All reviews mr berend his wife rabbit fish vegetable garden the owner lake toba tuk tuk pork ribs family boat organic farm special dinner group of friends memorable stay organic food full kitchen highest recommendation
Reviewed March 23, 2018

It takes about 10 minutes (depending on traffic) from the car ferry in Tomok by car to Horas family in Tuk Tuk where we rented the family bungalow. An ok bungalow in the traditional Batak style. The place has two bed rooms. One upstairs (in an open space, 1 double and 2 single beds) and in a separate room (with two double beds). Both rooms share the same, open space shower, downstairs with a small washing basin and toilet. Be aware you do not have too much privacy. The bungalow has some cooking material (however we were not impressed) and overlooks a nice, well-kept garden with vegetables, cages with rabbits and chicken (which you could order to be prepared for diner), a children's swimming pool and a sitting area at the lake (where you are able to enter the water) and sit on some (iron) beds.
We however did not appreciate this place at all. This was due to the behavior of the (Dutch) intrusive owner. He found it complete normal to sit down (uninvited) during our diners/social events (of which one was a celebration) and invited us to serve him a beer. We were so shocked and it took us quite some time to make him clear we did not appreciate his company. Also at other moments he just interruped us being together. We also discovered a camera on the terrace which made us feel even more observed. We were pleased we could leave this place and will never return nor recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JAEMH
HorasSamosir, Owner at Horas Family Home, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Thank you so much for your still quite positive description of the house and the garden.

Let me briefly address your two major points, which occurred in the following order.

1. The camera on the terrace.

The subject was raised by you with my wife. This happened before the first time I intruded on you. She explained that our camera system was not operational anymore already since a couple of years. In addition she told a staff member, who happened to be around, to remove the plug from the not working camera from the socket. The male guests, informed the lady that they were fully satisfied with this.

2. The intrusions

This happened two times, once on your first evening and once on the second evening, and in total lasted some 15 minutes.

Each time I politely asked permission of one of the male guests and permission was granted, our in my opinion pleasant conversations were cut short by the lady.

During your full day with us the same male guest came quite a few times to me at the reception. Each time he came I quitted immediately what I was doing, offered him a chair and happily answered any question he came up with. I also recall these discussions also as very. The guest must have spent minimum one hour with me. I wonder if this hour also qualifies as me intruding on your privacy.

We thank you for promising that you will never return.

Berend Bakker and Mian Siallagan.
HORAS FAMILY HOME | EXCLUSIVE AND EXCELLENT

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful four night stay in the Family Home, the largest of the three houses on the property. If available, I recommend you rent this house. Your front yard is the organic vegetable garden that leads down to the lake. A full kitchen allows use of the homegrown veggies. Meals are also available: I recommend the freshwater lobsters! The service at Horas Family Home was suberb, with detailed information before our arrival and friendly and attentive care during our stay. Any type of activity can be arranged, or you can just relax and enjoy the scenery, take a kayak out or marvel at the huge orchid garden. There are friendly pets, rabbits to feed, and a shallow swimming pool as well.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2018

This place has everything that Lake Toba has to offer you as a tourist: peace immersed in nature, coolness of the lake breeze, cosiness of home like no other, life in its most joyful and simplest form, and a bright night sky filled with stars of afar.

Notice how I sound so poetic as I am writing this review. Thinking about this place lets my mind drift again, carried by the waves, to this enchanting place.

For just 87 dollars, five of us had a more than memorable stay at this place. Beds and sheets are very clean, toilets work well with hot shower and towels, shampoo and body wash come free. The living room area offers a very good gathering place for family and friends and there is even a stove and refrigerator! The resort is also located near to some of Lake Toba's best restaurants, bars and so on.

The family resort is very near the lake and you can rent a boat for free. The owner of the resort was very friendly and very helpful as well, helping us arrange our transport back to the airport. He has been staying in the island for more than a decade, and if you have a good chance, he may tell you very interesting stories about Lake Toba's history, beginning from the volcanic eruption to the spread of Christianity.

All in all, I can do more than just recommend this place to anyone reading this. I have been to Lake Toba 5 times in two years and this was the best place.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

My second visit to Horas Family home , Nice to meet Mr. Berend and the wife again and Thank you for the warm Welcome.
Thank you for the Nice and big room, preparing our breakfast, dinner and the transportation around the Samosir island.
Glad to See your orchid collections, your organik vegetables garden, the rabbits and swimming pool.
Thank you very much also for bringing us tO
Tomok tO catch early Ferry
Till wE meet again

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2018

We were made most welcome by all the staff at Horas. The rooms had lots of communal space and the gardens were splendid with direct access to the lake. Many watersport facilities are provided free and a swimming pool was being completed. There is also a stunning collection of Orchids lining the path to the garden.
All the information you need about the island is provided when you arrive and The owner Berind gives an honest account of any services that are available including options from elsewhere. He also researched some pretty tricky bus route connections for us when we left, which probably saved us half a days travelling.
All in all I had a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: The rooms in Horas 2 all have plenty of space to sit and read or chat.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends