“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Panjim
India
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Great location, nice food including an excellent breakfast and a lovely room made our stay at Fidalgo a very happy one.

On the negative side, the hotel is very expensive. Reception needs to learn to smile.

The hotel is located in the heart of the shopping district of Panjim. If you don’t care about the shops but prefer to just contemplate life, the Mandovi river which is a ten minute slow walk down quiet streets is the ideal place. The Panjim Municipal Market, another interesting place, is on the way to the river.

There is a taxi stand in front of the hotel and a rickshaw stand at the other end of the hotel.

The Privilege Premium room was very spacious and beautifully furnished. It didn’t have much of a view but that wasn’t much of a negative considering the beauty of the room itself. The beds were comfortable and the hot water in the shower was probably the best I’ve experienced in my many hotel stays so far - the water remained uniformly hot throughout without becoming too hot. The bathroom is quite small. The air-conditioning was a little uneven in different parts of the room but not enough to complain about. The breakfast is outstanding. Great variety, tasty food.

The price of the room reflects all the positives and is probably much more than I would want to or could pay in normal circumstances. There are cheaper hotels if you look around although they are not in the same class as Fidalgo, of course.

The hotel has around 4 restaurants, each serving different cuisines including street food of Bombay, Goan cuisine, Gujarati food and a multi-cuisine one. We tried the Goan restaurant – O Goa. The food was par excellence, service however was very slow, which is actually probably a problem all through Goa. There was a live music show at the restaurant and most of the patrons had come for a drink and to watch the girls in the show, so they probably didn’t even notice the service!

‘Reception’ was definitely cold but largely efficient. Check out could have been smoother.

If some friends of mine had not been accused of taking away a box of tissues and had their bags checked at an earlier visit (for a plastic box of tissues!!!!), I would have rated the hotel much higher than I have.

Room Tip: The hotel is surrounded by buildings, so don't bother to choose a room based on the view. The Pr...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank CharlesBrown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at Hotel Fidalgo for a week while on a business trip. This property was deemed to be "nice for foreigners." The rooms were aesthetically unappeasing but the worst part was the smell coming from the bathrooms. It consistently smelled of an unclean toilet. Also the showers are not partitioned from the rest of the bathroom so everything in the bathroom, with the exception of the countertops, got wet. There were only 2 handheld hairdryers to be shared amongst all the hotel guests. Every morning I would have to call reception and ask for them to find me a hand dryer. It would typically take an hour for the staff to locate one of the two. Every afternoon they would remove it from my room when I left for the office so the next morning I would have to go through the process all over again. Also don't plan on relaxing by the pool past midnight. The staff will kick you out at 24:00 sharp. The biggest problem I had was the staff cleaning rooms at 7:00 in the morning. The walls/doors certainly weren't sound proof and they were talking loudly, slamming things, etc. They woke me up every morning at 7:30 to ask if I had laundry to send out. I repeatedly asked management to ensure that they left me alone in the mornings since I worked late nights, but they ALWAYS called my room and woke me up to ask this.
My confirmed reservations were also incorrect. I changed my reservation date two weeks before arrival. Upon arrival the hotel, the staff argued that I never changed my date and that they were booked to capacity. I showed them my confirmed, printed reservation and they eventually found a room for me. My coworkers reservation was also incorrect and when he arrived at 2am, for his room, they wouldn't provide him with one even though he had a reservation confirmation number. He spent over an hour trying to find somewhere else to stay in the city.
I was very disappointed with this hotel and certainly will chose a different hotel on my next trip to Goa.

Room Tip: Don't chose the economy rooms. If you HAVE to stay there, it is worth it to upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Aundrea N
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I had the misfortune of staying at the Fidalgo recently and must say that i came back extremely disappointed. The services are befitting that of a non star property with basics like towels, slippers, tea/coffee supplies missing from the rooms and what was shocking was the attitude of the staff right from the top to the bottom. I would strongly recommend that you find a better property which gives you value for money. Fidalgo charges you like a star property and gives you services and attitude like a dharamshala. The rooms are very basic and lack any modern luxuries. The property is fit for only cheap tour operators and not business and tourists wanting some luxury and comfort.

Room Tip: Stay Away from the property if you can.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ViiveckVerma
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Conveniently located in the heart of Panaji.
Good Hotel for people who have come to Goa for Business purpose, otherwise it is advisable to stay in sea facing hotels only.
Room Tariff is bit high. Rooms are are comfortable and spacious.
Food price is very high (as is in most places in Goa)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Rahul M
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Fidalgo is situated in Panjim and one of the better business hotels since choice is limited. If you are looking for a business trip, this is one of the hotels to consider in the heart of the city. Though the rooms do not boast of a good view, they are comfortable and spacious. I had stayed in one of the superior rooms which was very good. The breakfast buffet is quite nice and they have a good assortment of muffins. The food is tasty and the hotel has one of the better restaurants in the vicinity. The service levels needs improvements though. The staff is not very courteous.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashsagar
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Ref to Mr.Ramesh Gupta, we are the regular customer I mean everyday we come to Aunty Maria and normally we don't get complimentary cookies on a pot of coffee or tea. It has been years that we keep asking them but they always refused.some days back we got cookies but today all of the sudden we get a note that we stop giving complimentary cookies for the past 1 month when the cookies was served yesterday midnight. We met Mniwal Dabnoth a very rude Manager of Aunty Maria. I am the member of Fidalgos and previously when we claim the voucher for my birthday cake they refused to give me. They take Rs. 5000 for the membership and when it came for a birthday cake or a bottle of wine they refused to give. Once we ordered a club sandwich and in the plate they give french fries, over the fries they replace it with little chips and they refused to give french fries saying we stop giving french fries. I mean when it is wriiten on the menu card please provide the same and don't bully the customers. Again once they served the sandwiches very cold and stale.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Newton Fernandes
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We had very bad experience at hotel reception. First they quoted some rates and told up that they are giving some discount. But later on we came to know that the actual rate was at least 20% less than given to us.
At the time of check out, the reception and accounts people made us wait for more than 90 minutes with one or other pretext. Either system not working, accountant was absent for sometime. There were no records maintained. This all was despite our communication previous night that we were to check out next morning. One person named Alwyn had told us everything is ready but nothing was done. Even when we placed order for coffee and sandwich, they gave us tea at below room temperature and did not provide sandwich for 1 hour.
Very poor show by hotel staff and frustrating for the tourist.

• Stayed January 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panjim
0.7 km away
6.5 km away
Novotel Goa Resort & Spa
Novotel Goa Resort & Spa
#6 of 64 in Candolim

Been to Hotel Fidalgo? Share your experiences!