“The perfect paradise Island holiday”

Bagus Place Retreat
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Pulau Tioman
Reviewed 30 May 2012

With friendly hospitality, excellent food, very comfortable accommodation, great bathroom surrounded by paradise, It had everything I hoped for in a lay back holiday. I'm already planning my next holiday in Bagus Place Retreat.
The walk to the water fall is a must, and not hard to do. More butterflies than I've seen anywhere. The village on the way has an old world charm that you don't find much any more. Carry a few ringets to buy an ice cream.
Snorkling off the jetty is a very convenient way to see hundreds of amazing different coloured fish. No need for resort pool the ocean is so perfect.
I don't feel I've done the place justice with this wrap so check it out for yourself.
Cheers John and Julie

Room Tip: We stayed at the rock house and were very pleased with its spaciousness, simplicity, location, priva...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at Bagus for 4 nights in the Boat House. The welcome from Annish and Karma was warm, friendly and included a welcome cocktail! Bagus was everything we had hoped it would be, Great snorkelling, walks, lots of sun, fresh air and no phones!
The rate includes 3 meals a day; breakfast is al a carte as is linch but dinner which is served at 7.30pm or when all the guests have arrived, (there only 6 bungalows I think), is whatever the the cook has decided or what is available. Alll of the meals were good ranging from adequate to great!
We loved our time there so much we want to go back immediately. I note of caution though, there is a new "resort" being built next door. Its not big but the beach will have to be shared with more people.

Room Tip: All of the bungalows are comfortable. We liked the boat house because it is quirky. Going to the toi...
1  Thank Russell087
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We have just returned from a holiday to celebrate my 60th birthday. This included 10 days at Bagus Place Retreat. This resort is wonderful! It is hard to describe the mood it invokes, you really have to be there. We had arranged to meet our son & daughter-in-law, who live & work in Shanghai, both in pretty stressful jobs. At the end of their week at Bagus they didn't want to leave - ever! I must mention the staff, especially Anish & Krishna, (hope I've spelt their names correctly), who manage this paradise. They never failed to do all they could for their guests, working, what seemed like 24 hours per day. We stayed in Rock House - wonderful and built partially over the beach. No complaints and a view to die for. Food was great and with seemingly inexhaustible amounts available (unfortunately for our waistlines!) The snorkelling was top class - turtles, sharks, the lot. Walk (& ride back by boat) to/from the waterfall via a beautiful Malaysian village highly recommended as is an additional boat trip to snorkel around Ringis island. We even attempted the 'Twin-Peaks' trail & made it to (nearly) Check Point 6. That was quite an experience - 2 hours in virgin rain forest. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Bagus is a rare thing, a discrete, eco-aware, uncrowded, (there were never more that 16 guests), unspoilt and unbelievably beautiful place. I started by calling it a retreat. It's not! It is, or at least quickly becomes, a way of life. I must finally mention Claire - the person you contact re: booking etc. We have only ever communicated by e-mail but ...I think I'm in love!

3  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights and we extremely love the place. The resort is exactly like what is being pictured on their website. Secluded beach, pool-like clear water, good food, great staff and the list goes on. Snorkeling is by far the best thing to do at Bagus. We encountered a turtle and reef sharks on the first day itself. As Malaysians, we were a bit skeptical in the beginning. We didn't expect Bagus Place to be this bagus (Bagus is a Malay word for good) but in this case, we give Bagus Place an exception. The only thing that we are worried is the new development located a few hundred meters away from Bagus Place. They look like they are going to spoil the natural setting that Bagus Place has.

All in all, the two nights that we spent at Bagus Place were too short and for that we will definitely be coming back to Bagus Place in the near future!

2  Thank Faizuddin
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Bagus Place was exactly what we had expected and hoped for from looking at their website and reading other reviews. A gorgeous tropical island setting, clear turquoise water, fabulous and accessible snorkelling, warm and friendly service, great locally sourced food in a low impact, low tech setting - a great place to get away from it all. We were there for 5 days and it felt much longer. We enjoyed the snorkelling at Ringis Island so much that we went twice!
Just a tip on the walk to the waterfall - a little more strenuous than we expected and a bit difficult to find the path in a couple of places. Once you reach the next resort and get to the phone tower make sure you go to the left of it to continue the walk. Take a small amount of cash for a cold drink or an ice block in the village.
We certainly hope to return some day.....

Room Tip: Boat House quite dark downstairs though there is a day room upstairs which is very pleasant. I'd...
5  Thank Helen C
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Idyllic location in a tropical paradise. Bagus Place Retreat has great views, excellent meals and limited accommodation (7 chalets) so is an ideal choice for a relaxing holiday. The staff were friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sch52
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My husband and I stayed for three magical nights with our children 7,6 and 1. If you love nature and your children are happy playing in the sand, snorkelling, reading and playing board games then this is the place for your family. However, if you need a lot of activities to keep the kids happy then maybe try somewhere larger. This is a small, quiet place to connect with eachother and truly relax. I LOVED it. Thanks Bagus!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family