“Great food but staff and the restaurant it self could be improved! ”

Shalimar Indian Restaurant
Ranked #81 of 238 Restaurants in Koh Tao
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2018 via mobile

Cons:

Staff were friendly but a bit un professional, they literally sat on the table behind us playing around on their phones, it sounded like they were playing games or something.

Having visited Shalima back in 2015 I can tell you they have not spent any money on the restaurant it self. It’s looking very run down and old, toilets are vile and there was several dead cockroaches laying around the dining area.

I would visit again as the food is great but it did worry us as to what state the kitchen is in considering the cleanliness of the restaurant itself and bathrooms.

Pros:
Food was delicious and at a reasonable price especially the Chicken Tikka masala.

Service was quick and food didn’t take long but then we were the only people dining due to eating late.

We went on a Tuesday and they offer white or red wine for 80BHT that day although they did put it down at full price on the bill.. luckily we noticed and this was changed.

Reviewed January 4, 2018

My boyfriend and I stopped by on a whim on one of our last nights in Koh Tao and it wound up being the best dining experience I had on the island. We were tired from diving, annoyed by the weather and disappointed in the other establishments we'd eaten at. We both love Indian food but we wouldn't call ourselves connoisseurs of it, this resulted in quite a bit of time deciding on what to order. Eventually we settled on rice, butter chicken, a cauliflower dish and a fish dish (sorry, I can't remember what these dishes were called exactly).

Our wait was about 40 minutes long, an eternity after a dive, but when it finally arrived we were overjoyed. All of the dishes were moist, tender and loaded with flavor — something I'd missed after being on Koh Tao for so long. We'd ordered quite a bit of food for two people but we found it so delicious that it wasn't a problem finishing it all. If we'd had the time we definitely would've stopped by again.

A tip: Don't show up expecting a quick bite to eat, the food takes an excruciatingly long time to arrive (I think it's worth it though!)

Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

Delicious food, but I have NEVER EVER had slower service in my entire life. We waited 15 minutes just to order, 40 minutes for our food, and then another 15-20 to pay. They really need to fix this, because it’s just simply unbearable. And it wasn’t even busy!!!

However - staff speaks English well, the food is absolutely delicious, and they have lots of vegetarian/vegan options. So that’s a big plus.

Reviewed December 28, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is on the main road of Sairee beach. Vegetarian choice for starters is good but not amazing as we only had a choice of around 3-4 dishes however there are plenty of options for the main courses. Naan bread is very good. Service is quick. Overall worth a visit if you feel like a curry.

Reviewed December 17, 2017 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend love indian food so we decided to give this place a try.

They give quite big portions which is good however the Indian food itself leaves alot to be desired.

Would not go back here and we left feeling disappointed.

1  Thank Katie D