“Cosy place in a great location.”
Review of Twin Bay Resort

Twin Bay Resort
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Cosy place in a great location.”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at Twin bay resort for 19 days in april 2012 in a beachfront bungalow.

Must say that the location is just great with just some meters to the ocean, and the pool close by.

Lots of trees and a very green resort at all.

Staff are very friendly and have always a smile on their faces.

Yes it is a little bit from Saladan village but if you hire a motorbike or take a tuktuk you reach the village in a couple of minuits.

Cleaning in the room is perfect, and the cleaninglady make nice decorations with the towels every day.

Breakfast is average. Toast, jam, youghurt,cornflakes, fruits, juice, coffe, the, egg in all forms, pancakes, thaifood, bacon. .

Even though the resort was full booked for some days we were there was it quiet and calm. There was always place to have a sunbed even if you slept a little longer in the morning.
Poolarea a very nice and clean with a bar close by.

Extra plus for free WIFI in the room.

If you like to watch tv in the night you have a tv in the room. But the channels were pretty boring. Maybe there will be better later on.

On the minus i must mention the pretty boring bathroom. Concrete with some strange red colour. But after som days you did not think about it. But overall ok.

The beds are very hard.

Floor in room 332 are very noisy when you walk at it.

Overall we are very pleased and will come back and will surely recommend it for other who want a realxing vacation. The resort lives up to the expectations.

During our stay we had a tsunamiwarning and i must say that the manager handle it in a very good way.

Good luck with the renovations!

Michael& Åsa Andersson

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Michael and Asa

Morning greetings from the pool bar. As always, it is a great pleasure to open up TripAdvisor over coffee and see what the world thinks of us. Yet again a lovely review of quote "A cosy place in a great location" Thank you for that.

Yes the Tsunami event was out of the blue and luckily nothing more than a scare. It was all the guests that made the evacuation so orderly and as you said it was handled well because of that. Down to breakfast, i agree for long staying guests like yourselves, Breakfast can be a bit on the boring side, I've had 5 months of it and will certainly be looking at ways to vary it for next high season. A good breakfast equals a hassle free day in my mind.

The accommodation side of things. I do agree that the red splatter on the walls doesn't hit the note with some people, including myself, so i will be arming the staff with paint brushes now that the low season is here and aim to give them all a new and fresher look. Bed hardness has on occasions been brought to my attention and we did buy additional mattress covers to fit on those beds that we know about having a problem. Time to rethink our mattress policy is clearly due. The squeaky floor was mentioned previously by another guests back in December i think.. Let me see what my engineer can do about that.

Renovations and decorations have started and comments like yours highlight areas that need to be added to my "to do list"

Thanks once again for a lovely review and look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future,

rm@twinbaylanta.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My family and many friends (13 of us, 8 adult and 5 kids) have just returned from spending 5 days at the Twin Bay resort. I had never been to Koh Lanta before and had no idea what to expect. So after searching the web I came across Twin bay reviews on Tripadvisor. They seemed mostly to be positive but their was some not so happy campers. What impressed me was the response back from Jon the Resort manager to the people in question. he was honest, thorough and very simpathetic with their complaints and feedback. This is what actually persuaded me to stay here funnily enough.
Well, all I can say is I am so glad that I went with my gut instinct and stayed at this resort because it was awesome.

The staff were so friendly even down to the lovely hospitality cleaning staff - they were always first to offer a sawadee greeting and smile everytime. The reception staff were always abliged to help you in any way- whether it was to do with tours or hiring tuk tuk motorbikes or problems with lanuage barrier- they were there to help.
The bar staff were great fun and you could have a laugh with them. The only downside was their lack of selections of alcohol as it was the end of the good season and the hotel wasn't ordering any new stock (understandable) But we had fun making up our own drinks to compensate.

The accomodation was fantastic and clean. We had booked three types of accomodation offered.
A standard room x 2, Family room and Beachfront . Jon upgraded one of our families to a beachfront suite for the family of 5 that were travelling with us.(Thanks Jon). This was a perfect size for them.

The buffet breakfast was great offering a selection of western food. Even more entertaining was when the cheeky monkey came from nowhere and stole the bunch of bananas he had been eyeing off - "a very rare site this was" the locals were saying but extremly amusing for all those that saw it that morning.

The kids loved the pool -we loved it all!
Its a short distance into the main town area and hiring a tuk tuk motor bike from locals made it cheaper for us to commute.

All in all I am so happy we stayed here an look forward to staying at Twin Bay again. Jon (RM) is true to his word and is puting 150% in to have this place up to a higher standard with new renovations, new staff and training and upgrading old procedures to be new and fresh.
An interesting man with a great sense of humour who doesnt mind a chat while he works away.
You will love the layed back lifestyle here. Yes we will be back!

Lisa

Room Tip: Beachfront suites are great - for a few dollars more well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Lisa and crew,

You just made my morning coffee taste that much better. I just shared this review with one of my staff and the smile it brought to her was real.

We all remember you and the gang you brought along in tow. Nothing better than 13 Aussies on a mission to enjoy themselves. You clearly did that and entertained the locals admirably i must say. I think you summed up your stay and the resort in general as the way i saw/see it. Yes there are things to do to bring it up to the standard i and the owner expect and our sleeves are rolled up now that low season has finally arrived.

I for sure and the remainder of my team will certainly look forward to your return and i promise to have the bar fully stocked.

Singapore
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We were there only for 2 nights. Would have been ideal to stay there for another 2. The family bungalows are very nice and the area is very green! Being able to walkout to the beach is nice. The restaurant is quite nice, not too pricey and serves some western as well. Very kid friendly environment.

It took us THB2700 and 2 hours to get from the airport to this place, that was not so great especially for a short trip. We had the hotel book the ride, on the way we booked our own ride and it was thb2200. the town Sala Dan is a 50 thb per person ride away and has 7-11 and restaurants. Very friendly people as always! Would certainly go back for a longer time. We went in April so only a couple of other families there. It probably gets much busier at other times

You can get day tours via boat which start off right from the beach! Snorkelling is nice, of course.

Room Tip: Family bungalows are nice! Dont know much aboutmother rooms. Get the beach facing one if possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review of Twin Bay resort. Singapore is only a hop skip and a jump from Koh Lanta and makes for a great long weekend get away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

I agree the airport transfer is quite steep but we have to use an outsourced company for this as we do not have a suitable minibus (yet) to arrange the transfers ourselves. Once we do acquire a minibus i will certainly look at the pricing. Likewise the tuk tuk trips, again outsourced and would very much to have our own the next high season.

I am delighted that you would consider visiting us again and hope we have that opportunity in the not too distant future.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Great resort, fab location, pool amazing and beautifully clean, great family place, clean rooms, food in the restaurant is amazing, only slightly higher prices than in town prices but ten times better.

A few minor irritations that were easily rectified by the manager and staff, some very surly staff that didn't add to the ambience, but equally some really lovely staff who made up the balance.

We were a big group with kids in tow and this was a great place to stay. Would come back and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear valued Guest

Again i would use your nae if i knew it but the profile only says Fizz. Well from that name i can only assume it is drink related or you are a bubbly character. I clearly remember a " posse" of Kiwis coming through Twin Bay and i guess you were one of them. Please correct me if i am wrong of course.

It is reviews like yours, and others before you, that truly make my work and commitment to Twin Bay so worthwhile. I've had sleepless nights in the past but my sleep patterns are now becoming more stable. Anyhow, still lots more to do to please and meet our guest's expectations, low season sounds low but in reality its just a mask for acting on all reviews and comments i have received during the last 5 months of managing here.

Thanks once again for your kind words. The " very surly staff " i believe have now left as the season closes.but "smiling courses" start this coming Monday

Coventry
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We recently stayed at Twin Bay for 5 nights during our visit to Thailand. We stayed in an Executive Beach Front room which was fantastic! Jon made our visit very enjoyable, welcoming us when we arrived after a long day travelling from Koh Samui. Jon is always available to talk during your stay to help with any questions you may have. The location is superb, a beautiful beach/ 5 mins into Saladan Town centre on a Tuk Tuk, which are always readily available outside the hotel. The hotel has a superb swimming pool which is set in beautiful surroundings, sun beds always readily available, with a pool bar close to hand (happy hour starts at 17:00). Our room was cleaned beatifully everyday, the towels configured as a different animal on the bed each day. The restaurant offers excellent value for money, be careful not to order too much as the portions are large! Overall an excellent 3 star hotel with the potential to increase to a 5 star with some investment/ changes in personnel in some areas, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would visit again during a trip to Ko Lante, ideal for both couples and families.

Room Tip: Definitely an Executive beach front room!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Kevin

Many thanks for a wonderful review of Twin Bay. I noted that you both were very quick to de-stress after your journey from Koh Samui.

Naturally i have posted this review, as i do with all reviews, on the staff board to let them know what are guests are saying about us. It was a pleasure to welcome you both and to organize the congratulatory dinner on the terrace..

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the not too distant future.

Resort manager
London
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I booked this resort back at the beginning of October 2011, and then started having serious doubts!! Lots of negative reviews made me question whether we should cancel, but having reassurance from the new Manager Jon we decided to stick with it. And glad we did!

The location is perfect with beautiful surroundings and lots of wildlife (kids heaven). We saw eagles, butterflies, lizards and even a monkey who came and stole bananas from the breakfast buffet! The pool is nice and we never had a problem with finding a sunbed and the view from the pool to the beach is fantastic.

Yes, the place is tired and does need a re-vamp, but for the low season price we paid, we were happy. As already mentioned in previous posts, room safes would be beneficial and better water pressure in the shower but we managed for our five nights and Jon even gave us somewhere to store our valuables.

The breakfast buffet was good with someone cooking eggs however you wanted each morning. The food in the restaurant was also of a good quality but their caesar salad did make me laugh - came without croutons, so I asked the waitress for some and she seemed to understand but brought me back 2 pieces of toast!! That aside, the burgers, lasagne and pad thai were very enjoyable.

Cocktails by 'Tom Cruise' were surprisingly delicious and the cold beer went down well with the other half! Kids enjoyed the fruit shakes that were available! Bar shut at 10pm each night but the tv was kept on for guests wanting to watch sport!

On our last day we had the tsunami warning which was a little scary (to say the least), Jon however made certain all guests were made aware and evacuated to safety and once it was all over, we were offered a free buffet dinner at the restaurant, which was a nice touch.

There is a very laid back feel to this resort which is common to the Thailand we have seen already! Would I go back? Yes if the price is right!

Room Tip: Beach front view was great/family room was large and clean
2 Thank Superma
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Marion.

Many thanks for your review. I must admit i was very embarrassed when you checked in and i had not followed up with my promises on the "large safe" and Family room within arms length. I guess my excuse sounded weak but it was genuine.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that all that anxiety faded away once you tasted Tom Cruise's adhoc cocktail mixes. I have decided to offer croutons for breakfast along side the salad bar in memory of your experience. The Tsunami evacuation went well as you said, and we have learnt a few things from it to have on standby if we should receive any other warnings, The guests were very orderly which made the whole thing a lot easier.

As i said to you before you left, feel free to contact me directly if you would like to return and i'm sure i can find space for such a nice and fun family that you were. Well the low season is almost upon us so its time to work on the "re-vamp" as you mentioned, but will not change the ambiance the resort affords all our guests.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 2 April 2012

It was a good stay, but there are three issues that really bother me with this hotel:
The first is the layout of the bathroom, with one room for toilet, one room for shower and the sink between in the same room as the bed. Also the lack of a towel hanger by the sink was just strange.

The second issue is the lack of security box in the room. I travel with my laptop and wants to lock it away during the days. The box provided in the reception was really smal and only fit passport and money.

That take me to the third, housekeeping didn´t lock the room then they was finished. If the hotel doesn´t want to be responsible if anything is missing in the room, THEN LOCK THE DOOR!
I feel lucky that my laptop and camera still was in the room then i came back from the divboat at 18 in the evening. It also took 2 days after my complain until the started to lock.

Otherwise it was a great hotel, good breakfast, clean rooms, and calm area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank terLag
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest, ( i would use your name but not sure from your profile what it is.)

Thanks so much for your review and indeed 3 very valid points you have raised. I agree that a safety box in each room is needed, and that is in my proposed budget for this low season upgrade/renovation plan.

The second point about the bathroom. Due to room configuration it is hard to adjust, but certainly the space issue for clothing and hanging is on my list of things to provide this coming high season.

The final point of housekeeping not closing the door. I think it was probably not house keeping but a faulty lock problem on the room itself. "never say never" and i wont. I will certainly have a sweep of all rooms for any problems with locks. I have been here since December 2012 and on a number of occasions we have had to change/adjust locks because of the heat that shrinks the doors. Anyway a worthy reminder of what we have to look out for.

Many thanks again for your review and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future

best regards