“Decent Choice in Bundi”

Haveli Braj Bhushanjee, Heritage Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bundi
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This haveli is quite lovely with beautiful murals on the walls -- particularly in the dining room. We stayed in the new, cheaper part of the hotel, and it was basic but fine. For the price, it was a very good value. The veg dinner I had in the restaurant was excellent, and breakfast each day was also good.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We came here after moving out of an unsatisfactory hotel nearby. Frankly the Brahmin owners couldn't have been more helpful, showing us round the traditionally decorated hotel ( this is no less a hotel than those on the "hotels" list), and showing us three comfortable rooms with views up to the palace and good facilities. We signed up also for their vegetarian , no alcohol dinner which to our surprise turned out to be a no menu/choose big or smaller please type of arrangement which whilst not at all unpleasant was not the same as a meal chosen yourself.

We liked the Braj Bhushanjee, and would certainly stay there again, but maybe finding somewhere else for dinner would be preferable.

Those visiting Bundi should be aware that there is a power cut throughout the town for two hours each morning. Hotels such as this one with much solar power can offer a continuity of light and hot water. Others can't.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DavidHBerkshire_UK
Reviewed 19 November 2011

The hotel is historic and a thing of beauty, the rooms are comfortable, but I got the feeling the owners don't really like having you there. They offer no service like taxis, laundry or helping you with ongoing travel or tours. We organised an trip with a amateur archeologist and they were not happy with us chatting in the courtyard, we actually went to the hotel across the road and continued our conversation there. The food in the restaurant is pretty dull - all up we wish we had stayed at Hotel Nawal Sagar Palace down the road - friendly and happy folk - pleased to see us when we walked into their garden courtyard! Can't say I recommend the Haveli Braj Bhushanjee, they didn't do anything wrong, but it never felt right staying there either.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank sarkos17
haveli21, Manager at Haveli Braj Bhushanjee, Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear Guest,
We do arrange taxi and other travel arrangements, but you did not asked for these services.
As regards to the person you have commented, dose not have and license and he is not authorized to take tourist for sightseeing. He is just a tout and we do not allow touts in our haveli.
You must appreciate that we have postponed your reservation and accommodate you without any charges, in busy season of Nov 2011.

Reviewed 10 October 2011

My stay at this hotel started off just fine, until the morning I left. On the day I was leaving, I encountered the worst hotel experience of my life. Checkout was in the morning, however my train did not depart until around 11pm. I asked to leave my luggage at the hotel while I spent the day in the city. I was told "no" and that I would have to pay for another night stay at the hotel. Was I supposed to roll my luggage around the dirt streets of Bundi? Pretty dangerous, as I was traveling alone. In this big mansion that I had just overpaid several nights for, they could not offer me some small closet in their mansion to place my 1 piece of luggage for a few hours? This turned into an argument with the younger owner ignoring me and the older one yelling at me to leave the hotel. I have never seen anything like this in my life. Thankfully, the very nice restaurant owner a few doors down was very happy to keep my bag there. Good business man...I had 3 meals there and it was amazing.

I checked out the Bundi Vilas just up the street and it is much nicer, friendler and is much better value than this place.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
17  Thank Rich C
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of a train trip around Rajasthan. Bundi is a beautiful place to go and we were pleased to be staying in this hotel. We had some train troubles on the way and didn't arrive until 4am. We phoned the hotel to let them know and they were very understanding and even got someone to sleep in the reception so they could let us in when we arrived. They also cooked us a late breakfast when we finally appeared the next afternoon. The room itself was beautiful - clean and spacious with an intricately decorated ceiling. The restaurant and reception area are really amazing with lovely old wooden furniture. And the food in the restaurant was realy really great and very good value. My only tip for travellers going to Rajasthan in January is to take warm clothes. It was freezing at night and none of the hotels are equipped for the cold. It was unusually cold this year but we were surprised how cold it got as soon as the sun went down.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Seymour_snail
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We visited this hotel during our trip to Rajasthan.We have seen all review and decided to go Haveli Braj Bhushanjee. We have also visited other hotels in Bundi, but our selection was the best. There is several price of rooms from old decor room to new rooms with views. We selected old decor room with nice view of garden. Room was very confortable and large bathroom and setting place outside the room with SWING !!.
We ate our meals at haveli's dinning room, which is best part of hotel and food too is best in Bundi. Finally, owner is very helpfull, very honest and gentel. We highly recommond this place in term of comfort, view, deocr, old charm,food and many more.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank man12123
Reviewed 16 May 2011

This hotel is a living history. Room was very large, light and airy with beautiful window seats and excellent view. Beds are very comfortable. The bathroom was one on the best we came across in out travels, with a separate shower so the whole bathroom did not flood. The owner and staff were very helpful . The roof top view to the Palace and Fort is best in Bundi. We ate in historical dinning room and food too is excellent quality. We highly recommond this hotel in all the guest.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, particularly old rooms.