All reviews starlight restaurant jansom bay charm churee private beach sai nuan beach star resort our honeymoon amazing views sunset chaba bb6 island varnish privacy snorkel
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Once you're entering to amazing Koh Tao island, you're on a pier and thinking where you gonna stay. Just head to the rightside and approx 1-2 kilometers you find this beautiful resort. The hotel desk is located near mainroad, but actual huts are located down to the hill distance is approx 400meters or so. Once you need to move around hotel placies, no worries have own 4wd car with a driver, so even the big hills goes easily. Near the huts views are just amazing, rock cliffs and quiet own beach. Near the nature, might have geckos, lizards or something but nothing scary or dangerous.

Rooms are super nice too and have everything what is needed, front of the room have own jacuzzi and amazing panorama seaviews straight to the ocean. Good warm shower and A/C, plus fridge full of goodies. Closest neughbours arent near, so can be totally alone if needed. Staff is helpful and nice, they help on everything if needed and the feeling while staying on hotel is really good.

This place makes staying on Koh Tao more memorable and amazing. If wanted to no need to go away from hotel, they have a nice restaurant and other services in hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harri K
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed at bamboo huts early February 2012. I saw it on the net while in koh samui. We went over and found it.
Awesome! Low key but fantastic position, views and very Thai. Our host Baas showed us all the rooms. We chose BB3 WOW! Private pool A/C and access to the most awesome underwater playground. Swim for miles.
The buffet breakfast was great and kept us going all day in a beautiful high over the water setting. Dinner was down on the water edge deck . We went every night (best place in town) views brilliant ( the sunsets), service impeccable and great food which was great value, especially when you consider where you are. no rip off here for water front dining. My thanks to Torn for his wonderful and courteous service every day.
The beach was like a movie set but actually real. Big rocks, nice sand, bamboo rafts just off the beach for lazing on. Great massage. WHY AM I TELLING YOU ALL THIS?
Possibly one of the best weeks I've ever spent on holidays. Thanks everyone
Special thanks to Baas, Prang Ma and Torn. See you next year THANK YOU! And to our 4wd driver .
Great week.
Don't forget to go to banana rock cafe, 15 minutes work up the track. A tree house cafe and all the railings are driftwood intertwined. Very laid back
This an unsolicitored review , just a very happy holiday maker who got lucky

Room Tip: BB3 for your own private pool and awesome views and direct acces to the water. Be careful the steps are slippery
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Benooch
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Yes, the huts are a bit of a walk from basically everything, including breakfast and reception and yes, they are really a part of nature so if you are a nature lover and don't mind exercise - this is the place for you!

I stayed with a friend, probably the only non-couple in the huts but we had an amazing time! The hut itself was wonderful, great location and the best views ever with a nice terrass where you can sit/lie and enjoy. We also loved the funky bathroom and the wonderful outside shower. It really felt like we were almost alone there which was great. We stayed in BB5 which had its own 'rock' with sunbeds, so wonderful and I think the best of all the huts from what we could see.

The breakfast was nice with a wonderful view. The beach of the resort (Charm Churee Villa) was OK, but we preferred swimming in front of the hut which is totally possible if you are a fit person. There was also amazing snorkelling there. We also liked that you could walk to Mae Haad (like 20 min). Staff was great, friendly and helpful, they organized taxi, boat tickets for us and also the room service was fast and good.

The internet didn't work for a couple of days but we didn't mind - it was too wonderful to spend time on the computer!

Room Tip: Recommending BB5 as it had its own 'rock' with sunbeds, the others just had them on a concrete terrasse.
Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Elina S
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed at Koh Tao Bamboo Huts for 3 nights on the first week of April and surprised I didn't have to leave the resort at all. The huts sit on boulders by the sea, so I had stunning panoramic sea view as wished. KTBH is a new sister resort of the bigger Charm Churee Villa in the same property, so business took place here at the reception also with wonderful sea view. The ride to the hut via their back road can be a thrill ‘cause some section is very steep, however I found (from couple rides) the driver was very careful operating the four-wheel drive car. Most of the time I hiked along the trails (well-paved), which connect the compound.
My hut is big for my standard. It’s a studio filled with a big double bed, closet (safety box inside and hangers, bathrobes, flip-flops, umbrella, etc.), desk, couch, a long bar with drinks and snacks including kettle and plates on one side and a big widescreen tv on the other side—amenity comfort you can find in high standard city hotel (too pampered :]). It has large balcony and another sun-deck below. The bathroom and toilet are outside and shaped after the boulders making it amply and natural luxurious feel to me. I’m a city girl and would not welcome strange creepers plus I’m prone to mosquitos. Luckily I didn’t run into any except some geckos (big and small). I also used the electric fan to ward off mosquitos during my good time lounging on the balcony esp. sunset time.
The whole area is basically a jungle with a long shoreline. I like that I can hike to different activities and stay safe in the compound. There are so many choices of water to jump into, and believe me, just knee-high level you already see lots of colorful fish (you can borrow snorkel gears for free). The sea in front my hut has no beach 'cause it's lined with boulders but fantastic creature underneath. At one time I encountered a long wall of yellow-striped fish--so many that I felt intimidated. The exclusive Jansom Bay beach is small but cozy and lively. Everyone seems to hang out there plus it's where the lunch bar is. The Sai Thong beach, a 15-min hike on a paved trail (Jax Trek), is wonderful for sun-bathing.
Foods always come with sea view. Breakfast is generous and fresh (considered everything has to be imported from mainland) and staffs are attentive and smiling. Dinner deck is set with floor-seating makes it quite relaxing and romantic to gaze at the stars and fishing boats faraway. I like seared tuna and made it my choice for dinner but was disappointed. Another night though a waiter recommended baked king mackerel and wow, it's perfectly done! On my way out I was worried about the boat ride as it was windy that morning. I asked advice from the office staff who gave me some sea-sick pills including bandages for my minor cuts from climbing the boulders. Thank you very much.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LSolo
Reviewed April 9, 2012

The location of the Bamboo Huts is fantastic, although getting to and from the huts themselves involves climbing up and down a lot of steps - which in the heat is pretty draining, but the views from the Huts are fantastic, and we very much enjoyed having direct access to the sea, with absolutely amazing snorkelling. This was the real high, and primarily our reason for choosing to stay on this island. We're avid snorkellers, and the snorkelling is the best we have experienced straight from the beach (and indeed beats many excursions we have been on), so during the day we had a great time enjoying the waters.
Nightime was the low - I'm amazed no one has commented on the fact that the bathrooms are outdoors, which meant having to leave the beach early to ensure you could shower without being attacked by mosiquitos! (on one occassion my watch had stopped so we hit the shower later than we'd intended - my husband killed 6 mosquitos while showering!). Also enjoying the outdoor bathroom was an (enormous!) jumping spider, and I did have the pleasure (or rather, I should say, my husband, as I left this one for him to deal with!) of a cockroach on my toothbrush. Of course, this is a tropical environment, so this is not a reflection of the cleanliness of the place (it was well maintained), but as the bathroom was open to the elements, the bugs also had their fun. In the hut itself (we were in BB2) there was nowhere to put your suitcase, or unpack your clothes (no drawers, and just one shelf so high I had to stand on tip toes to place anything on it), so the suitcases had to sit on the floor - which left me very nervous, as given the way the huts are built means it is not a well sealed environment, so there are plenty of places for bugs to crawl in. Therefore the idea of having the suitcase sat on the floor didn't seem a great one. Even some form of foldable luggage rack would have made a difference.
The staff were fab - incredibly helpful and friendly, and as I say, during the day we had a ball.
I do feel let down though that there is no mention of the outdoor bathrooms on any of the hotel descriptions - if I had known this, I would not have booked this hotel. If roaches/spiders don't phase you, then I would recommend this place - but probably best to go for a 1 or 2 bed hut, where presumably you would actually have somewhere to put your things. If like me, you are not a fan of creepy crawlies (and yes, I know it's the tropics, but even so...!) then I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple