Koh Tao Cabana
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Rocks Villas(Koh Tao)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
All reviewsrim laesairee beachhoneymoon villawhite sandthe cottagesbeach bedsoutdoor showerwalk along the beachocean viewsun loungerslow tidemain beachfour nightslotus barnight lifeamazing viewsmango bay
Reviewed March 27, 2008

This is a tough review to write because there are so many great things about this place and so many things that made me so happy to leave.

I'll start with the positives. Really cool rooms, unbelievable water and beach area, perfect location. Close to walk to the little town for internet, different meals. My wife and I are vegan and the restaurant at the place made us some great meals and they spoke English very well. I liked the people there.

Now with the negatives. I didn't like the people at the front desk, not rude but not overly friendly or helpful. The rooms are built into the hillside, and with nature, comes nature. Cracks in the doors and windows which you can't close allow mosquitoes to bug you all day and night. Burning coils in your room is so unhealthy and doesn't help that much. The outdoor bathroom seems cool, but try showering before going out to eat while the sun starts to go down. Mosquitoes again. They also clean your room and leave the bathroom door open, which allows 15" geckos to come in your room. They won't hurt you, but they are scary to see running around your room! They came and took them out and released them into the woods however, no killing, yeah! The tv sucks, epsn and cnn, the only two good channels out of 6 never worked. Oh yeah, we paid for a beachfront, thinking it was on the beach. No way, there are NONE on the beach and we were up on the hill. They didn't care to deal with it, seemed like it wasn't worth fighting for either. Noisy, bars bass woke me up at 5 am. And it's not their fault, but the water goes out in low tide about 200 feet and there is no where to swim! It's crazy, but it's perfect in the morning through about 1 pm or so. Snorkeling equipment is free, yet 90% is all broken and unusable.

I can't think of much else right now, but I was so happy to leave that place. It is so beautiful and has so much potential. Too bad.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank librahi
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We were very disappointed with our stay at Koh Tao Cabana. We have been travelling to Thailand for years and married on nearby Koh Samui before heading to Koh Tao for our honeymoon. We notified the resort (when booking and also the day before we arrived) that it was our honeymoon in the hope we would receive something special, however we did not.

Our main complaint however is that the resort is very over-priced for what you receive. It is in a beautiful location, is very rustic and built with respect to the environment. However compared to other places we have stayed for the same price, the service and facilities do not exist. You have to pay for the instant coffee and tea bags in your room, the included breakfast is very limitied and uninspiring and you also must pay for coffee or tea refills. The beds are not very comfortable and unfortunately due to the location of the resort we were often woken in the early hours of the morning by the noise from the bars...the noise bounces off the hills. They do provide ear plugs but wearing ear plugs to bed is not our idea of romance on our honeymoon! We also felt a bit deceived as we had booked a beachfront villa. They are definately not beach front, but instead sit up on a hill and have a fair walk down to the beach.

If this resort was priced accordingly we would definately be back however due the unjustified high cost with the lack of service we won't be returning. Koh Tao is a gorgeous island and there are many other properties that represent value for money.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank OzSwede75
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We stayed at Koh Tao Cabanas for 3 nights and had a fantastic time. We were in a Tree Top Bungalow and it looked exactly like what you see on the internet. The room was clean at all times, there was everything and more that you needed in the room including a hair dryer. The outside bathroom was delightful. The staff were helpful and very polite. The restaurant produced very tasty meals which could not be faulted. The view from the hotel is lovely as it overlooks the whole bay. The beach was great and you could even do some snorkelling in front of the resort and see some amazing fish. What was nice about this place is that it was right at the end of the beach so if you wanted peace and quiet you could have it and if you wanted to have a bit of party then you could walk down the beach to all the different bars/restaurants. I definately recommend Koh Tao Cabanas, it was fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 24, 2008

We stayed at Koh Tao Cabana in the Honeymoon Villa for 4 nights. We were pleasantly surprised when we saw our room. It had the most amazing view we have ever seen! And the most breathtaking sunsets I have seen in my life. The room was uniquely built into the rocks and was placed right over the sea. We had total privacy from our room and balcony. It is rustically beautiful. But this is what makes it unique and, in our opinion, one of our favorite accommodations in Thailand. Don't expect a 5 star hotel. Our room had broken deck boards on the porch, older (but comfortable) furnishings, etc. But we really loved our "hippy hut" with the most amazing romantic views of the sea and beyond. Unique and comfortable. We loved the restaurant and the waitresses. The front desk lady was wonderfully helpful and really cared about our experience at the hotel. Wondrful hotel-- but do book the Honeymoon Villa. In our opinion it is the best room for views, privacy and romance. Our only complaints: The noise from the disco did carry over the water and was VERY loud. The ear plugs provided in the rooms did little to help. Also, we were shocked to find a small amount of trash on the rocks below our room. The trash had been there for awhile and we were surprised nobody took the time to clean it up. Other than that, wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I choose Koh Tao Cabana because I saw on site picture of Beach front cottage and I really liked it for the wonderful position on the rocks on the sea. I reserved this kind of accomodation (the most expensive cottage) directly on their site to close in a relaxing and romantic place a 3 weeks thay tour with my boyfriend and my disappointing was huge when arriving I got a cottage with sea view (n. 12) but not directly on the beach! I tried to complain but the management told me that also the mine is defined beach front even if not directly on the beach (the reort was fully booked so we couldn't change for whah we leked and we have payed for. The hotel is very well positioned (at the end of Sai ree beach and far from the pier) and with a well mainted garden. The cottage are in wood with a nice terrace with hammock and nice big window, but with a quite dated furnitures, the open bathroom (with probles of different kinds of insects and off course moschitos) and to expensive price (95 euros x night!). In the evening we also discovered that the restaurant terraces are populated by big rats and one night we also found one in our toilet. During the night there was always the sounds or rats steos on the roof. The breakfast is not bad, but if you want somethig in the omelettes (i.e. cheese or ham) you should pay the extra! The check out day, even if the time limit was 12:00 the wok up us at 08:30 a.m. to remind to leave the room.
To resume the room is not so nice, the restaurant staff is not friendly at all, rats and insects aroun, very expensive and unfair.
If you decide to go there and you want a nice positioned cottage I suggest you one between 14 an 17 (I attach a resort map).
I suggest you to save your money and chose something else in Koh Tao!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple