“NOT 4 star service”

Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Panjim
Atlanta, Georgia
“NOT 4 star service”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at Hotel Fidalgo for a week while on a business trip. This property was deemed to be "nice for foreigners." The rooms were aesthetically unappeasing but the worst part was the smell coming from the bathrooms. It consistently smelled of an unclean toilet. Also the showers are not partitioned from the rest of the bathroom so everything in the bathroom, with the exception of the countertops, got wet. There were only 2 handheld hairdryers to be shared amongst all the hotel guests. Every morning I would have to call reception and ask for them to find me a hand dryer. It would typically take an hour for the staff to locate one of the two. Every afternoon they would remove it from my room when I left for the office so the next morning I would have to go through the process all over again. Also don't plan on relaxing by the pool past midnight. The staff will kick you out at 24:00 sharp. The biggest problem I had was the staff cleaning rooms at 7:00 in the morning. The walls/doors certainly weren't sound proof and they were talking loudly, slamming things, etc. They woke me up every morning at 7:30 to ask if I had laundry to send out. I repeatedly asked management to ensure that they left me alone in the mornings since I worked late nights, but they ALWAYS called my room and woke me up to ask this.
My confirmed reservations were also incorrect. I changed my reservation date two weeks before arrival. Upon arrival the hotel, the staff argued that I never changed my date and that they were booked to capacity. I showed them my confirmed, printed reservation and they eventually found a room for me. My coworkers reservation was also incorrect and when he arrived at 2am, for his room, they wouldn't provide him with one even though he had a reservation confirmation number. He spent over an hour trying to find somewhere else to stay in the city.
I was very disappointed with this hotel and certainly will chose a different hotel on my next trip to Goa.

Room Tip: Don't chose the economy rooms. If you HAVE to stay there, it is worth it to upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Aundrea N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I had the misfortune of staying at the Fidalgo recently and must say that i came back extremely disappointed. The services are befitting that of a non star property with basics like towels, slippers, tea/coffee supplies missing from the rooms and what was shocking was the attitude of the staff right from the top to the bottom. I would strongly recommend that you find a better property which gives you value for money. Fidalgo charges you like a star property and gives you services and attitude like a dharamshala. The rooms are very basic and lack any modern luxuries. The property is fit for only cheap tour operators and not business and tourists wanting some luxury and comfort.

Room Tip: Stay Away from the property if you can.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ViiveckVerma
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Conveniently located in the heart of Panaji.
Good Hotel for people who have come to Goa for Business purpose, otherwise it is advisable to stay in sea facing hotels only.
Room Tariff is bit high. Rooms are are comfortable and spacious.
Food price is very high (as is in most places in Goa)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Rahul M
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Fidalgo is situated in Panjim and one of the better business hotels since choice is limited. If you are looking for a business trip, this is one of the hotels to consider in the heart of the city. Though the rooms do not boast of a good view, they are comfortable and spacious. I had stayed in one of the superior rooms which was very good. The breakfast buffet is quite nice and they have a good assortment of muffins. The food is tasty and the hotel has one of the better restaurants in the vicinity. The service levels needs improvements though. The staff is not very courteous.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashsagar
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Ref to Mr.Ramesh Gupta, we are the regular customer I mean everyday we come to Aunty Maria and normally we don't get complimentary cookies on a pot of coffee or tea. It has been years that we keep asking them but they always refused.some days back we got cookies but today all of the sudden we get a note that we stop giving complimentary cookies for the past 1 month when the cookies was served yesterday midnight. We met Mniwal Dabnoth a very rude Manager of Aunty Maria. I am the member of Fidalgos and previously when we claim the voucher for my birthday cake they refused to give me. They take Rs. 5000 for the membership and when it came for a birthday cake or a bottle of wine they refused to give. Once we ordered a club sandwich and in the plate they give french fries, over the fries they replace it with little chips and they refused to give french fries saying we stop giving french fries. I mean when it is wriiten on the menu card please provide the same and don't bully the customers. Again once they served the sandwiches very cold and stale.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Newton Fernandes
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We had very bad experience at hotel reception. First they quoted some rates and told up that they are giving some discount. But later on we came to know that the actual rate was at least 20% less than given to us.
At the time of check out, the reception and accounts people made us wait for more than 90 minutes with one or other pretext. Either system not working, accountant was absent for sometime. There were no records maintained. This all was despite our communication previous night that we were to check out next morning. One person named Alwyn had told us everything is ready but nothing was done. Even when we placed order for coffee and sandwich, they gave us tea at below room temperature and did not provide sandwich for 1 hour.
Very poor show by hotel staff and frustrating for the tourist.

• Stayed January 2012
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This is purely a review of the celebrations in one of the restaurants of Hotel Fidalgo and does not reflect the quality of rooms or their restaurants or their room service.
Having enjoyed the previous year on Christmas evening, we decided to go there again. What a disappointment it was. The group that was called from Phillipines for singing was poor and were not even smartly dressed. The compering was dull and left many to wonder if there would be life in the evening and the scene at the covered pool was like a fish market -- in short, chaotic. Many people were not served well and some did not receive the drinks or snacks as desired as the evening was not well organized. There was a less courteous hired bouncer who was more interested in watching the Phillipinas closely rather than to watch the scene discretely from the perephery. The boys who were supposed to serve the tables were a confused lot but they did their best as they were called to all places by everyone present even before they could complete their first task. Soon there was a free for all at the food courts as people were not served at many places as they were probably sitting in a forgotten corner !! Food quality was left much to be desired --especially the Veggies dept; not the Hotel Fidalgo quality. In short, the mess was due to poor planning and execution. II think the F&B manager has to share a large slice of this mess and he was supposed to be the "Tarzan" of that event. In the melee, the Kitty Charms ended their show whimpily for the DJ's to continue the evening. Most of the songs that were selcted did not have life. Mr F&B manager, I and my friends have decided not to attend your Christmas evenings in future unless you decide to improve the situation. Get better compering and better bands for the music along with the tasty dishes of Mirch Masala and Legacy of Bombay.

Room Tip: I recommend that young people who want to spend a great Christmas evening should be in the coast and...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends