See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 21, 2014

A friend and I stayed in a double room without a bathroom as we were trying to economize on our three week stay in Morocco. The hotel is on a random side street, but it is conveniently located in the center of town within close walking distance of the medina and restaurants. The room was clean and brightly painted with a mural of the city on the walls. Though the decor wasn't necessarily my style, I didn't find it off putting for 100 dirhams (each) per night. The staff were friendly upon arrival and the owner spoke good English, Spanish and French. The towels provided for the shower were slightly larger than hand towels, so if you plan on staying here you might want to ask for a few extras or just bring your own. There was no toilet paper in the shared bathroom, but we probably could have asked for that too. Instead we used our own during the few hours we were there. The bathroom that was near our room, was not nice to look at; however, the water in the shower was very hot - a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, I am no longer one to stay up late and we were placed in a room facing the street. Our room had a small balcony that faced the alley below, which was not a pleasant view. The doors to the balcony and window did not close tightly. Because of this, we listened to people pass by on the street until at least 3AM, we also listened to a cat meow incessantly and overheard a feline scuffle at one point. Our room door did not close firmly either and for the first hour after going to sleep the door would move with the breeze making a thud each time. Eventually, I got up and placed my backpack in front of it so that it would no longer move. When the call to prayer came at 5AM we were again awoken. On top of the noise, though the sheets were clean the mattress was hard and lumpy and the pillows were the same. Fairly early in the night I chose to use the neck pillow I'd purchased in the airport instead of the large, hard pillows. This may be a personal preference as my travel partner found the pillows to her liking.

The next morning when I went downstairs to ask about the train schedule and station, I was told by the gentleman (not the owner) in broken Spanish (I don't speak French) that he didn't think there were trains until later. He proceeded to go just outside the door of the hotel, give a gentle kick to a man sleeping on the ground in front of the door and ask him in Arabic about the train situation. I heard the sleeping man mumble something and the hotel employee confirmed that there were no trains until 10 or 11. That was it, no offer to help us find out and no additional information. Considering the price of the hotel, I didn't fully expect 4 star assistance, but I certainly wasn't expecting someone to be wrapped in a blanket sleeping on the street in front of the hotel entrance to provide information either.

In sum, if you are broke and are comfortable with clean yet austere accommodations then this may be a good spot. If you are a light sleeper I'd recommend you ask for a room that is not on the street side. Also, the shared bathroom on the third floor seemed a bit nicer than ours so a third floor room may be better in that regard too.

Room tip: If you are a light sleeper I'd recommend you ask for a room that is not on the street side. Also, the shared bathroom on the third floor seemed a bit nicer than ours so a third floor room may be better in that regard too.
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at hotel belle vue zillis . I liked it so much the hotel with excellent location, just a short walk from the city center and old medina, very good prices compared to other hotels in the city, clean and quiet . Very friendly and helpful people in the reception, they invite us to eat with them and to drink tea during Ramadan time

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is closely situated near the medina. Staff is very friendly and open.
We were invited to have dinner with them.
The rooms are very basic yet sufficient. We got a free upgrade to a much better room and the price is negotiable. Free wifi is included, but the range barely reaches the first floor.

Room tip: Negotiate about the price and room.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

For travelers on a budget, this place was perfect. We stayed here for 2 nights.
Don't expect 5-star luxury but it's cosy, clean and comfortable for this price.
The whole place, including the rooms, is overly decorated in pink and purple and there's a rooftop terrace that has a lot of potential if cleaned up a bit. Shared bathrooms were basic but clean and decent, just like the rooms.
There's also a cosy communal 'living room' downstairs with free wifi.

Both hosts were really hospitable and friendly (one speaking good english and french, and one speaking good spanish). During Ramadan they even invited us to join their dinner which we did, thanks again for that! :)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My boyfriend I have just got back from travelling in Morocco for two weeks and had the terrible misfortune of staying at Hotel Belle Vue Zillis. We initially booked 3 nights to stay at the hotel thinking what fantastic value it was, however after only spending a few hours there we decided to only stay one night (although I would have much preferred to leave there and then but unfortunately we were restricted by our budget!). The room we had was filthy and had pubic hairs on the floor, the bathroom we had we did not use because of the terrible sewage smell and so instead opted for the communal bathrooms which seemed comparatively more luxurious! The hotel's name 'Belle Vue' is incredibly ironic seems our view consisted of a dirty street with cigarette buts all over its window sill! The location was also terrible, although it was within a few minutes of the walk to the medina it is also on a side street which means you are regularly approached to buy cannabis. My advice would be to fork out an extra few dirham rather than stay at the Hotel Belle Vue Zillis which was quite frankly a disgrace!

Date of stay: September 2012