you some local breakfast from the food lady. Can’t remember the name but I do remember feeding the whole boat for $5!
Sherwin is our dive master and always makes sure we see the “good” stuff. In my experience Sherwin one of the best! He learns very quickly the skill level of each diver and also what they like to see. This year was fantastic with a double Eagle Ray sighting and a double Green Moray event I titled “Moray romance”. Video of both on you tube. Make no mistake hunting for a “pea” or catching and turning an Eagle Ray is no easy task. Sherwin is not your average DM.
Outside of the diving our bungalow is one of the best (48) with great AC, hot water and great water pressure and now good Wifi. I did upload a picture of the Cay layout with building numbers. We like the location for several reasons. The porch overlooks a large grass bed area full of juvenile fish and most mornings there are always a few birds looking for breakfast. Great sunset views and evenings we see the night dive boats coming though the cut back to the dock.
This year really confirmed the integrity and character management and staff displayed during an unusually early hurricane approaching the area. In a matter of hours they moved all guest and baggage to a safe location. I’m quite sure this was at great expense to the resort not to mention the extra effort of the staff to load and move luggage and guests. To understand the effort you need to see the little 14’ open shuttle boat with a 15hp motor stacked to the brim with suitcase. No small task under deteriorating weather conditions. I like to thank Mr. Julio and Yolanda for being on the front lines and addressing myself and other personally about the situation. This is exactly the reason we come here each year. When you have quality people from top to bottom it’s very easy to decide each year where to go.
I also like to acknowledge some staff that went above and beyond to help us get home after our flight was cancelled due to the hurricane. The girls at the front desk worked closely with their contact at American Airlines to get us on an alternate flight. On a small island personal relationships make the difference. Also special thank s to Greg for his help at the airport.
Did I mention Marcos? Hmmmmmmm………maybe leave something for you to find out about on your own.

Room tip: 48 or 49 are the one's we prefer
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed August 14, 2016

Visited AKR in July 2106. We were a group of 12 with 10 of us being divers. Arrival at the airport was a little confusing while trying to keep up with your luggage going through security and making sure it is loaded. Our luggage had the green AKR tags on them and that helped. Another resort had someone there had a cooler full of bottled water and beer for their guests. The bottled water would have been welcomed after the long hot wait at the airport. Just a note for AKR staff that may want to consider something like that. After the short bus ride, you meet at the AKR registration area and fill out all the paperwork and receive your keys. The whole process is fairly smooth. The short boat ride over to the island ran smoothly. You never have to wait for more than a few minutes and the boat ride really is 30 secs. I liked how the island was set up with the lodging huts separate. We had 49 and it was very clean, cool and the view was perfect. Loved the deck over the water and the hammocks. The food at the resort was ok. You could always have the option of a burger and fries if you wanted but you have to ask. French Toast at breakfast was delicious. One day at lunch was a ribeye and it was the best meal of the week. Key lime pie for dessert one day was amazing so don't pass on that. Water is drinkable from the faucet throughout the resort, so bring a water bottle to fill and take with you. It is so important to stay hydrated while doing this much diving and this is not easy to do here at AKR. There are water jugs on the dive boats, but little small paper cups. So if you bring your water bottle you can fill and drink from it. We attended the fish id class on Sunday evening. That was interesting and if offered I would recommend going to it.

There is very limited activities for those that are non divers. There isn't really a "beach" for them to hang out on and enjoy. There is the pool and of course the beautiful deck on the huts and they could take the kayaks and paddle boats out into the lagoon. I did the dolphin encounter and snorkel on the last day there. It was neat but I did a dolphin experience in Jamaica once and it was much better there. The water was very murky where we did the dolphin snorkel. You couldn't see the dolphins unless they were right there next to you and you sure couldn't see anything else worth looking at. It was neat to get to be able to go out and swim with them but they weren't always around and you spent some time looking for them and trying to get them to come where you were at. The encounter was informative and interesting but you only got to touch them as they were guided in front of you. I think next time I would pick a different dolphin activity like the dolphin action swim.

Now for the diving. It was good but just that...good. I prefer small groups of divers and there were too many for my liking. We had 14 to 16 most dives. I am used to diving in Cozumel with a dive operation that has 6 max divers and guess I am spoiled. My husband did every dive for the week and I did all but one. The dive times were always 40 to 50 min. I realize that when you are getting in so many dives for the week that you have to be aware of your bottom times. However, most of our dives ended at a reef that was 15 to 20 feet deep so we feel as if it wouldn't have hurt to let us stay down for that hour. Our dive master was always the last in the water and first out of the water and on the boat. I think dive masters should be last out of the water for safety reasons. One dive I entered the water and watched my air drop rapidly. It did not slow down until about 2400 PSI. My dive buddy checked and no leaks. My dive master explained that they fill their tanks so rapidly that I got a hot fill and when it hits the water it cools off causing the PSI to go down rapidly. My husband had the same issue on a dive later in the week. The dive sites themselves were beautiful. I still prefer the beauty of Cozumel diving but these were beautiful and unique. We did finally see turtles but it was late in the week. One of the favorite sites was spooky channel. That was very different than anything I have ever seen, while swimming through literally thousands of silver side fish. The wildlife just wasn't as abundant as what I am used to seeing in Cozumel. Did not see a nurse shark at all out of 20 dives for the week and only a few turtles. Saw a few things unique to this area. The first night dive was pretty miserable to be honest. It was more like a night snorkel. Maximum depth I reached was 20 feet. The waves would wash you back and forth. It was hard to keep off of the reef in the dark and not surface. We did see an octopus but that was the highlight of the dive. Our dive master did give us excellent instructions to keep from getting stung by the jelly fish getting back on the boat. No one in our group was stung, but several on other boats were. The next night dive later in the week was much better. I almost skipped it because of the previous experience and I am glad I didn't. We did do the shark dive and this was the highlight of the week. Pay the extra and do it. It was amazing. This is done through a different dive operation and they did a great job. Very clear briefing and instructions were given and I never felt unsafe.

The biggest negative was the no-see-ums or insect bites. I don't even know how to describe these little pests. You don't realize that they are biting you until the bumps start coming up in a day or so. I used bull frog religiously. I thought it would be great because it had sunscreen and insect repellent combined. It did not help with the no-see-ums though. Some of our group looked like we had chicken pox by the end of the week. I was ready to go home just to get away from these bugs. My recommendation would be to save the trouble with packing any repellent. Just go straight to the gift shop when you get there and buy the stuff they sell there. Everyone that used it seemed to have better results than anything that anyone brought with them.

Overall we had a great time. This resort is family orientated which is a plus. Quiet nightlife which we like. I am not sure about going back. It is much more expensive to come here than it is for us to go to Cozumel and now that I know how the diving compares I will pick Cozumel when it comes to diving. However, If I had a young child or children who were interested in learning to dive I would definitely take the trip here for that. I was so impressed as a bystander watching how good these programs were. The kids were having a great time and learning how to scuba throughout the week. I would not be concerned about their safety because you could tell that was a priority. I would also not be worried about strangers in a strange foreign country. The staff with the children were professional and you could tell love their job. I would highly recommend this resort for a family interested in scuba and dolphins.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TammyD89
Reviewed August 9, 2016

Encounter is a wonderful experience. Definitely a 'must' visit when in Roatan! Its amazing to see the dolphins and get to swim with them. They are sweet and its just so incredible. Thank you so much. Staff was very nice too.

Date of stay: September 2015