this review can't do justice to how awesome this place is, but i'll try.
1. HOSTS. holy smokes, eileen & darren are 2 of the warmest, most welcoming hosts we've ever had anywhere, including all the awesome air bnb hosts we've had. you don't expect that from a commercial B&B. they're both very kindhearted, friendly, smart and we loved what they're all about as human beings. eileen is funny. great conversations. i really loved how, when darren saw how much i love wildlife, insects & spiders, he made an effort to take me around and show me things on the property, including a tarantula, which is something i've already wanted to see. we were able to totally be ourselves with them, and that was an almost instantaneous dynamic from the moment we arrived. also, eileen is extremely helpful - she'll help you organise whatever activities you want to do, change $ and will be super flexible.
2. FOOD. OMG, just OMG. breakfasts are beyond delicious and if you want to stuff your face, you can do that. i recommend everything on the menu.
3. PROPERTY. i wish we'd had more time because i would've gladly spent an entire day just hanging out, poking around the farm looking for critters, reading in the hamac and enjoying the amazing and constantly changing view of the volcano. this is complete & utter relaxation in the most beautiful surroundings.
4. LOCATION. ometepe is a big place, and i preferred this area, with its proximity to a village with awesome dining at cafe campestre and the wood-fired pizzeria / hippy hostel in the forest (so bizarre), to where the area around xalli ometepe B&B, where we had to go stay our 3rd night because eileen was booked up that night.
5. BLDG. beautiful construction, with super high-end finishing like you don't expect in C Am. they built it themselves (i mean, acted as contractors) and gladly shared the story of all that (see point 1 above).
6. ROOM. holy quality, comfy bed ! holy amazing balcony ! yes, the rooms are very small, but when you factor in the lg additional living space offered by the balcony, with its rocking chairs & hamacs, it's pretty spacious. besides - who comes here to enjoy the interior of a room, anyway ?
7. BATHROOM. OK, it's shared. so if you're not cool with that, don't come here. we didn't actually realise that before we showed up, and after an initial 'UM...' moment, we ended up not caring. they keep it super spotless anyway. and it's large and beautifully appointed, and we never had a "conflict-of-interest". besides, there's another full bathroom downstairs so that technically, there's 1 per room (as in, there's only 2 rooms).
8. CLEANLINESS: except for the spiders (see below), this place is spotless.
9. BATS: a small colony of bats roosting in the shed - that makes this bat biologist very happy.
10. DOGS: one dog is always around and he's one of the most beautiful dogs i've ever seen (also very clean, i.e., doesn't smell like dog). very calm as well. the other dog, we saw only once.
11. VALUE FOR $. it simply doesn't get better than this.
Well, these aren't really about this B&B, and they might not be cons per se.
1. SPIDERS: Ometepe has more spiders than any place i've ever been. EVERYWHERE. you can't walk anywhere, incl on the road or the property without running into spider webs. while i was having breakfast, a spider spun a silk thread to my hair. around playa domingo, we saw a spider infestation in the roadside trees like something out of a movie. now, i like spiders, so i'm fine with that, but if you don't, then i don't really recommend ometepe at all.
2. FERRY: i live in SE Asia and have used ferries in the philippines & indonesia on several occasions. but i've NEVER seen anything like this. overcrowded (in a major way), the smaller passenger one on the way back had holes & cracks in the wood and we could hear the wood creaking, and the ride was super rough on the way there (and we were standing in a sardine-like situation). on the bright side, it's cheap and there are life jackets.
if you can handle those issues, then book this place - i can't imagine a better stay anywhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ometepe, offers amazing nature, a chance to step back into a simple, slower way of life & charming friendly inhabitants who can teach us all something about being happy with less. As Americans who love living here (since 2004) we hope to provide a bridge of understanding & connection for you into the culture & life of this very special place. We would love to help you plan & organize a trip that will align with your interests & optimize your experience. Located on our organic farm La Via Verde is a cozy, intimate B&B with only 2 bedrooms on our second story. Up in the trees the wrap around verandas have great views of Volcan Concepcion, sunrise and sunset. Rooms have private balconies, queen bed, ceiling fan and are screened. There are 2 shared baths with flush toilets and limited hot water showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Via Verde - Organic Farm Hotel Isla De Ometepe
- La Via Verde - Organic Farm And Bed And Breakfast