“Don't book bungalows- Villa's are your best bet!”

Phi Phi Villa Resort
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed at this place in 2010, in the deluxe villa, I found it was basic (especially the bathroom- concrete style and open air shower) but we enjoyed our time there, it was a big spacious villa- which stood alone with a little balcony.

However, in April 2012, I planned to book this place again online and I tried to book the same room, but unfortunately did not realize that the " Deluxe Bungalow" was not the stand alone buildings but a horrible looking row of a-joining rooms. When we got there it was so rushed and the staff were quite abrupt and rude at the check in desk. Thank god we asked to see the room before confirming our week stay here... the bungalows were right at the back of all the villas- for a very similar price, but absolutely awful- the bathrooms were in very bad condition and everything was very basic and not deluxe at all really. I have stayed on Phi Phi island before and I know that most of the accommodation is overpriced (compared to other Thailand accommodation prices) for what its worth, you pay for the beautiful views, but we just couldn't stay there for more than one night... They were understanding of what we said about the rooms and allowed us to only stay the one night deposit we paid and then we moved the next morning to Phi Phi Andaman Legacy, just along the path, it doesn't have the views of the beach from the pool, but the rooms were a lot nicer and it still had a good pool.
In Phi Phi we spent most of our days on snorkeling trips seeing the the spectacular islands and also diving so the accommodation is that much of a big deal, but I would recommend Phi Phi Andaman Legacy because the staff are friendlier, more helpful and the rooms are more comfortable!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SusyUK

Reviewed 1 May 2012

The first night there was a nightmare….I was expecting vires of the ocean, instead all I had was views of other bungalows. The room was standard, as you would expect for a 3 star, however the air con was on its last legs, wheezing throughout the night until it finally starting spitting ice at us…so we asked to be moved. Management really need retraining…we were given a room, beach front, and were told the upgrade would be 400 baht…then they changed that to 900 baht, then they finally said, 2,000 baht. Of course, we asked to be moved again, to another bungalow, still with a sea view and only 400 baht upgrade per night….ok, so we are now settled in after 24 hours…..pool is lovely, on main thoroughfare so everyone can see you when walking past…beach is lovely, but loads of boats in the water and on the shore…everything is lovely, until the night manager rang us and demanded that we pay the upgrade there and then…..well, we had to pay 1,000 baht deposit for the key, the upgrade was only 800 baht, you do the maths…again, a lesson to be learnt here…..so, quiet resort, no bar, Carpe Diem, the bar across from the resort does not charge back to the room, breakfast is very plain…it’s about a 10 minute walk to the hub of the island…….if you’re thinking of walking to Long Island, it’s tricky and take insect repellant. Overall, once we were moved to our 3rd bungalow, it was great…..ferry tickets back are 250 baht and on board, you can get a ride in a shuttle to the airport for 150 baht.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 104, 105, 103, 102...they are beach front or with beach view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cathie13
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The porter who pick us up from the pier was very friendly poor man got to carry all our big bags. The check in go very easy and fast even we were early but our room was ready. We tried to change our parent room as we dont like open air bathroom from standard bungalow to room in building then we found that water everywhere on the stair in buildind as it just rain so we want to change back to bungalow, the staffs are so nice considering how fuzzy we were atlast we got our room back. We got lux delux which was very very nice big bed and just 5 metre to swimingpool
bathroom not as nice as it should be but we didt expect as we understand its the island hotel and we'd been to many island in thailand but we can live with it. Breakfast is very nice got all sald fresh fruits egg etc our daughter love swimingpool we also swap play in sea water as in the late morning the tired is in , beach is small but nice clean water as its far away from pier. We walk to eat in the market everyday 1o min also good exercise and they have shops all the way nice walk
The card diem Bar is the hotels bar is brilliant we love it there its only one complain is when they have a tour from phuket the restrerant always fully booked for lunch but we can walk to eat in the market the bar has a loud music on til aound 11 pm or mid night max very loud but my daughter and me sleep fine just leave the tv on this side on the island is alot better than the loh da lum for the family and someone who need more chill and if you like quiet and dont mind about they dont sell alcohol you can try look at Phi Phi Andaman Resort next door they got nice swiming pool and quiet at night

Room Tip: lux delux nice with pool view / delux villa fine room with part sea view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights deluxe villa. Positives; friendly porter to carry your luggage to and from pier. Big pool and nice sunbeds. Quiet part of island so relaxing. Breakfast ok.
However I had a very negative experience at check in, the happy holiday mood which had grown as I walked from the pier to the hotel quickly vanished when on arrival to the reception desk I was met with a sullen faced young boy who didnt smile or say hello, simply barked "you have reservation?"when I said yes and gave my name (I was still smiling at this stage in my happy holiday vibe) he then again barked at me "show me reservation" At this stage holiday mood quickly sank, I gave him my reservation confirmation and placed our two passports on the desk. He looked at reservation and said "passport" At this stage as I genuinely was almost mute from shock at being shouted at for no reason I pointed to the two passports where he then barked back "only need one" looking at me as if I was the stupidist creature he'd ever seen and waiting for me to hand him the passport even though it was literally at his fingertips. This experience really clouded my stay at the resort. The next day I asked to speak to a manager but was fobbed off and I have in the meantime e-mailed my complaint to the hotel. The other reception staff I found to be ok but this boy seriously needs to go back to training school to learn how to greet guests on arrival to his resort. Also for the money I dont think the deluxe villas are worth it, stay at the cheaper villas. Another negative is the crap air conditioning in our room, even though someone allegedly came to fix it, it didnt improve, nights were unbearably hot

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for deluxe villa also no true sea views so dont pay extra for those either.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buffy01
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I am not sure why some people think this hotel is paradise. The island location surely is, but not the hotel. We stayed here 5 nights, at about USD 100 per night. I tried to extend checkout by a few hours and was told that to do so I would be charged 500 baht per hour! The staff even tried to stiff me on a so-called missing glass from the room when I was collecting my 1,000 baht key deposit. It is not advertised but the shower and sink water is brackish. Some may not appreciate this inconvenience.

I had to keep ‘fixing’ the door handle to our ‘villa’ as it kept getting loose. Without these adjustments it would have fallen off. The toilet seat was broken. The shower backed up each time we used it. Clean towels were available after 6:00 PM - usually. There was one pump bottle of thin liquid soap that was to be used as a face soap, shower soap and shampoo. I had to buy a spray to kill the mosquitoes in the room each evening. The staff were generally unfriendly and unsympathetic to the lack of towels etc etc. Most of them should not be in the service industry. The pool was nice until you looked closely. A number of ceramic tiles have separated from the base of the pool and the grout on the side walls has black algae.

Now, on a more positive note. We were met at the ferry and shown to the hotel – a nice gesture. The breakfast was pleasant and varied. The sheets on the bed were clean. Wireless worked in the computer room, the breakfast area and by the pool.

Room Tip: get a quieter villa in the back
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DennisUSA
Reviewed 20 February 2012

+: next to the beach, booking office at the reception, private villa/room,
-: far from main street of PhiPhi (restaurants, shopping, diving center) and far from harbor. Many TV channels but bad reception, old style and overvalued price!
=: even it was not a bad experience, I would go and try another hotel next time (look at my other review)

The hotel is good but I think it is too expensive compared to what you get. I tried another hotel after staying 2 nights, and this second hotel was much better even a bit more expensive.

What I liked at this hotel is that it is next to the beach and is in a quiet place of PhiPhi => I would really recommend this hotel for families or couple looking for quiet place (kind of private as it is in a "corner" of PhiPhi).

But you have to think to walk 15-20 minutes from the harbor where you land from the ships (from/to phuket or Krabi).
Therefore, I would not recommend this hotel for people looking for shopping or places to have fun as around the hotel there are only few attractions which close early in the evening.

=> Location is good and bad, depending what you are looking for!!!!!

Swimming pool is nice, but not really for swimming. It is more a place where you can relax and meet the monkeys looking for some food!

Finally, rooms are clean and good as it is a kind of Villa/bungalow as you would imagine due to the name of the hotel. I really liked this style and really felt on holiday which was fantastic. Unfortunately, I did not really like the bathroom which is really old style and not modern at all.

In conclusion, I think this hotel a bit overprice and I would suggest you pay less if you go there or try my 2nd hotel review on PhiPhi which was much better (location, room, swimming pool, breakfast), but of course a bit more expensive... (but worth to spend the extra money)

Room Tip: take a taxi boat to go around PhiPhi (max 1200 baht 3.5 hours)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ehlstudent
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Despite a good location and facilities, this was the worst run hotel we have stayed at for a long time. The (Luxury) room was spacious but the bathroom filthy; despite asking management to clean it and provide a basin plug, nothing was done. The first morning there was no water at all. The breakfast was terrible; we dont expect too much in Thailand but this was the worst ever. Anything we brought to their attention was just greeted with "Don't worry Papa"!
We had the impression that Koh Phi Phi is so popular and generally frequented by low end (indescriminate) young people that the resorts and resturants don't have to bother to give good service.

Room Tip: Luxury rooms well worth the extra
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple