“Unbeatable views, secluded location on Koh Tao.”
Review of View Point Resort

View Point Resort
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed for the second time we have stayed at View Point Resort, both times in a V hut. Since last time in 2010, they have added a new reception (much nicer than the 'lobby area at the restaurant) and a new deck by the restaurant, and there seems to be many new buildings popping up at this hotel, so it looks a bit like a building site in some areas at the moment but it didn't disturb us really.

We have only had breakfast at the hotel. The verdict being: Western food here is not great, stay way clear of the eggs benny and opt for fruit shakes, fruit salad, fried rice with crab for breakfast (you get used to the idea of FR for breakfast after awhile, and it is luckily really good here).

The rooms are fairly basic, but great value for money and strikingly beautiful views that can be enjoyed from both the bed and the balcony. The rooms are clean, and almost insect free, apart from some ants or termites that are feasting on the door post and skirting board.
We bought a mosquito wall plug in, so our room was completely mosquito-free and we never used the provided mosquito net.

The lighting of the walk way and stairs leading up the the villas is really poor. Half the time you have no idea where you are putting your next step, and there are frogs and crabs running around.

Only thing that annoyed me was that they pretty bad at picking up any rubbish left outside the room.

Despite rubbish on the doorstep, so far, this is our favourite place in Thailand.

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed here for two nights in a pool villa (Number 5). We read on the website that it was close to nature, but we did not expect to pay this much for the feeling of being on a luxury camping trip.

Sitting in the living room and watching a movie one night and ants where crawling all over my beer as i left it on the table.

Lots of toads, crabs and spiders in the bathroom. As one would expect since its outdoors, its just good to be aware of it.

If you leave the fruit basket out over night, you might get a visit form the local wildlife :-)

The restaurant is very scenic, but the food is not up to the standard that you would expect at a luxury resort.

The staff is kind and help full.

1  Thank dpgetz
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed here on my honeymoon and had the most wonderful time. In fact, I found it difficult to leave the stunning pool villa room.
This is a true unique experience. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous and every tiny detail of decor is more amazing than the next. It is a perfect balance between luxury and eco-chic.
The open air bathroom with rainforest shower was an absolute delight.
Having our own private infinity pool to swim in while looking out at the amazing sunsets was priceless.
The service here is not typical as they do not have a concierge etc. but they will serve all your meals in your beautiful villa and even arranged for us to have sunset private massages in our room.
The food was great and, the few times we did venture out of the resort, we went to this amazing little restaurant down the boardwalk that had the best calamari I have ever had.

Room Tip: We stayed in Pool Villa 2
Reviewed 13 January 2012

we stayed 3 days in villa 4 with my wife.
it was a very unique experience with the feeling to be "poshly adventurous"

The villa is incredible, amazing view totaly secluded, full privacy and in harmony with the nature.
they picked us up from the pier and the transfer via a very bumpy road took about 25 minutes.

It is important to note the resort is not a 5 star, you must be going there to be in amazing pool villa period, no particular service beside a good in room breakfast and a summary room service and very good housekeeping. beside that nothing like a concierge or other amenities.
Reception even close at 10pm

not advised to young child and elderly. the villa can be dangerous for child not under close supervision and moving away from the room to access beach or village requires to go through a quite rough pathway with 60+ steps in the dark.

the restaurant isn't great although good and cheap.

a 10 min walk will get you to the village where you can get a taxi to explore more the island
I highly recommend Darawan restaurant and very very highly recommend the restaurant of the Jamahkiri (i ll probably write a review on that)

I recommend hiring a long boat to explore the east coast beaches which are to die for, white sand and crystal water.

Be aware you ll meet some friends at your villas: crabs, cats, spiders...but all harmless and that s part of the experience

Again the villas are absolutely amazing nothing you ll see anywhere else with one of the best view on earth, and therefore worth every penny.

Room Tip: villa 4 for privacy , villa 6 for best pool
3  Thank Jeffoun
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I stayed here with my ex on last March. It was the last hotel we looked after walking around the island, and i was happy with this resort. We got uphill bungalow, so needed a wee effort to get there, room was spacious, with free big bottles of mineral water changed everyday, but i'd say it was quite expensive compared to other places, but it was worthy with the scenery we got, clean big bed, clean bathroom, tv cable, small fridge, private pool, and breakfast and of course it was near to my dive shop BVD. The only thing i could complain about was the sound of party down at the beach that made me got bad sleep, kept waking me up. My advise would be, bring earplugs, it will help you alot.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend in October. We had booked a room with a sea view which we were told was confirmed when we called, but on arrival we were told that this room was not available but would be the following day, as the person in that room was sick,so we were moved to the bungalo for the 'jungle lover'. It was a beautiful, but there is no view at all as it surrounded by dense plants, so it is very dark. The next day we were moved to a bungalo with a sea view, which really did have a stunning view over the bay. We stayed for 5 nights in the resort. The rooms are very original, with beautiful architecture. My only fault of the resort was its service, there are dozens of staff, but nothing seemed to be well communicated. For example, we were not told that we could have had our room cleaned, you are apparantly supposed to hand in your room key if you want this to happen. I also did miss having a hot shower.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loquat522
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My husband loves to dive so Koh Tao was the place he wanted to be. I selected View Point Resort and I could not have been happier. The villa was superb with views to die for, aptly named resort. The service we could not fault and the food cheap but good. We stayed only 3 nights but wished we had stayed more. The only downside, if you are looking for action was location - away from hustle and bustle. This did not deter me as I found the Villa a sanctuary for a well deserved rest. The management were more than helpful even organising an in room or should I say by the pool massage. My husband even though the price for him was more than anywhere else on the island absolutely loved it too and could comprehend the value. At night we slept with the doors to the villa bedroom open with no need for airconditioning a pleasant change from most of Thailand. The ensuite bathroom was also magnificent but if you don't like the frogs or gekos beware but remember this is their habitat and they are harmless. We plan to return next year and enjoy the splendor once more. Highly recommend this resort for those who want to get away and indulge in Paradise!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple