“Didn't Want to Leave”

Ranked #3 of 13 West End B&B and Inns
Kansas City, Missouri
“Didn't Want to Leave”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed at Lands End during the last week of March for 6 nights. The place was perfect! I was looking for a great place to relax and this exactly fit the bill!

Adi answered my e-mail inquiry and took the time to respond specifically to my request for suggestions for activities (as opposed to others who said "you can arrange everything here.") I'm sure I could have arranged everything there and it would have been fine. But his response showed he really understood what I was asking.

Quiet, but could hang out at the bar every evening. And the bar has a great sunset view over the Caribbean. Ryan, the bartender, is incredibly friendly and laid back. If you stay here, you'll get to know him.

The breakfast included fresh eggs, bacon, fruit, coffee, tea, toast, etc.

Adi and Eva were right outside the customs exit when I arrived and we headed off to the hotel! By the end of the week I felt as if we'd become friends. Adi loves to play music. On Monday night the bar at the hotel had a good mellow crowd as Adi played and French-Canadian Cynthia sang. On Saturday night, I piled into the car with Adi and Eva and went to a restaurant/bar where Adi and the band, The West End Players performed to a fun crowd.

I spent my days snorkeling. Adi and Eva helped with lots of suggestions. Most of the time I snorkeled right off the shore by Lands End. They also suggested a tour with a local dive instructor and I ended up on one all day tour with him plus a Discover Scuba session. Everything was so personal, I loved it.

Lots of restaurants, dive shops, souvenir shopping, etc. are within a 10 minute walk even though Lands End is in a quiet area right on shore.

If you're really looking for some late night hard partying, this probably isn't the right place. But you can walk to it in 10 minutes easily, if you like.

I really loved this place and I had an amazing time. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The photos on the website show each room individually. I stayed in "Wahoo." Loved the ocea...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2012

we had the most relaxing vacation ever here. a bit away from the main west end strip which is nice, but not totally isolated either. middle of the day (when i guess people are out diving) was very quiet, but in the evening there was a steady trickle of people at the bar. room was clean & comfortable, and surprisingly for a tropical island no bugs other than mosquitos. there is a/c, but no screens on windows - i covered myself in bug spray so we could listen to the ocean all night. i woke up in a pool of my own sweat but it was worth it. i think screens would block the breeze anyway, as did the mosquito net i requested at one point (got 2 nights later) and then abandoned. hammock on ocean-front porch was incredible.

food: breakfast is the same every day - fresh fruit, cereal, toast, plain eggs & bacon. i'm someone who prefers to eat things that have the words like "whole grain", and "arugula" so i would have preferred a slight step up on the breakfast, or at least more variety, or even baleadas. my wife happily ate bacon every day. to each her own.

the restaurant/bar is open 5-10, the hand made pasta is really delicious and flavorful. if you're a snob avoid the burger. they did close early one night after 3 hours of no customers, we went to bed a bit hungry because we were too tired to go to town and had counted on the restaurant.

as mentioned by others, the staff is laid back and remarkably genuine. as a gay couple we felt really comfortable. land's end feels like the opposite of a tourist-factory resort. it isn't a luxury fancypants polished hotel. if you prefer quiet, access to beautiful nature (snorkeling right off deck is awesome) and laid back atmosphere this is perfect. we can't wait to go back.

p.s. if you can't find staff you knock on the office door. took me a while to figure that out.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Land's End was very good to us. The staff gave great service and advice on how to navigate West End. The setting is unique - overlooking the island's lava rock the infinite pool is one of the most unique on the island. At night one feels away from the rollicking West End, but in fact you're just a five minute walk away. The included breakfast is simple and satisfying and the 5 deer that roam the grounds are tame and quickly become part of your family. Snorkeling is sublime and accessible from Lands End's ground. As with most places the staff can help you set up scuba packages or whatever else your pleasure may be.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Great place to stay if you want to get a little peace and quiet and only a 5 minute walk from town. The restaurant food is great, Addie and the staff are awesome and completely accomidating The snorkling out front is fantastic and I even saw an octupus by day and a snake eel that I've never even seen diving before. (My dive masters didn't beleive me until I proved it with a photo). Also, the rooms were clean and affordable. Finally, the small fresh air bar and infinity pool are great places to enjoy the green flash sunsets that come with a super sweet staff every evening.
I'm writing this review about 8 months after staying there after having a horrible experience in Cozumel, Mexico last week. It made me realize what an amazing trip I had staying at Lands End and how I hope to get back sometime real soon. Thanks Addie for a great trip! (Sorry it took me so long)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was quite a lovely place to stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The ocean front rooms are preferable as they have a small deck and hammock overlooking the sea. The room could use more lighting. The infinity pool is salt water and emptied, cleaned and refilled several times per week. Breakfast was basic including fresh fruit, cereal, toast, bacon and eggs. Other items could be ordered for a low price. The room was cleaned daily, except for under the beds, which I noticed when looking for something that had fallen. The towels and linens are somewhat tattered but changed everyday. It was nice to be within walking distance of town in West End. Overall, a serene, beautiful place which we would certainly return to.

Room Tip: Second floor oceanfront rooms are essential for a pleasant stay.
1 Thank Elaine W
Audubon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Well, actually, I never stayed anywhere else, but I can't imagine that it gets any better. The rooms were clean, the food was excellent, and the staff was extremely accommodating. Great location too!
What more could you ask for?

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Ruidoso, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Lands' End is a lovely place to go to if you want to stay away from the hub bub of west end, and particularly west bay beach. You can snorkel from the entry at the front of the resort if the waves aren't very high,and you'll see lots of boats taking scuba divers and snorkelers right out in front of the hotel, so the waters there are great. From Lands End, it is a short walk to Half Moon Bay, and a water taxi to west bay beach if you so desire. They also make excellent recommendations as to other things to do on the island. The food is wonderful and the bar service can't be beat. The staff does everything possible to make you comfortable and fill your requests. I would not hesitate to recommend it. Kudos to Adi, Ava, Ryan, Barry, Mercedes and Elsa.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Toucan room. It had a wonderful view of the ocean and a very nice porch we could s...
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End
Sueno Del Mar Resort
#7 of 7 in West End
2.2 km away
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center

Been to Lands End - Ocean Front Lodge? Share your experiences!