See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I'm actually still on the island and sitting in the restaurant of the Paradise Resort. What a waste of money. I don't really know where to start but the accommodation was well below what I even expected as a backpacker. Our room had outside (but private) bathrooms and this was not the problem at all. We were informed by this beforehand. Anyway, after our arrival to a dirty room we had to beg for towels and certainly did not beg for a window in the room. This would have involved major construction work so we accepted a 'windowless' room. After all we were here for diving and the diving was great. I will rate the dive shop separately since Watercolors Divers is a different story (they are very good). Ok after we got used to a rather terrible room and also found that other divers already checked out of the resort, we were faced with the Paradise Resort Restaurant. Oh my god. We were on a dive package where food was included so we were literally forced to eat in this 'canteen' and I have seen much better canteens during my student time. I allow myself to such a harsh critic because this is our fourth (4) time here but it seems that ever since Anke left a while back, the resort and restaurant was crashing down like a plane without fuel. I'm now sitting in the restaurant and we ordered a juice about 40 minutes ago. We also already reminded the ladies two times so let's hope for the best. I don't even get angry anymore, it became more like a game in which we stop the time until the food comes and bet on how many time they forget the order or totally mix/mess it up. (I have to say that there is one lady from the Philippines which is great but she can't make up for the rest). When it comes to food, they have a different BBQ menu for every night of the week. I tried the Lobster 4 times and the NZ beef stake (275 grams) 5 times. No have, no have, no have. And many other items on the menu receive the same comments. oh...our juice just came with 45 minutes delay but at least it was the right one :-) I know it's our fault since we should have checked out Tripadvisor as we always do but since we have been here 3 times before, we know what to expect...What an error....So stay away as far as you can ! (We eat one night at Coral Bay Resort and it was beautiful. From the service to the food to the view, everything perfect !)
And again, don't mix this up with Watercolors Dive Center. Andrew and his crew are great and we had a super time with all the instructors and everything. We are experienced divers with more than 200 dives and Watercolors is really a place to go but you MUST go for a different resort and definitely restaurant. This is my harshest comment so far on Tripadvisor and I comment a lot ! Good luck Paradise Resort !

Room Tip: Don't bother...Stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I had a fun 5 days at Watercolours Paradise Resort. I mainly went for the diving but the wildlife around the resort was a bonus. (Dusky Leaf Monkeys, Flying Lemurs & Monitor Lizard). It meet my expectations as THIS IS AN ISLAND accommodation with bungalows & huts not a luxury resort. I noticed peoples reviews about low standards of facilities eg. Bathroom but after travelling around Thailand & SEA this is normal. At least this resort has A/C & fans in the rooms, reception has storage/lockers for valuables and also facility to charge electronics. The restaurant is amazing, has great food, friendly staff, power plugs and wi-fi. Diving is FANTASTIC, good small friendly team with a great shop & well run. Would love to return!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank aimee1812
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I checked ou of this 'resort' without staying a night. Your room is a shed with a bed, there's no electric plug sockets, mould on the ceiling and you have to virtually sit on the loo to take a shower. The water from the basin drains onto your feet and the place is in need of maintenance. You can get a better standard of accommodation at the resorts either side of this one.

The food was good in the restaurant though and there's free wifi there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank mandaland
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We didn't stay at this resort, but the reviews don't look good.
Nonetheless, the food at the Watercolours pub is both tasty and varied. Given the challenges of operating on an island they seemed to do a great job. Prawns in creamy garlic curry sauce were great and the pizza's were prefectly fine too. Beef in szechuan sauce and chicken in creamy garlic curry sauce were good also. We ate here 3 nights in a row as hotel food on the island is pretty awful, so this represented a real find for us. It is crowded, lively and fun, with free wi-fi too. The range of beverages on offer was very wide indeed. Service wasn't flawless, but all done with a smile and genuineness, and after all is said and done its a beach bar, so expectations shouldn't be too high anyway. It also represented good value for money, too.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have just returned from the WATERCOLOURS resort aka Paradise resort on Perhentian Besar (Big island). If I had have known that this was the same place and read the reviews I would have thought twice about staying here. However this place took bookings over the phone and as it had only one room available left over the weekend, it was a bit of a rush decision.
We paid RM90/night for a basic room and stayed for 5 nights. We would have stayed for a shorter time but everywhere else was booked up. The room was very basic but a reasonable size. Basic meant fan only, cold shower and no electricity points. These 2 last points weren't mentioned on the website or at the time of booking. However we have been to Fiji previously so were quite used to this standard.
The staff were mostly very nice happy people who seemed happy to help. We were welcomed with a fruit drink also.
After getting to our room, we realised that there was a very strong musty smell. We think this comes from the old mattresses used. Ours was almost black but they do use a clean mattresses protector though. However I went to the front desk and asked to get the mattress changed. They did this straight away and it was replaced with a slightly better looking old mattress. So we made do for the 5 nights.
The restaurant was pretty good, very busy and quite slow. Especially when it rained every night and organisation seemed to go out of the window.
The island itself was a lot quieter than the smaller backpacker island and could have done with more nighttime entertainment especially as it was the peak season.
In summary, PLEASE, PLEASE replace all of the MATTRESSES with NEW ONES!!!! Then freshen up ALL rooms so that it is livable. We may be backpackers on a small budget but that doesn't mean we expect FILTH!
If we were on a bigger budget we wouldn't stay here again!

Room Tip: Probably the cheapest AC rooms on the island at 120RM/night and Book early especially during peak season (June/ July)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple