“Paradise Pearl? Paradise Lost....”

Phi Phi Paradise Pearl Resort
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Overpromises and underdelivers.

This was our second visit to Paradise Pearl. Very different experience from 2009. Long Beach is expensive in comparison to other Thai islands and you have to accept that you won't get great value at all here. The rooms are a bit tired and definitely lacking in style. Recommend Phi Phi Blue Sky's Deluxe bungalows as a far better alternative for the same price.

We found the restaurant staff this time incredibly jaded - indifferent verging on unhelpful - although the food is very good value. We were also incredibly taken aback to find that Paradise Pearl have initiated the reserving of tables for dinner - something quite uncommon to Thailand - and most unwelcome. To arrive at 7pm to find no free tables but the best 6 beachfront tables empty and bearing reserved signs is definitely not very friendly.

On a plus, the spa is still as beautiful as ever. Prices are reasonable i.e. in line with others on Long Beach, but its a more pampered relaxed service. That said, the girls have clearly been trained to "sell" . It happened every time I opted for something under B500, they'd sweetly ask if I wouldn't prefer a different (and more expensive) massage! After a B300 1hr foot massage, I was offered a half hour shoulder massage for B200 (to bump up to the per customer target, no doubt), yet the next day when time was tight, a half hour service - even at offering more than half the price, was not an option. They preferred to let me and my money go rather than be accommodating despite having plenty of girls available to do it.

Lastly, PP have some brand new bungalows - K1-K6. They look smart, but beware - incredibly expensive, at B7000. Definitely not worth this. Or even the B5500 introductory rate we were offered. The workmanship is poorly finished and I suspect that in a few months the lustre will have dulled further. Lighting in the bathroom was poor and the design was such that watching TV was only possible from the bed - but you couldn't see the screen as it was obscured by the mosquito netting round the four poster. We couldn't move the netting properly out of the way, nor could we watch through the net. Small details like this are fundamental to the pricetag, and would be fine if it were a cheap room, which it wasn't.

The biggest problem with the build quality was that whilst there are smart windows and doors keeping the insects out, the gaps between floorboards weren't properly sealed meaning you could see daylight through them (bungalows are elevated on stilts) and hence the mosquitos can get in. The result was over 75 bites in just one night on just myself. We checked out the next morning as nobody wants to pay GBP£110 a night to get eaten alive and spend the night awake and scratching! On the plus side, I expected a fight at reception when I wanted to cancel and have our money back for the rest of the stay, but the reception staff were extremely courteous and apologetic, (possibly because we were repeat customers?) gave me back our money with no issue and took on board my comments on improvement. I guess its just teething trouble for the first few weeks of opening, but still, if you take these K huts, check the floorboards first!!

All in all, the location is great and convenient for Ton Sai, although getting busy with Russians, baby buggies and wheeled suitcases - not the old Thai experience some of us nostalgically yearn for.

Room Tip: Check the floorboards in the K bungalows. Make sure the gaps are sealed against mosquitos.
1  Thank Danielle L

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I'll start this review by saying I lived on Phi Phi Don for 8 months as a Scuba Instructor. Whenever I had some time off and wanted to "get away from it all," I would go to Long Beach and the Phi Phi Paradise Pearl Resort. Whereas the rest of Phi Phi had become very touristy and quite loud, Long Beach and this resort is the most relaxing place to visit. Many of the rooms are a bit different from each other, but all that I stayed in were spacious and clean. The beach is literally steps from the hotel and cleaner then other beaches on Phi Phi. It is a quiet place with very few bars and restaurants. If you're looking to party or have a huge selection of places to eat, this probably isn't the place for you. Prices can vary drastically depending on the season, so be careful to book in advance if possible.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was very pleased with my choice to stay at the Paradise Pearl Resort. I couldnt decide between something closer to the main town or something more remote (usually prefer being in the center of things). I must be getting old because Long Beach was perfect....a few places to have drinks at night; while Tonsai Bay was waaaayyyy too much for me! Long Beach is amazing - not too crowded and fantastic views of Koh Phi Phi Leh. Our room - Q2 (2nd story room) was nice. Bathroom was a little dated and beds were overly firm (as was typical in every hotel I stayed at in Thailand), but there was a huge balcony with a nice table and views of the ocean. I found the staff to be very friendly. They helped organize a private longtail trip to Koh Phi Phi Leh (an hour before we wanted to leave even). Restaurant was very good (lunch and dinner) and the drinks bar made fantastic smoothies and daquiris! Breakfast was just okay....though hard to complain when you are sitting along the beach with such perfect views! You have to pay for wireless and only one of us was able to log on at a time (we would just buy for an hour at a time). I booked through Agoda and had sent a request for pick up at Rassada Pier. No response, but there was someone waiting when our ferry arrived (maybe they just have a guy waiting when every ferry arrives? No idea, but it was free). The day trip to Maya Bay was fantastic. Yes, its crowded, but sooo pretty. We hiked around the interior of Koh Phi Phi Leh and found many secluded swimming areas. One note of warning - at Maya Bay there is a very nice little beach not too far away that looks easy to get to and you wonder why it is completely empty (especially considering the hundreds of people on Maya Bay beach). It is easy to get to as the bay is so shallow you can walk there, but the bay is full of very sharp corals, sea cucumbers & thousands of microscopic jellyfish surrounding that little beach!! They just stung a little bit...not too bad...but they get pretty thick as you get closer to the beach. Clearly we really wanted a break from the crowds becasue we sucked it up and made it through the jellyfish! Overall, I found Long Beach the preferred location on Koh Phi Phi Don and the Paradise Pearl was definitely my favorite hotel on the beach.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We spent in Thailand 3 weeks and Long Beach was definitely our best stay. Paradise Resort was fine but I would recommend to pay more than standard room as we did. The beach is just perfect - not crowded as on Phuket, absolutely great sea, very quiet location easily accessable from the Rassada Pier - 5 min by long tail boat or 10 min by walk - very easy especially during the low tide in the evening. The staff in the hotel was helpful and organised everything we needed.
Long Beach is not for the turists looking for a nightlife but for those who preffer relaxing vacation. On the other hand the city is just a few minutes away...

In spite of 2 cockroaches we killed in our bathroom:-) we can only recommend this location. Such small "animal" is always something you have to take as a fact in destinations like Thailand.

Room Tip: Don´t buy the basic or standard rooms. It is much better to pay more for higher level.
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Best location on ,Phi Phi. The Antares was very busy as most of the guests of other resorts along the beach appeared to be eating here, however service was excellent, a young man Aum, in particular could not be faulted. We never had a meal mix up or an excessive wait for food. We often booked our evening table around 5.30 pm for 6.30 to ensure a front row beachside table with no problems. Twice we managed to stuff up our safe within hours of being there and both instances were responded to promptly. We paid $100 a night for a seaview bungalow and it was well worth it. I would not hesitate to recommend a stay at this hotel, our 6 nights there was a highlight of our trip. There are no money changing facilities on Long Beach so take plenty and bring some water as the small shop is quite expensive compared to Tonsai prices.

Room Tip: Book a seaview bungalow
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cherryblu
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Good Location on Long Beach, which is indeed a stunning beach.
If you have an extra budget, take the bungalow with a sea view, as those ones are new - otherwise, just go for another hotel as rates for the basic bungalow are really overprices.
Here is a summary of the few issues we had:
- Staff: unfriendly, but we did not really care
- Room: We had the Q7 bungalow. Terrible.
Not even clean: sheets were stained and walls with some disgusting stains as well.
A/C does not properly work. I makes a huge noise and stopped at night we did not know why.
- Bathroom: Terrible. Flush was not working, shower was so disgusting that you felt even more dirty after having taken a shower.
- Facilities: there is a restaurant at the hotel which is good. However, it closes at 10pm; so do not even think having late drinks and then come back to eat. Breakfast is OK.
Good thing is the massage area, next to the reception. We had a very good aloe vera massage, much needed after being sunburnt.
- Beach: stunning, clear water, white sands. However, if you want a chair on the beach (free), go early around 9 am otherwise they will be all taken by people that are not event customers from the hotel, as no one is cheking. We had to go to another place further down the beach and pay 100B for 2 chairs.
- Transport: you will have to take a boat to go to the hotel. It is 100B per personn on daytime; 150 at night. Put some flip-flop as you will have to put your feet on the water.
Transportation to go back to the main pier is free when you check out (boat every hour).

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. I am still trying to understand how it can be in the top 10 of Phi Phi hotels on Tripadvisor.
If you are on a small budget, have a look at Viking Hotel, and if you have some extra, either take the sea view bungalows or go to Phi Phi Beach resort, which is also on Long Beach.

Room Tip: Sea View Bungalow
3  Thank anne b
Reviewed 12 February 2012

First impressions were very good. The room was lovely and spacious and clean, set back on a beautiful beach. However with closer inspection we could not sit on the balcony because it was alive with hundreds of ants.we also discovered half way in the first night that we had two ghekkos as house pests. These kept us awake and when we mentioned it to the reception she said she could do nothing about it and if we didn't like then we could leave but makes sure it's before 11am. The food was good here however the staff weren't. Wouldn't stay here again if you paid me too as felt it Was very bad value for money

• Stayed: February 2012