See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 30, 2016

The highlight of staying here was definitely Yuri, the volcano/kayaking guide. He took us up Volcano Maderas, and was the nicest, friendliest guide we could have asked for. He provided all the necessary information up front and was very informative on the hike. He checked in to make sure we were ok and always kept an upbeat vibe. We did the tour in Spanish, but his English is really good also. Definitely hike with him, and tip him well because he deserves it!

We stayed at Rancho Merida for three nights. The little cabins are basic but nice, the staff is friendly, and there are lots of cute animals running around. The rooms are very hot though. This place would improve a lot with some AC or more portable fans.

Rancho Merida is quiet, aside from the roosters, but we were two young girls traveling, so wanted a little more action. We ended up walking to Hacienda Merida (1 min away) every night to socialize with the people at the nearby hostel.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2016

Merida is a little harder to get to but worth the effort. While touring the Isla de Ometepe we stumbled across Rancho Merida and ended up extending our stay on the island by a few days just to hang out there. Antonio and his family have created a lovely landscaped green space which surrounds the restaurant. We were fed and well watered for very readonable prices. The cabanas are spacious, the beds comfortable and the front patios are a great place to sit and watch the day go by. Close to the trail head for the Volcan Maderas, the San Ramon waterfall and Monkey Island is a short paddle away. Anwar, our guide was helpful, friendly and made sure we had all we needed taken care of. Highly recommend you check this place out!

Room Tip: The cabanas are a great deal, as are the rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne P
Reviewed September 28, 2015 via mobile

I was only one day in Ometepe and wanted to see the San Ramon waterfall so I was looking for a place close by. And it was. I could walk from the place to the waterfall. The property itself it ok. I had a private room with private bathroom. The room was clean just a bug problem. A lot of antz and spiders and I know you find that in these environments but they also came in under the door because the door didn't reach the ground. I don't know why they did that. Also I think the room need some more details to feel good in a room. Just 2 beds and that's it. The room was spacious enough to put a cabin or nightstand with a small lamp or something. It looked poor. It was only for 2 nights so that's ok but if I was staying there a bit longer I would like something to put my clothes in. Also the shower was one of these suicide showers. So dangerous...There was also a lack of communication because the breakfast was included but the girl that was present in the morning didn't know anything about it and wasn't really friendly. Also if you leave check the bill. She was charging me 30 dollar more. Over all an ok for this place.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed May 18, 2015

Wow, add a pool and this place would be perfect! We've stayed at a few other places on the Maderas side of the island over the past few years, and just stumbled into a reservation here this year. The cabinas are spacious, rustic, basic, clean, and some have a/c. The front view is picturesque with the multicolored hammocks and sturdy rocking chairs out on the front porches. The restaurant seemed to be open enough all day, entertaining the kids' desire to constantly order a watermelon smoothie. Food was good overall, and the price was right. If this place had a pool, you could stay all week. As it is, it's a great landing pad for 2-3 days while you take advantage of the tours and activities. My husband climbed Maderas with super guide Anuar, who speaks good English, and I enjoyed several rides in the truck from Osvaldo shuttling the kids and me around. Everyone was pleasant and helpful, and the property is well kept. One of the bonus features is that there's a little shopping mart basically at the entrance of the property, maybe a 1 minute walk from my cabina, where you could buy anything from shoes and clothes to milk boxes and ear ache medicine. That's convenient! Look into the Merida area of the island beforehand if you don't know what to expect, especially traveling with little kids--not a lot of things within walking distance! However we did arrange all sorts of things from the hotel itself, including kayaking, horse back riding, volcano climbs, rides, etc. The place is right across the road from the lakefront, so it's easy to walk across to see the water, too.

Room Tip: Wifi was not available in the rooms, but it was available in the common area/ restaurant.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank julielizabeth
Reviewed April 8, 2015

I stayed at Rancho Merida while travelling alone around Nicaragua and had arranged my stay via an agent. The first positive was that I got picked up from the ferry by Oswaldo who is extremely helpful and friendly. He told me that the Rancho is a family business which is another plus if you care about being ecofriendly and helping out local communities. I had a few sightseeing trips arranged for the day but Oswaldo told me we were in no rush, to take my time and that we have all day - quite unusual with standard tour operators and I was very pleased to hear that as I could fully enjoy my experience in each place! Since I was travelling on my own and was keen to meet some people I asked him if there are places to go out near the hotel and he offered to take me out and introduce me to his friends! Once we got back to the Rancho he introduced me to a lovely guy, all 3 of us went out and I had a brilliant time.
The next day I had a pre arranged horse riding trip to San Ramon waterfall and my guide was a nice lady who also said we can take our time, stay on the beach on the way back, enjoy the waterfall and generally do whatever I wanted. People in Ometepe are really chilled, they are never in a rush and it's the perfect place to relax if you're coming from a crazy place like London!
When I got back Oswaldo came up to me, offered a range of activities, told me if I need anything to let him know and he would be happy to accompany me the entire time! I opted in for a nap (as I was tired from the night before and after the hike to the waterfall) and in the evening we went out again and I had a brilliant time.
The next morning Oswaldo took me to take the ferry back to San Jorge. I have to say throughout my entire stay I felt really cared for, Oswaldo spoke to me all the time making sure that I was OK and that I had everything I needed. I spent 2 weeks travelling in Nicaragua but none of the other places I stayed in provided such excellent service! I had an amazing time and am already planning to go back! Rancho Merida gets a 5* review from me and I will be telling all my friends about it.
Thanks Oswaldo!