US$100
US$91
  • Pool
The Reef Chalets(Pulau Perhentian Besar)
  • Free Internet
Perhentian Tuna Bay Island Resort(Pulau Perhentian Besar)
  • Beachfront
Bayu Dive Lodge(Pulau Perhentian Besar)
  • Beachfront
New Cocohut & Cozy Chalets(Pulau Perhentian Besar)
  • Beachfront
Cozy Resort(Pulau Perhentian Besar)
Flora Bay Resort(Pulau Perhentian Besar)
  • Restaurant
Eco Marine Perhentian Island Resort(Pulau Perhentian Besar)
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Perhentian Cabana(Pulau Perhentian Besar)
All reviewslunch and dinnerexcellent beachbeachfront roomcrystal clear waterwhite sandy beachturtle pointturtle watchingboat taximonitor lizardssnorkeling tourlocal foodthe resort offersala cartebig islandlife jacketsbeach towelsper person
Reviewed October 1, 2007

We arrived on the 23rd of September for 7 days after booking on internet with Anjung (local travel agent). Here are my impressions:

Anjung travel: Very good and friendly. They pick you up at the airport (Kota barhu) and arrange the boat transfer to the island.

First impression at arrival: Nice location and beach but there was an ugly and noisy construction site to put a useless industrial size peer on one side of the beach. Nobody advised us of that and we get a bit upset as the paradise beach we thought we would find was spoiled...

Rooms: We get a semi suite sea view room with air conditioning. The room is ok and right on the beach... a bit expensive for the 350RM payed but globally we were happy with it.

Beach and snorkling in the resort: Appart from the ugly rusty barge on one side, the noise and the exhaust gas smell due to construction, the PIR beach is by far the nicest. Not boken coral on the beach, beautifull water colors...We went snorkling the afternoon we arrived and were happily surprised to discover 1 to 3 meters deep reefs with coral and lots of colorfull fishes just 30 meters from our room (clown, puffer etc.). The long chairs provided were ok, and it was not unusual to find turtles in the sandy area of the beach (around 75%, the remaining 25% being reefs). If it was not for the construction site, I would have given it a perfect mark.

Restaurant: Crap... crap... crap. By far the worst we tried and we were happy not having meal vouncher tying us to this resort... I don't know if it is because it was ramadan or the end of the season but they only had 25% of what was on the menu.... and what they had was very basic or simply not good. Fortunatly, it takes 5 minutes walk to get to the next beach where the restaurants were quiet good with a friendly atmosphere (I expecially advise the 'reef' with nice coktails and food and welcoming staffs).

Diving shop: We wanted to check a few diving shops (in view of passing the PADI open water diving license) before deciding which one to go to and started with the one on the PIR. It ended up being the only one we visited as we were very happy with their prestation and friendlyness. Nice and helpfull staff for all levels, decent prices... the diving shop was the best thing in this resort... :-)

Overall impression: Nice holidays. We spent 7 nights and didn't have time to get bored. We came at the end of the season and it was very quiet which was what we were looking for. Disappointment with the food at the resort (not a big deal with all the restaurants nearby) and the construction site that nobody told us about prior arriving... Very nice diving and snorkling... over all good impression. Would have get a better marking if not for the unannounced industrial building site 50 meters from the room...

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pdechateau
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Let’s start by the only two good points here. First, the beach: this resort is located on the only good beach of the Perhentians. The second is the diving center which is very helpful.
That’s all for the positive things. The hotel is the worst I have been in my life (or maybe few Indians hotels could also compete for the gold medal of the crappiest hotels in Asia). The rooms are smelly, humid and dirty. Check carefully your blankets, you might have surprises….A/C is leaking as well. In four days there, I saw many guests complaining about the same things, I even saw some of them shouting at the reception. Swimming pool is terrible (water is so dirty,you can’t see 5cm below) Food is terrible. One advice, cross the woodpath at the left of the hotel, and go to the two last restaurants. The last one is called “Mama’s”, nice staff, cheapest items and good food. Before that one, don’t remember the name, there is another very good restaurant (good pizzas, and very good seafood) with nice staff.
If I have to come back on Besar island, I would definitely not come back in this resort and would try another one but would swim on the same beach.
Conclusion: avoid that hotel!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank katmandou
Reviewed July 30, 2007

This resort located at an "isolated" part of Pulau Perhentian Besar, thus if you prefer quiet, than definitely you will like to stay at this resort. The room I stayed is not bad, but my others friends's room are dark & the equipments are pretty old already.
The food are bad & not enough (may be during public holiday & peak season, but they should catered-in & counted how many visitors will stayed there).
During our time stayed at this resort, there was one night the resort cut down the electricity power at late night for certain time (even the phone line also been cut). When we checked with the staff on the next day, they said this is normal because they do not have enough power generator during peak season!!!
But, the beach along this resort very nice, the sea water is crystal clear (please see my attached photos).

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank spl_ma
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Have retuned from 3 week trip to Malaysia having been to this country several times before. My husband is from there.I have never been so disappointed in a resort as in this one.The chalets are VERY basic with laminate flooring which is slippery when wet.Furniture-a bed and a desk and thats it.The bedding and towels looked about 20 years old and the water from the taps shower and toilet was BROWN.
this apparently is due to the fact that the water supply is from a mountain and so can't be helped.The buffet meals were unappetising looking and several things were not available from the a la carte menu.This seemed to actually amuse the waiter!
To sum up the beach is beautiful and the snokling is great there as coral and fish are better than elsewhere but for me anyway its not worth it to stay in a dump.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank charlotte_p
Reviewed June 25, 2007

We weren't expecting much form this resort as we knew that the island wasn't very developed (a reason for going) and only wanted basic, clean accommodation. It's the most expensive resort on the island and I wish I could have seen more to compare.

The room was fine - basic but nice. The location was amazing. The first problem we encountered was the dirty towels which were changed for others which were not so dirty but still stained and old. Our toilet leaked which was 'fixed' immediately but we then found that they had put a small water bottle under the leak and when this was full the bathroom floor was soaking wet once again.

The worst aspect were the pillows. It took us 3 days to work out why I kept sneezing when we were in the room but when we removed the pillow covers we found that they had mould on them. I asked for them to be replaced but they never were (we used our towels for the rest of the stay).

The food was also awful. We ate most meals at the neighbouring resort (Coral View) and Mama's Place which were lovely. This wasn't a problem as we hadn't pre paid for food and I would recommend that you don't.

All in all I couldn't say not to go there as we had an amazing time on the island (diving with Coral Views dive centre highly recommended) and we knew that the rest of our time would be spent in recommended hotels so weren't really bothered by the issues but the few things I've mentioned may spoil some people's holiday.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple