See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 28, 2017 via mobile

We were on a road trip that day, and we've already a lot of km. driven, so we decided to sleep in Nong Khai. A quick check lead us to Panlaan Boutique Resort, and I must say, not a bad choice!
Super friendly staff, nice location with private car park, garden,swimming pool, nice rooms and a decent breakfast.
Panlaan Boutique Resort was a discovery for us, and if we are back in Nong Khai we'll sleep again at Panlaan Boutique Resort,no doubt!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeterMimi2525
Reviewed February 16, 2016

Limited choice of breakfast, the room was clean and new at an affordable price. Check-in was fast and easy. Room size was sufficient for two.

Location a bit off the main street but that makes this place quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pear P
Reviewed April 9, 2015 via mobile

So I'll stick with the facts on our stay.
* Approx 3.5 km from town so a tuk tuk is a must. Good luck having one arranged if you haven't done so already.
* Little to no English spoken at all, I don't expect a huge amount but I do expect hotel staff to grasp the word tuk tuk or towel.
* Upon arrival they want $500 baht in cash for a 'key deposit'.
* Bed is like a concrete slab. Seriously, a concrete slab.
* Breakfast was pitiful and tasteless, numerous ants all over it. You can have white bread, ant infested jam, sugar cereal and milk from a babies bottle or scrambled eggs or omelette with frozen peas and carrots and a cut up hotdog Frankfurt. Went once, didn't bother returning.
* Room not serviced 50% of the time. When they showed up at 3:45pm and were politely declined, they had a nerve to act all insulted. Considering I've seen a total of 4 other people here I'm wondering what they were doing considering we were out the entire day. The fact that I had to ask for towels and toilet paper two days in a row made it not only frustrating but inconvenient.
* Bar area/swimming pool plays music from 6:30-7:00am.
*Someone had to sweep all around our villa at 6am, while chatting on their mobile phone every morning.
* Outdoor lights blaze all night.
* Curtains in room paper thin meaning above blazing lights will light your room up like the Spanish Inquisition.
* Bathroom sink is cold water only.
* Shower is cold to lukewarm at best.
* Pool out of order.
* Air conditioning is either on its way out of they have tampered with the temperature, because right now it's on the lowest possible temperature (16 degrees) and feels more like 26. I had no choice but to put it on this setting.
* Most staff OK and will try (or get someone off the street to help interpret)
* If I had an endless wallet and wasn't conscious of my budget I would have checked out after the first night.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Truth000
Reviewed April 8, 2015

The key thing about this hotel which really made our day, was the VIP treatment. It just felt like everybody went the extra mile on a daily basis to make sure we were looked after and happy. The rooms are airy. clean and a pleasure to come back and relax in.

The only challenge we had was the quality of the coffee!! BUT no fear as the team kindly drove us to Starbucks every morning to make us feel at home -- who can complain with that?!

Room Tip: Ask for an extra soft bed or additional mattress.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2015

After a really positive start to our two months in Asia as far as hotel choices went, our last couple can only be classed as disappointing. This hotel isn't terrible, it's not dirty or run down as such, the staff aren't rude or inept, but it's just annoying and irritating. It has numerous issues that will just annoy the absolute crap out of you.

Annoyance 1:
Staff are helpful but only one of them speaks any English. I don't expect that people in other countries automatically speak my language but as a hotel it'd be kind of useful to have someone who has a basic grasp of English available. I'm not even expecting conversation level, but simply being able to order a tuk tuk or ask for water.

Annoyance 2:
It's miles from the town centre. I initially thought this may be positive; however when combined with annoyance 1 and the below annoyances it loses most of its benefit. Luckily we found a tuk tuk driver who we used the entire time we were here otherwise it would have been difficult.

Annoyance 3:
The pool. It's green. Even if it wasn't green, it's about as inviting as an aneoma. It's next to the restaurant, has two or three dilapidated looking lounges and isn't really what I'd class as boutique. While I'm on that, who decides what boutique is? What defines that a hotel is boutique? This place would be more of a motor inn or motel than a boutique resort in Australia. It's the kind of place you'd find on the outskirts of Kempsey or Eidsvold or some other dump of a town, where the owners have tried hard but just missed the mark completely. Take note of random animal figurines around the place which also adds to the oddball feel.

Annoyance 4:
The noise. We were two of about 8 people staying here for the entire four nights we were here; however the staff seemed to have the urge to play bassy music the entire time from early in the morning until 930 or so at night. Why? Who the hell knows. I'm sitting in bed at 630am writing this listening to it now. Why am I awake you may ask. See annoyance 5 and 6.

Annoyance 5:
The bed. It is a dead set slab of concrete. It has all the give of a wrecking ball. I've slept on this brick three nights now and it hasn't done my back any favours. You can't get comfortable, the pillows are mini brick clones of the mattress and its just awful.

Annoyance 6:
The lights. This is my biggest whinge. The lighting around the compound as I'm going to refer to it is like the burning orbs of 1000 dying sun's. Great you may say, good for security. No, not great. The curtains are about as useful as a third armpit and may as well be made from doilies. The lights never go off, EVER. They will keep you awake. It's like an interrogation room run by the CIA. It's a freaking nightmare. See photo If I can manage to upload it. I couldn't quite capture it but that's at 3am.

Annoyance 7:
The shower. No hot water. No pressure. That covers it.

Annoyance 8:
Housekeeping, or lack of it. Went out most of the day, would come back and room not done. Asked for towels and water, after Chinese whispers between about 17 staff we eventually got them. About 1630 knock on door, wanted to clean room. No thanks. Could have done it in the five hours we were out.

Annoyance 9:
Construction. Didn't notice it first few days but then on day 3 it was like they were running a tractor pull round the compound. Didn't last till late but when combined with annoyance 1 thru 8, well you get the idea.

In short, which this review isn't I know, don't stay here. Nong Khai isn't a bad place but I'm sure there are better options. Would not recommend, would be surprise given customer satisfaction, number of guests here this time and location etc if it is open this time next year.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple