All reviewsprivate poolsairee beachbedroom and bathroomboutique villalounge areaworked finefive minute walksea viewamazing viewsother resortsbars and restaurantstorchpierrepellentminibarthaiinsects
Reviewed April 7, 2012

It is with a heavy heart that I give this place a low rating but I have to be honest for the sake of other travellers out there. It has taken me a while to decide exactly what to put on my review. I hope that the owner decides to make some major improvements as this place does have potential but right now it is overpriced for what it is. Based on responses to other low reviews I am sure the owner will try to refute everything I say but hopefully you the reader see that we are just sharing our experience straight up.

We were so excited when we found this place online as the photos make it look fabulous. We read through all the trip advisor reviews and then contacted the villas to book in because we thought that the good reviews outweighed the bad. We were greeted by a lovely manager on arrival who took us to our villa. When we walked into the villa our hearts sank. The room was filthy and covered with a layer of dust that was all over the furniture and floors in all areas of the villa. The pool area had electrics running very close to it and felt unsafe for our child to play in as it was within grabbing reach. This could easily be fixed so I hope management fixes this up for future guests. I also hope the management replaces any old or ripped towels because for the rate you pay per night you would expect towels without any holes nor would you want a towel that smells funny. The sheets need to be cleaned better as well… when we laid our child down between us to sleep and realised the pillow had blood on it. I looked closer and there was even blood on the sheets as well as on the mosquito netting. As stated in other reviews there seems to be an issue with lots of mosquitoes. We did not encounter this anywhere else on the island so I am not sure why they are so attracted to the villa we were in. I know that you have to expect lots of bugs in any tropical place but this was a bit over the top.

It was too late to do anything about the villa so after one night we did go to the manager and explain that this villa was unacceptable. She said she would clean it up for us. I was hesitant but decided to see if this made a difference. About an hour later we went to town to organise some dives. But as we walked down the steps to our quad bike my husband realised he forgot something so he went back up to the villa and he walked in on over 10 people cleaning the room. In the end we decided we did not want to stay any longer. So we went back to the manager on duty and told her that we wanted a refund. She said that this was not a problem and that she would get our refund taken care of through the owner. So we packed up and headed off on our quad bike to find somewhere else to stay.

When we had received an email from the owner a day later she seemed to be wavering on the refund and she mentioned that the people staying in the villa before us did not complain and thought the room was lovely…well if it was in such great shape then why did it require over 10 people to clean it up? I felt like the owner (who was not at the hotel at the time) was being a little condescending to me and I hope she realises that you should not compare customers nor should you make light of an issue that was very disturbing and upsetting to us…the blood issue was really disconcerting and surely this is understandable to her. For these prices you just expect a bit more on Koh Tao. If it was a lot cheaper you would make allowances for some things but at this rate you expect clean and sanitary conditions. We did get our refund so we are thankful that in the end she understood and was gracious.
On a positive note, the staff that work at this place are fabulous. They are some of the nicest people we have met in all of our trips to Thailand. So we have to say the Anankhira has heaps of potential and is very lucky to have such lovely staff working on location. It is because of the friendly and helpful staff on duty at the villas that we are giving this place two stars and not one.
Improvements that should be considered include: tiling the bathrooms (or most of the villa), having more lighting in the bathroom (or make the window bigger to let in more light), the whole place given a paint job and any loose wiring finished. Actually tiling the villa it would be an inexpensive way to make it look a whole heap nicer…plus it makes for easy cleaning. Small improvements usually make a big difference to guests. Also, the pond or pool looking area near reception should be finished off as it looks poor in the state it is in now.
I hope that next time we are in Koh Tao the Anankhira has made some improvements as I would like to see it become the fabulous place it should be….and then I would even give it a second chance.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank vs2008vs
JayneChard, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2012

It was with great sadness that I read this review and disappointment that's the reviewer tries to undermine any response I may consider before a response is even posted. Trip advisor allows owners and managers to respond in an attempt to ensure that potential visitors receive a balanced view.

First of all let's get some facts straight about our Trip Advisor reviews. At the time of writing 83% of these are either excellent or very good. Three of the four poor reviews are from July and September 2007 and one from September 2009, all from a time when the resort was under different management.

The reviewer arrived at our resort at 4pm, hardly “too late to do anything about the villa” they could have easily drawn any issues to the attention of our Manager at that point but decided not to do so until the following day. This does seem a little odd considering how they now describe the situation in which they allegedly found themselves. As they say the staff were “fabulous” surely they must have known that they would make every effort to resolve any issues they may have had.

I myself responded by e-mail immediately I was made aware of the situation and told the guests that “be assured that we take this matter very seriously”, I think it is unfair to describe this response as “wavering on the refund “ or “ being a little condescending” or “making light of an issue that was very disturbing and upsetting to us “ (i.e. the guest). I had also explained in that email that I wanted to look into the issues they raised in more detail. I think that it is perfectly reasonable that one of my lines of enquiry was to contact the guest who, after a stay of seven nights in the same villa, had left the Villa the day before. They would have an objective opinion. In the event they did not concur with any of the cleanliness or other issues that the reviewer suggests and neither did my customer services manager who went to inspect the room. We did instigate a further clean just to be absolutely certain. It would have been impossible to have 10 or more people cleaning the villa as we only employ 5 resort staff! The reviewer didn't even have the courtesy to look at the villa after this further clean had taken place.

I could take each point of this review and refute it but I don’t feel the need to do that because I'm sure that the other 31 excellent reviews here on trip advisor will allow the reader to make up their own minds. Suffice it to say that all of us at Anankhira were very upset by this review as we take great pride in our resort and the service that we offer to our guests.

I would just like to leave the reader with one final piece of information. At the same time that I was in correspondence with the reviewer I had an unsolicited e-mail from another guest who was staying at the resort at the same time. They wrote:

We are Guests of your Resort and we heard something about unhappy guests in Villa 3. Since the last 4 Years we stay at Annakhira Resort and we are very very satisfied. Yesterday we saw Kit and her Team cleaning and checking Villa 3, (the villa in question) never before we saw a better cleaned Room. We see every year a lot of Hotels, so we think we have a lot of experience about this. If our Opinion is interesting for you, so we think, sometimes People are searching for Problems and they are never satisfied.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Very beautiful resort. Private pools are awesome and very private. All accommodations are perfect. The included breakfast was huge and delicious. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: All rooms looked amazing and have own private pool.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MsMarno

Thank you for sharing your opinion with other travellers. Hope to see again soon!

Reviewed November 14, 2011

The villas are in a really beautiful location on Koh Toa and are sensitively built into the hillside incorporating the natural surroundings.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, Kit was especially helpful to us.

We hired a moped for two days which was needed as it was too far to walk anywhere and saved taking taxis all the time.

We ate in our room the first night and the food was very nice. The next day we went out for a full day and took the option of a packed lunch. Honestly, it wasn't really up to much and we didn't bother the next day as the are no shortage of food options at very cheap prices all over the island.

Our only complaint was not really anything the hotel could do anything about, which was being bitten to pieces by mosquitos! The bed did have a mossie net, which was needed!

Overall we enjoyed our stay and loved the island.

• Stayed: November 2011
7  Thank Neilroberts01

Your opinion is very important to us so thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very proud of the service we offer and glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

one of the best place of Ko Tao 6 WE HAVE STAYED 4 NIGHTS in family ... very very nice memories ... animation and beaches not far away .... good situation in the island good welcome good attention from the people there .... everything perfect exept some mosquitos in aug we will recommend and would like to go back

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank aparna1414
JayneChard, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff work very hard to ensure that all our guests have a relaxing and enjoyable holiday. Please do visit us again we would love to see you all!

Reviewed September 21, 2011

My boyfriend and I tried to book a 1 bed villa but were a little late. I was delighted to receive an offer of the 2 bed villa with bigger pool for the same price! Of course we snapped that up!
Excellent comms from Michelle before arrival and no probs with the pick up from the pier.
The lovely Kit met us with welcome drinks and showed us Mokara villa. It really is just like all the photo's. Fabulous outside livingroom, small infinity pool but big enough for a decent swim and the most lovely views of the sea. Our bedroom was simple but beautiful and spotless. Comfy bed and lots of windows to allow for the views to continue and a large bathroom with hot shower. We enjoying jumping in our pool every morning before breakfast and im missing that very much now!
The living room had 2 sofas and a table to lounge around. A mini bar, large LCD TV and DVD player and a fan if it got a bit sticky.
Kit speaks perfect English and we felt confident that if we had needed her at any time she would have helped us. The staff working there who i believe are mostly Kits family, were just so friendly and genuinely smiling. Everyone seemed so laid back but yet efficient at the same time. We totally overslept for breakfast once and they were happy to still provide us with whatever we wanted. Other resorts would have turned us away.
We felt looked after when we needed anything but aside from that we hardly saw anybody. You are just left to do your own thing and chill out in your tranquill villa.
There are many mosquitos as with any island, we just lit the coils provided and doused ourselves in repellent in the morning and evening and we emerged with only the odd bite.
To get in and out of the villa there are a set of steps. Think about 110 of them. We counted a few times but kept getting different answers.(our villa was the highest i think) We just took it easy and didnt find it too difficult even when a little drunk! There is a rocky and uneven road which only takes a few minutes to walk down and then we cut through the opposite resorts grounds to get to the beach. It really doesnt take longer than 10 minutes from villa to beach. Saying that, we are in our twenties and early thirties and quite fit. I imagine it may be more difficult for those who are not fit.
We had dinner and drinks from the villa restuarant a few times and from the mini bar and it was very reasonably priced for the kind of resort it is. The food was very tasty and there was lots of it.
There were only a few things to mention which were not perfect such as no replacement flannels after housekeeping had been and no shampoo or conditioner provided. But if thats all there is to moan about (which we were not really bothered about) then i think you are on to a winner! If re visiting Tao we will definitely want to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Bebbers
JayneChard, Owner at Anankhira Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2011

Thanks so much for your lovely review. All out staff work very hard at trying to make your stay one to remember. I'm glad your mentioned Michelle she's a little gem!

Please come back an visit us soon.