“Pleasant Surprise!!”

Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Miri
Geelong, Australia
“Pleasant Surprise!!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I really did not have any expectations prior to arriving at the property.
I was pleasantly surprised by the lovely reception area, and the general calm feel of the place.
The staff were very accomodating and friendly.
I stayed 2 nights and had a wonderful time. The pool was great, the room was nice and big and had a wonderful view of the pool and the sea, the airconditioning (once we worked out how to use it!) was fine and all prices were very affordable and the food overall was not too bad for buffet food. I would definately go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I was here for the weekend and because of my membership with Marriot Rewards, I put up at this hotel. I have visited several Marriot establishments and found this one short of the standards of the usual Marriot hotels I have experienced thus far.Having said that, there were its good points.

Pros:
(1) The staff were polite and very accommodating. They upgraded my room to poolside view because they had run out of kingsized beds in the garden view category, and when I requested for late check out, they happily obliged till 3pm( which is very good as most establishments would only allow till 1 or 2 pm)
(2)The rooms were clean and bright and as always with Marriot, the beds were very comfortable and spacious.
(3)The Mandara spa was a wonderful experience and they had a very discounted price this weekend where their specialty of having 2 masseuse would massage in tandem for 1 hr and 20 mins cost only RM268 nett; a real steal considering the original price was nearly RM600.
(4)Breakfast was not as extensive as some other Marriot hotels. But they had a very good fresh juice station , where juices were freshly squeezed according to your request or one could settle for their different concoctions which were just as thirst quenching and delicious.The egg station was also very good and had a wide variety of condiments one could choose from for one's omelette.
(5)The swimming pool was a good size and family friendly with a water slide for kids.

Cons:
(1) The rooms were all situated rather far away from the reception and the pool rooms were based in a 2-storey wing so it would not be ideal for the disabled, unless a request is made for the ground floor rooms.
(2) It did say pool view but one had to peer through a lot of coconut palms to have a peek at the pool.I guess the coconut palms were strategically planted in fornt of the rooms to block out the sunrays in the afternoon that would have otherwise streamed into the rooms and be too warm for comfort.
(3)The aircons in the room were blowing directly onto the bed so it did get too cold at times and the controls even though turned to the minimum did not seem to work and one had to turn the aircon on and off intermittently to control the temperature of the room.
(4)The hotel faces the sea but it is a pity that there is no beach and it would be dangerous to venture any further than the rocks fronting the sea, so swimming in the sea was totally out of the question.
(5) The hotel is rather far from the main town area so unless you have transport, it can be rather inconvenient, and also boring unless you are only there to chill out .However, it is very near the airport , being a mere 10-15 mins away by car.
(6) The rooms generally were rather jaded and looked tired.
(7) I was rather disappointed when I walked into the spa to make an appointment , and the staff there gave me a menu to select from. Now I was told earlier that there was actually a discounted price for the Mandara special spa( synchronised massage with aromatherapy oils by 2 massuese) but the staff did not mention this at all. Only when I asked, did she point ii out to me. And even then, she quoted me a price which was above the one stated in our rooms.I had to correct her and confirm the discounted price payable before I proceeded with my treatment.

Having said all the above, I would probably book here if I just want some quiet family time and had a car at my disposal( although the hotel provides free shuttle service) and because it is probably the best hotel in Miri.Otherwise, a hotel in town would probably be more convenient for food and night life..

Room Tip: Try the spa! It is excellent and they are not cheap.However, do look around your room for adverts fo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank oal151
Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one 2 days 1 night during Chinese New Year in a deluxe chalet..very comfortable bed, pillows on your choice, warm hospitality rendered upon my check-in, with a warm smile...nice view during sunset..prices are affordable..clean bathroom, as well as toilettries were neatly put in place...will surely stay at this hotel again for future trip..

Stayed January 2012
4 Thank FidelisPatrick6700
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Booked the pool room and requested for the 1st floor. The room was big and lovely but the aircond wasn't working that well as it was not that cold even when I put the temperature at 10 or 15 celcius. The bathtub was small and it was hard to move when showering. There is no shower room/cubicle. The balcony was a bit small. Thought that the room view would be the swimming pool but there were a lot of trees which blocked the view of the swimming pool. Breakfast was just so so. It was not so great though a lot of choices.

The service was great as they keep on trying to assist me on anyway possible to try to make my stay wonderful. The room service food was delicious. The highlight of our stay was the swimming pool. It was wonderful and my 2 year old son love it and yeah the slides was fantastic. Recommend you lots to stay here as I think this is the best hotel in Miri to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 16 March 2012

First timers to Miri, the Marriot seemed to be the only choice for quality accommodation in the area. We were greeted at the airport by the hotel van, checkin speedy, no issues.

