All reviews bamboo hut private beach no hot water main island boat driver your feet huts insects resort thai
Reviewed November 5, 2015 via mobile

Via TripAdvisor one could only book standard bungalows not the bamboo ones they also have.
Everything was in a state of decay. The mosquito net looked as if someone had thrown a handful of brown junk onto the top. Mind you, I could do dirt if it was dirt cheap. At over €50 per night it was nothing but.
Legions of ants.

I knew it was hard to get there and back.
Big letters on the wall announced that there'd be a longtail boat from the pier back to Tohko at 1730. Alas when I was there there wasn't, and the phone wasn't answered either, which meant an hour and a half trek back on a very difficult to find trail thru pitch black jungle. Upon my arrival I did receive an apology. It would have been a nice touch, to have said tonight's dinner is on us.

I'm sure I could have said something about the unsatisfactory state the room was in they would have apologized and done something about it. But at this price I do want to have to deal with this.

As an alternative I suggest following south beach to its very western end, and continue along the water, you're passing many places until you reach sunset whatever. The bungalows are much nicer with fridge and 24h electricity for roughly half.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Daniel W
Reviewed October 28, 2015

Look this property will absolutely polarise...some will love it....some will hate it.
We stayed in a bamboo beach hut over the water at the very front of the property. Getting there is a 500 Baht longboat (negotiate)...unless u fluke the hotel longboat which pulls up twice a day. Reception is on the sand and all the staff including the fat cat and well looked after dog are super friendly. The bamboo hut is .... a hut. Limited power points (electricity kicks in at 6pm and switches off at 6am...everyday)..a fan, a step down seperate bathroom/ shower recess and a tight balcony with a hammock a table and two hand made chairs. There is a mozy net over the bed and trust me you will need this as there are lots of fruit flies and mozzies. NO FRIDGE...NO AIR....but the most amazing view from your balcony and if the urge takes you step out and swim/ snorkel right out of the front of your digs...excellent. (The reef out front is packed with reef fish and giant clams....amazing). Food wise ...the place was a disaster. All of the Thai food we ate was very disappointing...watery and tomato driven...but the western food was interestingly pretty good (burgers/ french toast etc). WIFI is only available in the reception area of the beach but you know what...if connectivity 24hours a day and mods and cons are important...do not come to this resort. This is a chill out/ basic/ beautiful spot. The notion of the beach hut is probably better than the actual experience as we found trying to sleep with waves literally crashing under your pillow pretty tricky. Would I come back...probably not. Would I recommend to others to go....definitely. what you see is exactly what you get

Room tip: WIFI is available on the beach/ reception area.
Date of stay: October 2015
1  Thank Angus17126
Reviewed October 21, 2015

We stayed for two nights in November last year. Reading the previous reviews makes me kind of sad, because I haven't experienced any of the negative points. When we arrived by ferry we were fetched from the harbor and brought to the resort. Yes, we had to wait a little, but I cannot see this as a negative point. Lots of passengers arrive, so it seems only natural to me that things need to be sorted out. We also had booked the ocean view rooms but indeed they are so basic we immediately decided to go for an upgrade. No blame for the owners. The room was described as we found it, but the mosquito issue made us change our mind. We then had a small clean hut with balcony, airconditioning and 'open air' bathroom. This simply means there was now window, but that is was open towards the ocean. The shower was ok (thai standard), and we no issues with cockroaches or anything in the like. I cannot guarantee that there aren't any, and living next to or more or less half in the jungle one might expect animals and insects to be around. The resort is run by a family. The kids go to school on mainland and visit every two weeks. Mother and grandmother run the kitchen and are doing a wonderful job. They make simple, fresh dishes. No chitchat. Just delicious. I would kill for the papaya salad. Before dinner it's great to hang out at the beach, either in a hammock or a chair, a cold drink in your hands and an occasional and very friendly dog around. After dinner you can play pool or have another drink (or two) at the Beach Bar. About electricity: Yes, there was electricity from 6pm-6am. This is quite usual on these islands and we never missed it. I wish I could spent at least one weekend per month at this place.

Date of stay: November 2014
1  Thank Gronings_Expat
Reviewed September 9, 2015

We were excited to be going to the Tokho Beach resort based on previous reviews; however, when we arrived, we were extremely disappointed. The resort was extremely rundown and no attempt seemed to maintain it. The room was filthy and the washroom was to be avoided. In the common area, there was a charge for using the pool table the felt on which was badly ripped. Staff used to the exclusion of guests in any case.

There was only a mid-morning longboat going into town so I was unable to access the dive boats.

When I stated that I would have to change hotels, the acting manager would not give me a refund for any part of the prepaid week. Regardless, I was better off paying for another hotel resort which was cheaper and far better.

Room tip: Go elsewhere
Date of stay: January 2015
4  Thank Drummond89
Reviewed August 25, 2015

I had planned to stay at this hotel until I read the reviews online. There is no electricity from 6-6pm and there is no way of accessing the main town after 5.30pm. As a young couple my partner and I decided to cancel our booking. We paid $400 AUD at booking time and we will never see that money again. we have contacted tohko numerous times and no one responses to us. we have called - they just hang up. We will never see our money again! The owners of this resort should be disgusted in themselves!

Date of stay: August 2015