“I wish I could rate lower than 1 star?”

Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Gold Coast
“I wish I could rate lower than 1 star?”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The management o this place should be ashamed of the service they offer. The resort is in a great location, the hotel itself is about 3.5 star but most of the staff should be trained or replaced. We have been to Thailand 7 times now, and this would have to be the worsed service I have experienced anywhere. Of course ot all started with check in; you have to pay additional 1,000 baht PER NIGHT (x 4 nights) upfront because you only for 1 person?????? Despite the fact we booked a honeymoon suite? OK, after some debate, i paid the upfront $4,000 baht (4x1000) to get into the room because it was so hot. "Wait here and the boy will take you to room"; 2o minutes later, stuff this so we went looking for our room ourselves and found it after another 10 minutes of carryiing 3 suite cases up 3 floors and about 400 metres away from reception. Time to cool off and get a drink (as we didnt get our drink on arrival like promised)? We go to the pool have a dip in the hotest pool we've ever experience; it was so hot we though we'd go have a cold shower next to the pool to cool down - the shower handles fall off and the showers don't work. We fluked a sunbed and asked if there was pool service? "Yes, he come soon" We waited about 25 minutes and asked the towel man again. "He come soon"........he didnt come. After about 35 mintues we decided to go outside the resort and ordered a great meal and cold drinks in a tin roofed resturant. ...2 days later we ordered a drink by the pool and got it, what a joke, cordial with heaps of ice, my wife paid cash as they demanded it? Later, On check out I went to pay, my wife said " I paid cash for those drinks, I said no, look I've signed for it...They made my wife pay cash and then they bought the bill for me to sign after she left? it was only about $10 AUD but it was more than a mistake! The breakfast was terrible, for example if you wanted cereal, you could choose frostys or frostys, sugar coated cornflakes; no muesli, no other alternative? I ordered a green tea; we dont have green tea? Funny for an Asian country not to have green tea (with no smile) In general, The Thai people are the friendliest people on the planet....Something is horribly wrong at this hotel. Check in, a disaster, stay a disater, check out a disater - took hald an hour and wanted to double bill us for drinks we already paid for - by the way the checked with the waiter who admitted taking our cash? We paid good money stay here and recieved the worst service. Sure the location is good - there are better. The hotel is verage average with small rooms. The mould in the bathrooms normally doesnt worry me but this stunk? After here went went to Mercure AoNang and receiced the best service imagineable which made this stay even worse. Cabana Hotel, you need to train your staff or get new staff, clean your rooms and lower your prices. Obviously they knoe Phi Phi is a once only destination and don't count on anyone wanting to come back...Shame on you Cabana.... We checked out a couple of Hotels in the centre on Tonsia and were greated with smiles and please look through. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Rooms in the centre of Tonsai cheaper and better location. Watch out for the misleading photos.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank longshaft

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed at the Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel in April 2012 with my wife and two teenage daughters. The island itself is sensational, as is the hotel. This was our last stop on our trip to Thailand. We had done Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket and were ready for some relaxation. Phi Phi was exactly what we were looking for. This resort is located in the township on Phi Phi Don. The township is basically a few hotels of various quality, restaurants, bars, clothing outlets, massage parlours and not much else. As opposed to some other resorts located at the top end of Phi Phi, this is all just an easy stroll from the Phi Phi Cabana. If you stay at the other resorts, you have to take a long boat to the township if you want to go there. The resort takes up the full width of the narrow stretch of land between Ton Sai Bay and the other bay (not sure the name). We splurged and booked the Andaman Suite which is a two bedroom apartment overlooking the 'other' bay. Absolutely magnificent view! The rooms were very spacious and clean. The staff here were excellent - very helpful and friendly. We ate dinner each night at the resort's Maya Restaurant, even though there were so many other choices. This was because of both the range on the menu and the value for money. The pool was beautiful and perched just off the sand on the 'other' bay.
The proximity to the speed boats and long boats available for hire to do some tours around Phi Phi Don and the other nearby islands is excellent.
We were fortunate enough to be here during the Songkran festival (Thai New Year), which is basically a massive water fight all day. We all got involved and had a brilliant day, one of our most memorable.
I have only two criticisms. First; no complimentary wifi. As this was the most expensive resort we stayed at during our trip and each of the others did offer this service, this was disappointing. You could purchase wifi access but this was done in blocks of time that expired each 24 hours. Second criticism; at the northern end of the beach along the 'other' bay there was some kind of party resort or just a free party on the beach. We stayed for three nights, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. At first this was impressive as the light and fire show on the beach was easily visible from our room, however this party went until the early hours on each of these nights with the bass from the music carrying perfectly across the water and to our room. This made getting a good night's sleep difficult. I never asked the staff about this so don't know if this occurs every single night, or if it maybe had something to do with Songkran, but it was definately on each night of our stay. I looked at the setup on this beach during the day in our travels and it did not look like a temporary setup, so I think Songkran is not the reason.
I can definately recommend this resort, however be warned about the potential for the music late into the night.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DBSTEHR
Crowthorn
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We only stayed one night as we travelled through Phi Phi Island. The hotel is well placed for the port (we arrived by boat) and they send someone with a cart for your luggage. It's just a few minutes walk. This area of Phi Phi is really full on. Very busy with bars, restaurants, shops and people. It is very commercialised. The hotel was fine although the swimming pool was hot so not too refreshing. Breakfast was good and the pool bar staff were really lovely. Generally a good hotel with pleasant staff and most of the facilities you would need. Nothing to complain about here.

