“Best food I had on Koh Tao”

Shalimar Indian Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 243 Restaurants in Koh Tao
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2018

My boyfriend and I stopped by on a whim on one of our last nights in Koh Tao and it wound up being the best dining experience I had on the island. We were tired from diving, annoyed by the weather and disappointed in the other establishments we'd eaten at. We both love Indian food but we wouldn't call ourselves connoisseurs of it, this resulted in quite a bit of time deciding on what to order. Eventually we settled on rice, butter chicken, a cauliflower dish and a fish dish (sorry, I can't remember what these dishes were called exactly).

Our wait was about 40 minutes long, an eternity after a dive, but when it finally arrived we were overjoyed. All of the dishes were moist, tender and loaded with flavor — something I'd missed after being on Koh Tao for so long. We'd ordered quite a bit of food for two people but we found it so delicious that it wasn't a problem finishing it all. If we'd had the time we definitely would've stopped by again.

A tip: Don't show up expecting a quick bite to eat, the food takes an excruciatingly long time to arrive (I think it's worth it though!)

Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

Delicious food, but I have NEVER EVER had slower service in my entire life. We waited 15 minutes just to order, 40 minutes for our food, and then another 15-20 to pay. They really need to fix this, because it’s just simply unbearable. And it wasn’t even busy!!!

However - staff speaks English well, the food is absolutely delicious, and they have lots of vegetarian/vegan options. So that’s a big plus.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed December 28, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is on the main road of Sairee beach. Vegetarian choice for starters is good but not amazing as we only had a choice of around 3-4 dishes however there are plenty of options for the main courses. Naan bread is very good. Service is quick. Overall worth a visit if you feel like a curry.

Reviewed December 17, 2017 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend love indian food so we decided to give this place a try.

They give quite big portions which is good however the Indian food itself leaves alot to be desired.

Would not go back here and we left feeling disappointed.

1  Thank Katie D
Reviewed December 4, 2017 via mobile

Really happy with our overall experience here. Food was great and the lovely English waitress helped us decide between a few things we were pondering on which all turned out to be delish. They have different specials on every night too (e.g 20% off lamb dishes).
The staff is what made it even better though as they checked up on us to see if everything was good and if we were happy and also if the spices were right.
Would go again and definitely recommend :)