“AWFUL!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Golden House Hostal
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“AWFUL!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

The only reason we stayed at this hostel was because it was affiliated with the tour package that we purchased in Cuzco for Machu Picchu. I should have walked right out and stayed somewhere else. It rains a lot in Aguas Calientes in March, yes, but that doesn't mean that everything in the room should be wet. Climbing into bed was uncomfortable, like putting on clothes that didn't dry completely in the dryer. When I woke up the next day, I had little bug bites on my hands --I highly suspect there were bed bugs. I hung my cotton sweater up on a hook and the next day it was still wet. The showers had NO hot water despite advertising 24 hour hot water on the sign outside the hostel. The bathroom wasn't even fully enclosed with a window, there was a large gap at the top that allowed bugs into our bathroom. I understand that you get what you pay for at a hostel, but this place wouldn't be worth 5 bucks. There are many hostels that are much closer to the main square of the town, closer to the bus stop, the bank, and many of the restaurants.

The WORST part was the staff downstairs --the younger guy that ran the desk seemed completely apathetic. He tried to charge me double the soles for a bottle of water until I found the price on the display case and corrected him. There were a lot of teenagers running around that seemed to be friends of the staff, making noise late into the night. One of them seemed like he was drunk. The people in charge were hardly ever at the front desk --when we checked out in the morning, the front door was wide open, the light was off, and nobody was there. We literally just threw our key onto the desk and left. Very unprofessional, and believe me, I'm in my early 20's, I have a very relaxed view of what "professional" means. I would never stay there again, and I would never recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: DON'T stay here.