Room Tip: Can't help here as I suspect they are all similar but you might like to ask for the 'quiet s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This place is awful- run down, dirty, damp and aircon doesn't work well at all so hardly slept. Given we were paying 4/5 star prices(for Asia), I would expect at least a clean and non damp-smelling room. Power cut out for about ten mins in the evening which didn't really bother me but it did worry me that the aircon was possibly going to cut out altogether. I've stayed in much nicer backpackers for a fraction of the price. Would not recommend this place at all. Location is probably the only good thing going for it - very close to where the boats arrive.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AnneliseScott

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This place was so disgusting that I could only stay two nights out of the four that I'd paid for. In the process of trying to get a refund which looks unlikely now...

1. The hotel safe could be removed completely from the cupboard which defeats the purpose of putting valuables in the safe.
2. The towels had large holes in them.
3. There was a hole in our ceiling only 2cm in diameter but none the less not well maintained. And the housing around the lights did not fit the hole created in the ceiling for them therefore resulting in a 1.5cm gap between light housing and ceiling.
4. Air conditioning was unsatisfactory and did not cool the small room (approximately 30 square metres) sufficiently. Perhaps requires re-gas.
5. Upon arrival into the room there was a man standing on an opposite balcony completely nude, which is not appropriate as we have a 7 year old child with us.
6. Cooling tower / water treatment facilities was opposite the entrance of our room and there was a constant foul smell.
7. Door did not lock properly each time.
8. The drainage was poor. The shower almost over flowed even though we waited 15 mins between each shower. Shower fixtures rusted and paint flaking on shower screen frames. Shower screen did not close easily and made a loud noise when you pulled it across.
9. In general all facilities were not maintained. Ie. fountain in pool had all broken lights. Showers by the pool with rusted and blocked with calcium carbonate so the water did not come out properly.
10. Our room did not look like the room shown in pictures for the deluxe triple room.
11. Both nights, we heard the people slamming their door shut at 3am next door after coming home from partying and would wake us.
12. Rooms were not sound proof as the night club music from the beach could be heard from our room each night.
13. Bugs and cochroaches on pillows and in the room.
14. Pool temperature was hot. It was cooler to be out of the pool.

DO NOT book here as it should be rated one star and charged at around the AU$30 a night mark.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Family_of_thre3
Reviewed 7 April 2012

What a disappointment! My friend and I were so excited to stay on Phi Phi Island and in the cabana hotel which was supposed to be our splurge for our trip. Poor front desk service, paired with less than par rooms and equally under par food=disappointment. Would not recommend.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Msadrbl
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I think location is the one of the two selling points of this hotel. Another one would be the fantastic pool view and sea view from the balcony. When we first arrived Phi Phi and found it was only two minutes' walk to the hotel, we were so happy. The check in staff was friendly and we were lead by the bell boy to our room located on 3rd floor. Please note that there is no elevator in this hotel. It might be a problem for people who have problem with walking and steps . The minute we entered our room, we were so happy to see the view out of the balcony - swimming pool and the ocean view ! You can even walk to the beach from the back of the hotel ! The first thing we noticed about the room was the air condition. It was not cooling enough, it was like you just turned on a fan. At the temperature of 32C outside, we really needed the air condition! Some of the light switch on the night stand was broken. Room was clean and big although is aged, in fact the entire hotel is aged. I think some people may find the king -size bed very hard though. The bathroom was clean with enough amenities however the shower was too small. I could see a bigger size people would have a problem to fit in the shower. The water from the shower were salty! At first I though it was from my face because of the sea water but when I brushed my teeth in the sink, I could taste the water, it was salty like they just pump it from the sea! By the way, there is not hot water from the dink. Charlie had to shave in the shower in order to get the hot water. Although the bottle water was given to us complementary but the water tasted funny too! There was a coffee and tea making facility in the room but we did not use it. Luckily the old- fashion TV still work fine. The buffet breakfast was good but coffee were not not so as the juices - sugar water. We could see this hotel use to have their glorious days but seems like they don't have enough fund to keep it well running. The swimming was big but it grossed me out when I saw algae inside the pool. Some of the beach/ pool chairs were broken too. There is a small fitness center by the pool that looks good though. One more thing, there is a wifi service in the hotel for THB120 for an hour. You can get cheaper Internet when you go outside ( few minutes' walk) by using the Internet cafe or some of the coffee shop provide free wifi. We may not go back to this hotel unless they refurbished the entire property.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple