“Great choice”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Sukhothai
Melbourne, Australia
“Great choice”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed 3 nights at Ruean Thai in Feb 2012 in a ground floor room by the pool. The room was spacious, comfortable, clean & quiet. The owners & staff were wonderful - always attentive, smiling & helpful. The whole complex is full of charm & character & the large pool was a blessing after long hot days in the Sukhothai sun. We left valuables (cards, cash, passports) at reception which the staff were very careful about sealing & having me sign for. Breakfast was of a higher standard & more varied than we had experienced elsewhere on our trip - very pleasant start to the day. They offer free transfers to/from local bus stops & will arrange transfers to/from Phitsanulok for a fee. On the morning we left we caught a very early bus & the owner quickly volunteered to take us there (no charge) at 6:30am. To our surprise his wife was also up early to ensure we had breakfast before we left. A charming, comfortable place to stay with friendly staff & excellent service.

1 Thank beast0101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 2 March 2012

A friend and I rented 2 rooms in the hotel for 2 nights in February, 2012. We used the pool 2 evenings, ate in the restaurant both nights, and ate breakfast both mornings. We both recommend the hotel.The hotel is an intriguing mixture of old and new. The hotel itself is a relatively new structure that incorporates old Thai buildings. It is very attractive. It is, however, located in a nondescript part of New Sukhothai in manner that is not unusual in Thailand. I found the hotel staff to be friendly and helpful. Everything that was promised was delivered. The hotel restaurant is small, but the menu selection is quite broad. We ordered a mixture of familiar and new dishes, and enjoyed them all. My bed had mosquito netting because the windows have no screens. I assume that is typical of the other rooms as well. The WIFI can be a problem, but I found that using the hotel’s alternative network solved the problem neatly. The hotel car will drive you to Old Sukhothai – or pick you up from there - for a fixed price. It’s an excellent deal if you find other guests to split the cost. The hotel car also drove us to the train station in Phitsanulok.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Let me just say that for the most part we write about places that have stood out for us in a good way. I sincerely wish this was the case here but I'm sad to say that it was not. The food was inedible (Dinner), breakfast was the Thai standard not good but not bad. Our room smelled like the urinal that is in the bathroom (close your bathroom door - ours had been open for some time before our arrival). There was a huge ball of the last residents hair in the shower. There isn't a single restaurant or shop nearby. The owner is very nice as was one of the girls who helped us check in. The rest of the staff apparently were doing their best to ignore us. We have travelled all over Thailand and for the price that they are charging have stayed in amazing properties. The quality reflected here would be better represented at say HALF the price. I have photos of the bathroom and hairball but they would just be gross.

3 Thank KKMURR
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This is a charming hotel, with a helpful, friendly staff and a lot of homey character in it's design. The rooms are built around a central swimming pool, which is a nice place to relax (unless it's full of a lot of children, which was often the case when we were there). Breakasts were adeqiate; we enjoyed the food at the restaurant more Downsides are that the rooms are small, with little storage space, and you have a choice between a room on the street side, which is probably noisy, or a room on the backside, where there are barking dogs and roosters. Bring earplugs. Mattresses and pillows are FIRM, to say the least. This is not a fancy place, but it's a good value, and you'll definitely feel like you're in Thailand rather than in a generic hotel that could be anywhere. As for location, it's a 15-20 minute walk to restaurants and the night market, and a drive to historic Sukhothai.

Room Tip: I liked being upstairs, with a deck above the pool, rather than on the 1st floor adjacent to the poo...
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed 11 February 2012

First of all I decided to stay here as I wanted my mother who was visiting to be in a nice place while visiting the Sukhothai Historical Park . This place was rated number 1 when I booked . I guess maybe there isn't anywhere else to compare it to and that is why it is number one .

Pros. 1. If you don't have a car it's convenient to go to the park
2. Nice pool
3. Very friendly staff

Cons . 1. Was given a Superior room that was in a corner with new view ( changed to pool view . 2. Very hard beds ( o.k it's Thailand to be expected )
3. A urinal in every guest room ? Wow That's new for me and you know you can't rid of that smell no matter what , keep your bathroom doors shut . STAFF , get rid of urinals
4. Breakfast LOOKED good but everything was iced cold . I don't know why a lot of places use chaffing pans for keeping food warm and then don't use the sterno underneath to keep the food warm . Thai dishes cold , eggs cold , well you get the picture . STAFF , get rid of the ( free) breakfast and get a cook . AND instant coffee , yuk !

Bottom line this place is worth no more than 800-1,000 baht tops and o.k for one night if you must , We moved on to Sukhothai Heritage Resort WOW for just 1,000 baht more , no comparison but you do need transportation . STAY HERE ONLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR

Room Tip: O.K for a night at the most , close bathroom doors so you don't have to smell the urinal
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Jay W
Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel from 1th to 5th February 2012.

2nd February I brought an envelope with amex cheques, cash and my passport to the reception desk and asked them to put it to a safe box.

3nd I came and asked for the envelope to take my passport to rent a motorbike. They brought the envelope to me. I did not leave the reception desk. I took the passport just in front of them and returned the envelope back to them.

5 th. I checked out in the morning and asked for my envelope. They answered that they did not have it as I already had taken it and they did not remember the moment I returned them the envelope after taking my passport from it. That is next to impossible because I clearly remember that I returned it back. I asked them to check a camera at the reception, but they answered they did not have cameras in the hotel. I also asked them to check everywhere and moved to Chiang Mai.

The same day I called AMEX support and asked them to block the cheques numbers. They also asked me to go to a police station and get a police report.

6 th. I went to a police station wrote the full story and they provided me a report.

8 th. I went to the police station to check progress about the investigation. No luck. A guy from the police station said if they wanted to steal money it's hard to prove.
I called back to Sukhotai hotel to wonder maybe they have found the envelope, but the answer was no again. This time the owner suggested me to lie that I lost my travel cheques in Chiang Mai not in Sukhotai. Nice.

By the way, it's a nice hotel, but keep all your valuable belongings far away from the reception desk.

P.S. This is an updated review. I attached the police report in my previous post, but it did not appear. Hope this time it will work.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
117 Thank Sergey K
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 7 February 2012

It is a very nice hotel with a lovely swimming pool, cosy interiors, decent breakfast and a very pleasent service. I do recommend!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends