1,038 results
All reviews lunch and dinner excellent beach beachfront room crystal clear water white sandy beach turtle point turtle watching boat taxi monitor lizards the resort offers local food ala carte life jackets beach towels kuala besut jetty sea view scuba diving
Reviewed May 11, 2016

Location: We come at this island twice per year. This hotel is value for money. This is the best beach of the island. You don't need any boat to transfer you anywhere, or to walk. The beach is 1min walk from your room. The turtles are here, the colorfoul fishes are here. Magic...

Room: Every time we come we notice improvement at the hotel and the rooms. Clean rooms with a/c, fridge and comfortable bed. There is no tv but who needs tv here? You will go at the room only to sleep. The sky is full of stars at night...unbelievable..the turtles were giving birth on the beach...we didn't even want to go back to the room. Keep notes that the wifi is only at the reception and breakfast area.

Staff: Friendly and kind staff. The manager of the hotel Mr. Tan, is always around to give any info needed. Mr. Tan has a lot of work to do, environmentaly, to preseve this place.

Facilities: The buffet area is cool with fans. The buffet is just ok. It is a chance to try more local food. There is no espresso or cappuccino, only local coffee. There is also a pool at the hotel, but who is going to use it? Additionally there are yoga classes in the morning at 7:30-9:00, in front of the beach or next to the pool.

Negative: We realized this year that the boats that were not supposed to enter the area for swimers, they were entering a lot. This was happening every day. They are not careful at all. Mr. Tan has to find a solution about it. The marine police came twice.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank mdrydaki
sstan2016, Manager at Perhentian Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2016

Hi M !
Thank you for your continuous supports towards Perhentian Island Resort and it was definitely a privilege to meet up with you and your friend during your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and very happy to know you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Isn't it exciting to witness first hand on the sea turtle laying eggs in the middle of the night :) It is our responsibilities as a resort operator to ensure a sustainable tourism activities in Perhentian Island and we will continue our efforts in various conservation initiatives. However, it is also sometimes disheartening to see some of the local tour operators for flouting the laws but we work closely with both the Marine Department and Marine Park Department here to minimize this incident. Both these agencies have been very cooperative and supportive as we have the same objectives. Being a responsible and reliable resort, we emphasize very much on guest safety for our snorkeling boat trip. As much as we want our guests to have fun and enjoy the beauty of marine life here, we also want our guests to be safe and help us to protect our marine park, thus a safety briefing is compulsory for all our snorkeling trips. We sure hope you will return here again in July and keep our fingers crossed, as you may have the opportunity to witness the hatching of baby turtles then. Write to me for an estimated time frame for this exciting moment once you have a tentative plan :) Thanks again once more and have a wonderful week ahead.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2016

We travelled from Kuala Terranganu to Kuala Besut by bus - less than 22MYR for two persons, but took about 2,5 hours. From Kuala Besut is very easy to reach Big Island and PIR, we paid 100 MYR for two for boat tickets, fast boat, about 30 minutes to PIR (the office across the bus station), plus 10 MYR both as island conservation fee. As for PIR, we had the room with garden view, that is, the furthest from the beach, and it took us two minutes to get to the beech. There is ac, balcony with chairs, fridge, table, kettle and complimentary coffee and two bottles of water, complimentary toiletries. The biggest minus was the internet,which we needed badly to planand book the rest of our holiday - only available at the reception, but was not working even there, on some occasions we could not connect at all. Eventually the staff connected us to another network. The room could do with a bit of extra cleaning - toilet seat,shower curtain,wardrobe... And the food is really expensive,whereas too many of the items from the menu are not available. The beach is great, clean, it is not crowded, there are enough chairs, fresh towels are provided daily. There are options for playing badminton, pools, tenis, beach volley, there is a swimming pool and a gift shop, and there are tours (shark point, turtle point, etc). Possible to walk over the island to the other side, they call it jungle tracking. Easy to reach places with good and cheaper food (use the stairs to go to the other side, you can also see the Little Island from there). I can recommend this place.Staff really super nice.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lillemusen
sstan2016, Manager at Perhentian Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2016

Hi Lillemusen,
Thank you very much for sharing your detailed experience in visiting Perhantian Island and our resort. I'm very sure all readers will find your comments very helpful especially on the transportation. For your information, we could also make a hassle-free transportation arrangement which include boat and land transfer from our resort to various destinations, including the Kota Bharu Airport, Kuala Terengganu or even Cameron Highlands. My apologies on the room condition but as you may noticed, our refurbishment is in progress and hopefully all can be ready by 3rd quarter of the year. You are sure right that our staff is our greatest asset and we will continue to strive for better services to all our guests. We sure hope you will continue to explore other parts of Malaysia and really hope to have you back here with us again. Thank you once again with best regards.

Reviewed April 28, 2016 via mobile

My last visit to Perhentian Island was 4 years ago and I stayed at Bubu Resort (really good fooddd) , but this time after doing a lot of research I decided to give Perhentian Island Resort a chance...and I was NOT dissapointed , AMAZING experience !

I stayed in the Premier Beachfront room and it exceeds my expectation. The room gives a beach atmosphere , very fresh and relax. They come w all the standard amenities of safe deposit box, fridge, hot water, air con. The only thing they do not have is Cable TV , heck who needs TV when u r on a paradise beach! The bed was very very comfortable , thanks to my favourite King Koil mattress (yes I am a freak when it comes to bed, check my other sleeping reviews)

The breakfast & lunch was just OK, average at its best. Before coming here I have set my expectation right as I am not paying a 5 star hotel package. On one night they had this BBQ promotion, 1 word DELICIOUS. It was juicy, well marinated and the seafood was fresh. If u r staying longer and are bored of eating the hotel food, you can venture out on the other side of the jetty (long walk, for me the standard of the food is the same) OR take a boat to Perhentian kecil . Again people, don't expect a Michelin Food, the environment is just like a night market so food is also just OK.

And the most amazing thing about this hotel has to be its BEACH!!! Unlike the other resorts on Perhentian , it's an exclusive beach. 1 hotel & 1 beach, not crowded. U feel like u own the entire thing. The sand was white and soft, perfect for everything. Recommendation wake up early, jog and book yourself at one of the new beach chairs w the fancy umbrella. The water was bluish green and I noticed best time to take pic is between 12pm-1pm.

Other unique thing that I found (stop reading if ur not an animal lover) was the amount of animals living in this ecosystem. The squirrels r so friendly and if u have food, they will literally come and eat on your palm. Giant monitor lizards (not for the faint hearted), black monkeys at the jungle behind and bats flying during sunset. The highlight of my trip was the MAGICAL moment of witnessing a giant turtle laying eggs on the beach (later I found out the hotel beach is called Turtle point daaaa). U have to inform the front office to wake u up if there are such occurrences. I was waken up at 2am in the morning and we were only allowed to see from a distance , once the turtle has dig the sand and lay eggs than we can come and watch it from behind. I don't have any adjectives to describe it, after accompany my wife in the labour room I can only imagine the pain the female turtle is going through and appreciate more when life is created. Immediately there are ppl from the Conservation Dept took the turtle eggs away to protect it from poachers.

My only recommendation to the Mgmt is to take care and improve the landscaping of the place. It's definitely one of the few places on earth that has the beautiful combination of sea and forest. Oh and would be great if WiFi is available at more places other than the lobby and restaurant.

I will definitely come to this place again. If I were to do things differently is to book through their website and take the full package. It saves me the hassle of bargaining w the taxi drivers in Kota Bharu, adding other packages or wrongly planned my trip and forced to sleep in kuala Besut .

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank FarisFasri

Hi Faris,
Welcome back to Perhentian Island after a 4-year gap :) and discovered the beauty of Perhentian Island Resort. It is definitely a different setting all together here in our resort as we are the only resort on this secluded and calm bay, no loud music or partying all night long. At Perhentian Island Resort, we are working towards being an eco-friendly resort with emphasis on marine conservation activities. You are definitely being one of the few lucky ones that managed to witness the turtle landing and laying eggs on our beach. The sighting of turtle landings this year has been very encouraging and we are pleased to share with you that our very own Turtle Nesting Zone will be up and running by early May once it has been cleared by the local turtle caretakers. We have taken note on your comments about our food and are pleased to inform that our a la carte BBQ dinner is now available on every Wed, Fri and Sunday evening instead of only once a week due to encouraging demands from our guests since we use only high quality and fresh seafood. We have also noted on your comment about our internet service as well as the landscape which we are currently working on it. Unfortunately due to the current super-dry hot weather, it has somehow damaged some of our crops. Luckily we still able to manage our water supply well to ensure no disruption to all our guests despite the hot weather. Many thanks once more for sharing your wonderful experience and we sure hope to see you here again for a much longer trip. Have a great weekend with warmest regards.

Reviewed April 28, 2016

We came to the Perhentian Island Resort to relax after a few days in KL. It's in an amazing setting. The beach and surrounding coves are spectacular. The sea is crystal clear and the snorkelling/diving is fantastic, we saw sharks, turtles, sunfish and pufferfish. We had a chalet on the beach which was fine but decor looking a bit tired. Our air-con kept breaking down which in the heat was annoying. The food is buffet style but pretty good. Staff are very friendly. Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

Hi Mr CLC,
Isn't it great to escape from the hectic scene in KL to the calmness of Perhentian Island ? Welcome to our small paradise with beautiful scenery and natural wildlife, above and below the sea. Perhentian Island Resort is currently in the midst of upgrading our rooms in stages and we have received many positive feedback from our guests on the newly refurbished rooms. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to your room but we are definitely getting this fixed soon. Your next visit will definitely be a much more exciting experience and do feel free to contact us for any further arrangement. Thank you for sharing your feedback and have a great weekend !
Best regards

Reviewed April 27, 2016 via mobile

This resort is too good! Clean white sand beaches, pretty much a private beach, water activities and very friendly staff. The only downsides are internet - it is available only in the restaurant and lobby area, and the food - if you are a vegetarian. But you will survive is food is second to nature in your priorities!

Turtle watching and the snorkel sites the instructor took us to were pretty good! I wouldn't mind going back here.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends

Hi !
Warmest greetings from the isle of paradise :) and thank you for sharing your feedback. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us generally and we have taken note of your comments. It is quite a challenge here in Perhentian Island with regards to internet service as the highest bandwidth available is only 1MB. We will however look into various other options knowing the importance of internet service these days to most of the travelers. Even though there is no vegetarian menu stated in our menu list, our culinary team will be more than happy to accommodate special requests and needs from our guests. Being a host on this island, we will do our very best to assist our guests as much as possible. We are very happy to hear of your intention to return back and do feel free to contact us for your next visit. Many thanks once again and best regards.