All reviews crepes concepcion volcano wonderful hosts homemade yogurt shared bathroom private veranda booking taxis b bs travel arrangements second level a special place pleasure of staying taxi service swimming hole perfect place to stay ometepe island highlight of our trip
Reviewed March 22, 2012

La Via Verde was the perfect place to explore the great things about beautiful Ometepe Island. We loved every second of our stay here, and extended it for 2 extra nights. Eileen and Darren are wonderful hosts and were so extremely helpful with absolutely anything we needed to know. My boyfriend had just had his luggage lost, and we thought we were not able to climb the volcano, but Eileen managed to find several different options for us until he at last found some shoes, and the climb ended up being a fantastic experience. Aside from this there is the beautiful scenery, tranquility, beaches and swimming, wonderful food both at Via Verde and nearby, and the comfortable and homey rooms. Eileen you made this trip truly memorable for us, thank you so much

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mid21
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The place is very nice, clean, great views, comfortable.
Their breakfast they prepared was always the best meal of my day.
The owners are extremely hospitable and want you to enjoy yourself as much as possible. They arranged horseback riding, three messages, taxi's and recomandations to the best resturants there.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the balcony facing out towards the lake.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leif H
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My husband (boyfriend at the time) and I stayed at La Via Verde a year ago, February 2011--and Eileen was gracious enough to share her pancake recipe. Everytime I make the pancakes I am reminded of what a wonderful time we had at their place. I just read all the reviews for the past year, and everyone else has said the same thing, and it's all true! Eileen helped us with a GREAT car rental that we got in Granada and drove all over the country in (we left it on the mainland for our trip to their place, since she warned us about the rough road). And I just read that it's getting paved--nice. Much easier to get to, altho' you won't have the 'story' of getting there to tell when you get back home! Anyway, we would also say this was the very best place we stayed on our 10 day trip to Nica. I totally loved how friendly the locals were, and the quick little walk down to the lake to take a swim when it got hot in the afternoon. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Thanks Eileen and Darrin--and sorry it took me so long to write this review!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

What a warm hospitality -))).
If you like the nature, birds, small mammals, lizards, the best choice is La Via Verde B+B. From the first contact untill the farewell I can say only good things. Eileen -the owner- organized our travel from Granada to the Organic Farm and at the end of our stay she arranged our transfer to Leon as well. We got substantial breakfast, everything was delicious. Both the rooms were upstairs where there was a marvellous view of the Conception volcan and the Lake Nicaragua. The room and the bathroom were absolutely clean, the bed was comfortable. There was no TV but I didn't care. It worth getting up early to take many photos of the colourful birds and squirrels. There are many restaurants nearby and a pizzeria too. Don't miss the 8-hour long island tour by taxi which is just 60 dollars, and the waterfall hiking, as well as the volcan climbing to the view point of Madaras volcan.
All in all I was satisfied with everything,

Room Tip: There are just two rooms. Both of them are similar.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My partner and I spent one incredibly romantic week at La Via Verde. The greatest experience of our two-week trip to Central America was getting to know Eileen and Darrin. They have truly put their heart and soul into making this a very special place to get away from it all, and we truly felt like family when we (sadly) had to leave. We would go back in a heartbeat because the experience of staying at La Via Verde and Ometepe was unmatched during the rest of our vacation.

We had the most amazing breakfasts each morning. I enjoyed the pancakes, homemade vanilla yogurt (I still crave it), granola, fresh fruit, juice (sour orange!), omelette, and the SUPER high octane coffee to get us going! She also chatted with us, inquiring into our plans for the day and giving us advice on the best ways to get around the island, the sites worth seeing, the best places to eat, and anything else we should know to get the most from our stay. We followed her advice faithfully, and between exploring the petroglyphs at the Finca Magdelana coffee farm, swimming at Ojo, hiking with Alexi up the volcano, or biking/hiking up to the San Ramon waterfall, and other adventures, we never had a dull moment. Of course, we took plenty of time to swing in the hammocks with a good book or laying down on the very comfortable beds for a siesta.

Every detail from how the house is constructed to the oh-so-handy coffee maker seemed well thought out with a high attention to quality, satisfaction, and peace of mind. No matter what we asked of Eileen or Darrin, they were always willing to accomodate our requests. On the last day of our trip, Eileen even gave us a couple of buckets and some laundry soap so that we could leave with clean clothes before moving on to Costa Rica.

If you are considering staying here, I would recommend staying for AT LEAST a week so you can get to know Eileen and Darrin and have plenty of time to explore all that the island and its people have to offer.

Room Tip: We stayed in each of the rooms and enjoyed them equally. The room upstairs on the left has a slightly better view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple