“Great food”

Malina's Kitchen
Ranked #9 of 396 Restaurants in Ko Lanta
Cuisines: American, European, Thai
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Really enjoyed our lunch their! Great food, cool vibe and friendly owner. If you’re on kho Lanta go check this place out.

230malinak, Owner at Malina's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Jan
Thank you for your nice review.
Hope to see you again one sunny day :)
Best regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I ate there two times during my stay in Koh Lanta and everything tasted great. I ate massaman curry, pad thai, som tam and sticky rice with mango. The prices were also cheap. Recommend!

Thank you for your kind review Laura.
We are glad that you enjoyed your visits here and hope the rest of your travel experiences are just as good.
Best regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited on the strength of the reviews of the curry and found the red curry extremely disappointing, easily the worst we've had on the island - no spice or flavour. The massaman curry was also very poor.

230malinak, General Manager at Malina's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear A Londoner

We have had no complaints in restaurant?
If you really are disappointed with a meal I suggest you let the staff know at the time to give them the chance to see if an error was made in preparation. You say you read the reviews and as they are by far and away glowing, It should be quite obvious that if there is really something wrong with your food then surely something should be said in restaurant as this is not normal.

If we aren't notified and given this chance to test for errors then we have to assume that as the vast majority love our food and tell us so in restaurant and often leave lengthy, detailed, highly positive reviews, then it just doesn't suit your taste.

If you go to one of the top rated restaurants and have the worst food then your experience is clearly opposite to most everyone else and there is more to it than we have just become rubbish all of a sudden. Either there is an error somewhere or your taste is different to most everyone else.

Sorry but what else can I say? No mention in restaurant, no chance to see if we made an error, no idea if a real complaint or a competitor trying to bring us down. Therefore we look at the happy people leaving the restaurant telling us it was delicious and carry on as before.

To all our previous customers who love our massaman and red curry. Don't worry, we haven't changed a thing.

To all future customers. Most people love our food. We hope you feel the same. If not, please don't be shy and have the decency to let us know in restaurant if something is wrong. If we really do make an error, we will gladly correct it.

We look forward to seeing you :)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my partner made a special trip to Malinas’ kitchen after seeing good reviews.
We weren’t disappointed!!
The first time we went was for lunch and we were the only two people in there. Malina was on her own cooking and taking orders. I had the garlic beef with extra dried chilli and it was spectacular!

The second time we went was for dinner. We were lucky to get a table as the restaurant gets very busy in the evenings between 7-9. Malina was in the kitchen full time with another cook and a 3rd member of staff taking orders and making drinks. The food was still top notch even though you could see how busy it was for the staff!

The 3rd time was for lunch and the restaurant was busy again (always a good sign of how good the food is) but we came away full and happy with the service and smiles we received.

I can’t stress how much of a must visit this restaurant is! You can see that Malina takes so much pride in her cooking and it really becomes apparent when you taste the food! The prices are very reasonable too.

1  Thank tabithamahe
230malinak, Owner at Malina's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for the lovely review and for being such a loyal customer during your stay.
It was a pleasure to meet you both and we hope to see you again one day soon.
Safe travels

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend were eager to eat here due to the great reviews. Unfortunately I cannot say we shared such a great experience. We weren’t greeted or even looked at when entering, to be fair clearly the waitress was busy as the restaurant was full, but even after sitting ourselves at the bar while waiting for a table there was no acknowledgement of us being there for a good 5 minutes. I am not sure why there is only one waitress, there needs to be at least two to cater for every table here, as I have no doubt it’s full here every night. My boyfriend had to get his own drinks from the fridge twice as we weren’t asked. It took an hour and a half for even our starters to come, then when my main came it was the wrong dish and had to be redone, so by the time my boyfriend finished his food mine arrived. I heard another 2 people say their food wasn’t what they had ordered. The food was nice but not as delicious as I was hoping. Overall I really had high hopes here but was disappointed. Had the service been efficient and friendly it could have completely changed the entire experience, although she cannot be blamed for being busy - I really hope you consider another waiter/waitress to spread the workload and focus on service.

1  Thank Tishgibbs
230malinak, General Manager at Malina's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Tish

We are sad to hear you feel disappointed.

In the evenings, especially at peak hours (usually from about 7pm till 9pm), the restaurant can be full. If so, we normally try to greet people at the entrance and explain that we are full and a fair wait could be expected. If people seem unsure about wanting to wait we are not shy to advise to either come back later that evening or perhaps earlier on another evening. As you say, our waitress was very busy dealing with the full restaurant so unfortunately it sounds like we didn't get that message to you and it took a while to get to you so we do apologise.

Our business has been getting busier and busier this season as word gets out about what we are doing here and we are currently understaffed for the few critical moments we can encounter, such as when the restaurant fills up suddenly rather than filling up gradually or we have staff off sick. It isn't by choice as it has proved difficult to find competent staff at this late stage in the season (many of the workers in hospitality/tourism based businesses migrate here just for the season from north or central Thailand for specific jobs) but hopefully we should have a new starter in the next few days.

Re. The drinks. Same thing, full restaurant, staff working flat out but I do apologise that we didn't get to check on you often enough in this instance. If you grab our attention someone would have got you the drinks. I would also ask people to kindly not go behind the bar and help themselves as I don't know if the drinks go on the bill? Please don't be shy to ask excuse me if you need something.
Sorry to compound your displeasure as we also made a mistake by initially giving you green curry instead of red. There was a mix-up between a couple of tables and we had to cook you a fresh dish.

Once again, sorry that you felt disappointed. If you chose to come back at a less busy time i'm sure you will enjoy your next visit.

To put this in perspective to those that have not visited us, please understand that we are at the moment a small Thai restaurant. 8(ish) tables, 6 burners, 1 main chef. This season, with our new location, and being separate from a resort (as was the case previously), many more people are reviewing us (rather than the resort getting the reviews) and as the reviews are on the whole very, very positive, this has resulted in a big increase in demand. Most of the time we do great as can be seen in the vast majority of reviews but occasionally on really full evenings, the last table or so can be an issue if the customer is not unhurried and we neglect to warn of potential time. If you arrive and we are full and you are not in an unhurried position, please ask us for a rough time estimate and we will do so if we haven't already given you an indication of time as you arrived. If we are full It's not likely to be rapid though to be honest!

Happily,we are expecting the new staff member to start in a few days. It is also getting towards the end of season and the island is getting quieter. Our business hasn't tailed off as is normal for late March in Lanta and we are still busy, but tonight for example we were just a few tables quieter and everyone got served in good order.

IMPORTANT: Please note that as per the signs, our parking is at the side of the building and NOT at the front by the main road. This area is no longer shared and our entrance and parking is along the the side road going up the hill. Scooters can come over our little 'bridge' and park directly by the side of the restaurant. We have no jurisdiction in the front area and advise you not to leave your vehicle there. If we spot you parking there we will tell you but we don't always see and cannot be held responsible.