Rooms spacious, easily accommodated 2 adults and 2 kids, staff attentive yet at times we had issues with english. Breakfast buffet great selection, staff looked after my 2 young daughters every morning. Sampled the restaurant at night a couple of times and was fine. Massive pool, during the weekday we had it too ourselves.
Regular shuttle into Miri centre, bit surprised when being dropped off in town the driver did not bother to come around and assist by opening the door etc, not 5 star,. Great valua at $100 AUD a night with breaky for 4.

Not a lot around the hotel, no shops/markets etc. a couple of restaurants across the road.

Obviously predominately a corporate hotel during the week,

Overall it's what you should expect from Marriott.

Would stay again. Andrew (Melbourne)

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank collaroy1182
MiriMarriott, Public Relations Manager at Miri Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Dear Andrew (collaroy1182)

Thank you for choosing Miri Marriott Resort & Spa. The complements are much appreciated. Glad that you managed to try out our outlets, your contacts with our staff and also taking time to discover places around Miri too.

Have noted on your comments on our van driver which we is much regretted, nevertheless your feedback has been shared to avoid recurrence but to be more helpful.

Our Zest restuarant will be undergoing renovations in April to create a more freindly and trendy ambience plus creating more space at the terrace opposite the swimming pool.

The building of Kids Club house will also be taking place in place starting April and expected to complete sometime in Quarter 4 of this year.

We look forward to be at your service again in the future or recommending Miri Marriott to your friends.

Thank You.

Lian Pasan
PR & COmmunications Manager.
Miri Marriott Resort & Spa.
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 11 February 2012

In May 2009 I spent there sunny and adventurous week. The resort is clean and nice with perfect sunset views. Room had the balcony and much space not only for my bosses, but also sofa for me :-) I enjoyed bufet breakfast and dinners, especially lobsters. Food was excellent and I think the best i have ever eaten in Marriot resort. There is no beach, but you can find beaches on east side from Miri. Miri is very strategic place in Borneo for travelling with "star principle". You can rent the car an make day trips to forest national parks or magical Brunei :-) You also can make the day trips to Kuching/Bako national park or Mulu or Kota Kinabalu of Labuan by plane. Prices of services, rentals and transport were nice, when you plan and book long time forward.

Room Tip: Sunset room with balcony.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Brown Bear T

Thank you for choosing Miri Marriott Resort & Spa on your trip to Miri sometimes in year 2009 and your review on TripAdvisor last month. We were honored to have been at your service. We are glad that you had a wonderful stay in Miri and also well informed about places around Miri through your recommendation, Bravo!

For your info, there use to be a nice beach right infront of our hotel about 10 years back which begin to wash away eventually after the diversion of the Miri river mouth 5KM toward town and after the construction of the Marina Bay for boats/small vessel bays. Unfortunately, the beach has disappear completely other than the beach areas you mentioned.

We look forward to be at your service again in the future and appreciate your recommendation of Miri Marriott to your friends.

Thank you.

Pr & Communications Manager
Miri Marriott Resort & Spa
Bintulu, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stay for 4D3N on business in Nov '11

Pros:
1) Friendly staff.
2) Comfortable rooms.
3) Well maintained swimming pool.

Cons:
1) Check-in takes longer than expected. More paperwork than usual.
2) Chalet room located bit far from main building. But it let you experience the beautiful landscape.
3) Restaurant manager should learn from humble 4* hotel, LeM at KK on how to serve impressive breakfast. Initially, I was expecting better than what I have in KK.
4) No free WiFi? I'm not expecting this from non-business hotel. Noticed that it's free upon membership. So, why don't promote instant registration to let your guest enjoy free Wifi and at the same time become registered member.
5) The resort has with beach but not sea.
6) Chalet ground floor has no carpet. Upper floor is furnished with it.

Room Tip: There are chalet rooms that let guest view the sea. Please ask the reception.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Mohd_Rafi
Dear Mohd_Rafi,

First of all, we would like to say BIG THANK YOU for staying at Miri Marriott Resort & Spa. Now that we have registered and autheticated Miri Marriott Resort & Spa's TripAdvisor page to allow us to interact with our reviewers on TripAdvisor.

We apologise for the shortcomings during your last trip but nevertherless we are doing everything to improve on it order to give our guests the best at all times.

We have recently upgraded our internet connection speed and the Free Internet connection for Marriott Rewards memebrs (rolled out by Marriott Worldwide last year) is still available.

Unfortunately, our "Once Upon A Time" beautiful beach infront of the hotel has washed out completely after the diversion of Miri River mouth and the construction of the Marina Bay.

We look forward to be at your servcie again.

Thank You.

PR & Communications Manager
Miri Marriott Resort & Spa.