All reviews bush breakfast athi river yatta plateau across the river sun downer peace and tranquility bush experience unique experience safari camp out of this world meera thomas kilimanjaro sundowners simpson banks hippos
Reviewed December 28, 2017

I went back after many years, almost 20 years to this lovely camp on the banks of Kenyans mighty Athi River. Having survived the harshness of Africa Tourism, we were most delighted to see a clean camp with excellent staff who were out to please.
Having travelled all over Africa, the food here beat all the big names including Angama Mara and Finch Hattons. It was home made and absolutely fantastic.
The owner and her team looked after your every whim. The Sundowner site was difficult to get to but once you arrived, you never wanted to go anywhere. 220 degree view of Kilimanjaro to Malindi.
The Bush Breakfast as fantastic. On the banks of the Athi River with lovely hippos wallowing beyond. If you want a relaxed safari with absolute privacy, go to Tsavo and enjoy this place.

Room tip: The River Facing Tents are all Great
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2017

Oh WOW!!! Where do I start…

Me being a solo traveler I guess I am always looking for something slightly different than a group or couple. Whatever I was looking for, I found it at Tsavo Safari Camp and more.

This trip almost didn’t happen due to my own lack of planning and by the time I confirmed unfortunately the train tickets were all sold out however Meera went out of her way to ensure I still get to this paradise.

From the moment you cross the river with a guide that knows the river like the back of his palm you get transported to a different world and you leave your worries on the banks of the river.

Meera is the ultimate host and caters for every individual’s needs to absolute perfection, nothing is too much for her to deliver and exceed every guest expectation.

The food is out of this world and every meal gets prepared with care, the freshest most beautiful plates gets presented time after time. There are NO long buffet queues and set times with repetitive food from the previous day that gets served over and over. Every meal gets prepared from scratch with a different flair every single time. Just imagine the most fantastic Christmas dinner with a turkey and all the trimmings and in the background the sounds of wildlife…. Can’t beat that!

Please note that if you are looking for open Mara plains with roaming animals this is NOT the place to visit. The landscape is totally unique and although the animals are everywhere; obviously a little more difficult to spot but you can hear and smell the real African bush and will be pleasantly surprised with a big elephant bull waiting for you around the corner.

If you are rather looking for an authentic unpretentious bush experience that you will remember for the rest of your life, this is a must!! From bush breakfasts on the banks of the river to sundowners on the plateau which on a clear day you will be able to spot Kilimanjaro … this might just be the place where you reconnect with the real deal

Thanks to the entire team: Meera, Matthaeus, Tom, Samson & Thomas for making sure I will be returning very soon and making me feel like part of the family!

Room tip: Ask for a river facing room
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

I just got back from am absolutely amazing 5 days at Tsavo Safari Camp with a group of 4 adults and 5 kids. The camp is extremely comfortable in an outstanding location in Tsavo East National Park. The food served up over or 5 days was brilliant. I have been on countless luxury safaris all over kenya but Tsavo Safari Camp has made a special place form itself in my heart. The camp is not luxury but it's simply amazing and cannot be faulted for
Anything.
It just felt so right and it has a great energy with great staff and an AMAZING owner who works so hard to keep it all running so smoothly despite all the difficulties that come with running such an operation in such a remote wilderness. I would highly highly recommend this camp. Wildlife is scarce in the great expanse of the Tsavo but the landscape and natural beauty left me completely mesmerized.!The elephants here are massive and truly wild like the rest of the animals. If you want to experience old Africa in comfort and extreme peace and tranquility then this is the place. I will be returning for sure.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2017

We had a great 2 days here. We travelled by train and were picked up at Mtito Andei. The knowledgeable and helpful staff at the camp looked after us incredibly well and provided for our every need. Highlights - sundowner up on Yatta Plateau with the most fantastic views, game drive with picnic by the river, bush breakfast. The food was absolutely delicious - fresh and cooked to perfection. A relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank scd17
Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

This has got to be my favourite spot in Tsavo. We had an incredible 2 day safari here. The game was abundant and the camp itself was lovely. The Bush breakfast was a highlight for me and I enjoyed the pool after a day of hot dusty 4x4 drives...

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple