“My dream holiday”

Koh Tao Bamboo Huts
Ranked #37 of 147 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed at bamboo huts early February 2012. I saw it on the net while in koh samui. We went over and found it.
Awesome! Low key but fantastic position, views and very Thai. Our host Baas showed us all the rooms. We chose BB3 WOW! Private pool A/C and access to the most awesome underwater playground. Swim for miles.
The buffet breakfast was great and kept us going all day in a beautiful high over the water setting. Dinner was down on the water edge deck . We went every night (best place in town) views brilliant ( the sunsets), service impeccable and great food which was great value, especially when you consider where you are. no rip off here for water front dining. My thanks to Torn for his wonderful and courteous service every day.
The beach was like a movie set but actually real. Big rocks, nice sand, bamboo rafts just off the beach for lazing on. Great massage. WHY AM I TELLING YOU ALL THIS?
Possibly one of the best weeks I've ever spent on holidays. Thanks everyone
Special thanks to Baas, Prang Ma and Torn. See you next year THANK YOU! And to our 4wd driver .
Great week.
Don't forget to go to banana rock cafe, 15 minutes work up the track. A tree house cafe and all the railings are driftwood intertwined. Very laid back
This an unsolicitored review , just a very happy holiday maker who got lucky

Room Tip: BB3 for your own private pool and awesome views and direct acces to the water. Be careful the steps...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Benooch

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Yes, the huts are a bit of a walk from basically everything, including breakfast and reception and yes, they are really a part of nature so if you are a nature lover and don't mind exercise - this is the place for you!

I stayed with a friend, probably the only non-couple in the huts but we had an amazing time! The hut itself was wonderful, great location and the best views ever with a nice terrass where you can sit/lie and enjoy. We also loved the funky bathroom and the wonderful outside shower. It really felt like we were almost alone there which was great. We stayed in BB5 which had its own 'rock' with sunbeds, so wonderful and I think the best of all the huts from what we could see.

The breakfast was nice with a wonderful view. The beach of the resort (Charm Churee Villa) was OK, but we preferred swimming in front of the hut which is totally possible if you are a fit person. There was also amazing snorkelling there. We also liked that you could walk to Mae Haad (like 20 min). Staff was great, friendly and helpful, they organized taxi, boat tickets for us and also the room service was fast and good.

The internet didn't work for a couple of days but we didn't mind - it was too wonderful to spend time on the computer!

Room Tip: Recommending BB5 as it had its own 'rock' with sunbeds, the others just had them on a concre...
Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Elina S
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at Koh Tao Bamboo Huts for 3 nights on the first week of April and surprised I didn't have to leave the resort at all. The huts sit on boulders by the sea, so I had stunning panoramic sea view as wished. KTBH is a new sister resort of the bigger Charm Churee Villa in the same property, so business took place here at the reception also with wonderful sea view. The ride to the hut via their back road can be a thrill ‘cause some section is very steep, however I found (from couple rides) the driver was very careful operating the four-wheel drive car. Most of the time I hiked along the trails (well-paved), which connect the compound.
My hut is big for my standard. It’s a studio filled with a big double bed, closet (safety box inside and hangers, bathrobes, flip-flops, umbrella, etc.), desk, couch, a long bar with drinks and snacks including kettle and plates on one side and a big widescreen tv on the other side—amenity comfort you can find in high standard city hotel (too pampered :]). It has large balcony and another sun-deck below. The bathroom and toilet are outside and shaped after the boulders making it amply and natural luxurious feel to me. I’m a city girl and would not welcome strange creepers plus I’m prone to mosquitos. Luckily I didn’t run into any except some geckos (big and small). I also used the electric fan to ward off mosquitos during my good time lounging on the balcony esp. sunset time.
The whole area is basically a jungle with a long shoreline. I like that I can hike to different activities and stay safe in the compound. There are so many choices of water to jump into, and believe me, just knee-high level you already see lots of colorful fish (you can borrow snorkel gears for free). The sea in front my hut has no beach 'cause it's lined with boulders but fantastic creature underneath. At one time I encountered a long wall of yellow-striped fish--so many that I felt intimidated. The exclusive Jansom Bay beach is small but cozy and lively. Everyone seems to hang out there plus it's where the lunch bar is. The Sai Thong beach, a 15-min hike on a paved trail (Jax Trek), is wonderful for sun-bathing.
Foods always come with sea view. Breakfast is generous and fresh (considered everything has to be imported from mainland) and staffs are attentive and smiling. Dinner deck is set with floor-seating makes it quite relaxing and romantic to gaze at the stars and fishing boats faraway. I like seared tuna and made it my choice for dinner but was disappointed. Another night though a waiter recommended baked king mackerel and wow, it's perfectly done! On my way out I was worried about the boat ride as it was windy that morning. I asked advice from the office staff who gave me some sea-sick pills including bandages for my minor cuts from climbing the boulders. Thank you very much.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LSolo
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The location of the Bamboo Huts is fantastic, although getting to and from the huts themselves involves climbing up and down a lot of steps - which in the heat is pretty draining, but the views from the Huts are fantastic, and we very much enjoyed having direct access to the sea, with absolutely amazing snorkelling. This was the real high, and primarily our reason for choosing to stay on this island. We're avid snorkellers, and the snorkelling is the best we have experienced straight from the beach (and indeed beats many excursions we have been on), so during the day we had a great time enjoying the waters.
Nightime was the low - I'm amazed no one has commented on the fact that the bathrooms are outdoors, which meant having to leave the beach early to ensure you could shower without being attacked by mosiquitos! (on one occassion my watch had stopped so we hit the shower later than we'd intended - my husband killed 6 mosquitos while showering!). Also enjoying the outdoor bathroom was an (enormous!) jumping spider, and I did have the pleasure (or rather, I should say, my husband, as I left this one for him to deal with!) of a cockroach on my toothbrush. Of course, this is a tropical environment, so this is not a reflection of the cleanliness of the place (it was well maintained), but as the bathroom was open to the elements, the bugs also had their fun. In the hut itself (we were in BB2) there was nowhere to put your suitcase, or unpack your clothes (no drawers, and just one shelf so high I had to stand on tip toes to place anything on it), so the suitcases had to sit on the floor - which left me very nervous, as given the way the huts are built means it is not a well sealed environment, so there are plenty of places for bugs to crawl in. Therefore the idea of having the suitcase sat on the floor didn't seem a great one. Even some form of foldable luggage rack would have made a difference.
The staff were fab - incredibly helpful and friendly, and as I say, during the day we had a ball.
I do feel let down though that there is no mention of the outdoor bathrooms on any of the hotel descriptions - if I had known this, I would not have booked this hotel. If roaches/spiders don't phase you, then I would recommend this place - but probably best to go for a 1 or 2 bed hut, where presumably you would actually have somewhere to put your things. If like me, you are not a fan of creepy crawlies (and yes, I know it's the tropics, but even so...!) then I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrASB
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Me and My Partner had the most amazing time while staying at the Koh Tao Bamboo Huts in BB7. All the staff at this resort really do make it they are so polite and would go out of there way to do anything you ask of them. Our hut was so lovely and clean it was truely a dream to stay there and we will for sure be back very soon I hope!!!

We loved it and would say to anyone thinking of booking do!!! :o)

Room Tip: BB7 had excellent views.....
3  Thank t13chy
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We just arrived home after a 3 night stay at the Bamboo Huts in Koh Tao. Our stay there was nothing but amazing, the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and always went out of their way to help (down to dealing with my travel agent who had made a travel mistake and booking a local private boat to ensure we made our flight)
The hut itself sat right on the edge of the water and offered 2 private viewing and relaxing areas, it was an absolutely incredible view!

On our last night we ate at the restaurant, and i would have to say it was one of the best meals i have had, hats off to the new Italian chef, and the staff who went out of their way to get me a banana pancake for dessert which was not on the menu!

If you want a secluded getaway, with staff who are willing to bend over backward for you, this is the place to be!!

2  Thank Claire_Nath
Reviewed 8 January 2012

What a disappointment! We booked at the Bamboo Huts after reading the lovely comments on trip advisor, and honestly this place was such a dampener to our wonderful trip in Thailand – possibly to the extent of ruining our holiday – yes we were that excited to go stay!

We arrived after a very bumpy ferry journey, but were met on the pier by the staff which was great! After driving up the hill we were dropped outside the Charm Churee Village Reception, and told to wait 5 minutes… Nothing more or nothing less… just wait! This was the beginning of a terrible stay. We fumbled through broken English and thai and found out the Bamboo Huts and Charm Churee Village are one of the same resort. We were then invited into the Charm Churee Reception where I was given a piece of paper – which explained that part of the resort has burnt down, with an apology from the GM for construction works that were going to be undertaken during our stay. Being in the construction industry myself, this was an utter shock as I would be spending 3 days and having paid $1500 prior to arrival to listen to construction activities, sawing, hammering, angle grinding and the likes. Understandably I was very upset and I was promised that our accommodation would be away from these activities.

We had booked a bungalow with a private pool, which we were very disappointed with the quality and presentation of. After 4x4ing in a pick-up/ute through some very dangerous terrain (seriously!) past construction activities, mounds of rubbish burning on the side of the road, and very dirty areas this was our grand and disappointing welcome. The bungalow itself was falling to pieces in some areas and the bamboo was being held together with ply board in some places. Construction rubble is strewn everywhere and thrown into the ocean. Walking barefoot in the bungalow was a no-go due to the nails holding the bamboo together would poke painfully into your feet, and the room was so small, to fit a bed in it was impossible to walk around the bed to get to the bathroom without bumping and bruising yourselves. The curtain rail in the room was falling off the wall, and the curtains were not long enough for the windows… Certain windows and doors could not be opened, so if you wanted fresh air during the rain – this was a not possible.

Our private pool was absolutely filthy. We swam in it once and then saw the old skin and sun block build up around the edges so we refused to swim in it again for hygiene purposes. Cleaning of the pool and hut was below standard. Fullstop!

The bed was like sleeping on a wooden floor and we had to ask if they could put extra duvets under the sheet so we could at least try to sleep. Its fine explaining to us this is the ‘thai style’ bed, but we have never in our travels experienced such a bed, where we had to place the sun lounger mattresses on the bed to get a little comfort. The mosquito nets were very dirty and torn, so we tied them up so they were out of the way.

Please note that these ’huts’/shacks are situated on a very steep incline with very steep concrete stairs. If you are unfit or struggle with exercise I would recommend you do not stay here. We are a reasonably fit couple (cycle to work and run), but were not happy tackling these steps in the dark and after the rain due to their incline and safety.

Please note that the ‘elvis’ bar does not open at all, hence if you want food it is a long walk to the reception at Charm Churee Village to eat, up and down the steep terrain (15mins of rather strenuous exercise). Food is terrible, to the point of us skipping breakfast twice. There are not enough tables to seat you so you stand and eat your breakfast and the quality of food is poor sans the omelette which was good.

We decided to eat at the restaurant one night where we ordered off the Seafood BBQ Menu. I ordered the King Mackeral and received what seemed to be a very old freezer burned piece of deep fried (not BBQ’ed) fish which I could not eat. My partners tuna was so undercooked it was sushi like and still frozen in the centre. For the cost of 1600B for dinner I really did enjoy the fries, and when I complained about my food I was laughed at and the food left on the plate on the table. Nothing was done to rectify this.

We also attended the New Years Eve function that they had arranged. Note I had paid for this in the original booking, then received an email saying that it was cancelled, then told again at arrival it was compulsory and we had to pay again (although I never received the original refund, hence I was charged twice). This was very disappointing, especially when a staff members child caught on fire and had to run into the ocean when he was forced to fire dance to an astonished audience. At this point we left and again went home hungry as we refused to watch what was happening in front of us.

There was also a trance party that was held for 3 days – NON STOP 24/7 music during our stay. I am not sure how close to the resort it was but the constant doff doff music & screams combined with construction activities, and the dive boats/long boats that set anchor right in front of the bungalows, don’t do much for relaxation.

Room Service was no exception in quality, we were told if we wanted it we had to walk the 15 mins and go pick it up ourselves – slightly defeating the objective of room service. I must admit – the curries we finally had delivered to our room were very tasty – might have been the starvation kicking in where anything would have tasted good.

Check out was the final straw for us, where we were told that we had not made a payment and we owed them the full amount again, plus diving charges (we never dived at the island!). After checking with Amex they did confirm the payment had gone through on the original booking however the resort denied they had received this and physically drove us to a bank to pay – therefore costing us an average of $1000 (excl food) a day…. All this through very broken English as the front of house staff could not understand English. To add insult to injury the Business Manager (who is fluent in English) was sitting in his glass office watching us for 1.5 hours trying to sort this mess out then walks up to my partner and hands him his business card and saying if there any issues to contact him. Utterly disgraceful. All that I could say at the end, in absolute tears was to please get me away from this horrid place.

So from beginning to end a terribly expensive stay at a resort that is not an eco resort by any way, shape or means. I have stayed in many eco resorts – and love them for the very reason that they simple and eco-friendly, and usually with a quirky side to things (such as here http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255089-d258034-Reviews-Paradise_Bay_Eco_Escape-Long_Island_Whitsunday_Islands_Great_Barrier_Reef_Queensland.html).

We were very disappointed in Bamboo huts and will not recommend to anyone for the service, the accommodation or value for money. We feel really cheated, not only financially but also that as a couple we only spend a few weeks of a year together due to conflicting work commitments, and you made the last 4 days of our lovely holiday pretty terrible. Thanks!

14  Thank joanimal