All reviews lake skadar the main road top floor apartment internet taxi pools
Reviewed August 9, 2016

We were impressed by the reasonable price of this property and the location within Becici, close to Budva, so those were two of the main reasons we booked it. The apartment is tricky to find if you rely on Google Maps as it will send you to the nearby Ivanova building which is totally unrelated and the map system accessible via the HomeAway app is rubbish frankly. The building is opposite the Becici Spa Hotel and the entrance is about 50m down the hill from that, with the reception accessed through a little door in the car park beneath the pool, which it should be clearer about in the booking details and on the app. Nonetheless after some issues finding the place we were pleased enough with the apartment itself. It is modest but perfectly well equipped, with good aircon, a decent kitchen, a nice balcony and a decent pool. The staff there were friendly and helpful as well. Downsides would be the very small shower and the length of the bunk beds in the second room which our 13 year old only just fit in, so bear that in mind. She's 5ft 5 though so perhaps she is just too tall these days. The apartment is a short downhill walk to the beach and a horrendous uphill slog back but that's the area frankly as it is really hilly. Budva is a short drive or taxi journey away but too far too walk really unless you don't mind a long hot walk. Overall we were very happy with the apartment and feel it is good value for money. We would recommend to others as long as you are not looking for a particularly polished place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2016

We stayed here recently in a privately owned apartment. We arrived early and the owners representative was not present to greet us. Our phone didn't work and one of the Becici Sunset staff members could see we were in difficulties and let us use his phone to make contact with the person meeting us. He hadn't needed to get involved as we we not staying in a company apartment, but he was very helpful.
The high level of service they provide their own guests was further extended to us during the course of our stay to obtain internet connection.
On the last day we had to vacate our apartment at 11 am, and the manager of Becici Sunset very helpfully let us use one of the company apartments to have a shower, as our flight was not until the evening. We were very impressed by the facilities in their apartment , and also by the fantastic view from the lounge window.
Thanks Nebojsa Orlic and your team.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2015

I spend 5 days with my family in Budva, and we was looking for non-expencive place to be, with swimming pool for kids, and possibility to explore surrounded places. Sunset apartments are in few buildings, and most of them are sold to private owners, who are renting them when not using through central agency. So you could expect to get little bit 'personal touch' from owner regarding interior and equipment. unfortunately our apartment was very poor equipped, fork and dishes was insufficient, and maintenance of apartments was not enough good. But it was fairly clean, and kids enjoyed in the pool.

Room Tip: ask for apartment with wiev, could be remarcable
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2015

We happened to stay there without prior booking and got an apartment that would normally cost 150 eur, and paid 80 for 3 bedrooms + big lounge and kitchen with private bathroom and 2 balconies .... amazing view and even after we moved in a 80 eur apartment for 2 couples it was also amazing. Air conditioning, all supplies needed for making tea, coffee, cooking in general and microwave oven. It is a very good deal.

Room Tip: the higher the floor - the better want silence? avoid rooms facing the pools (there are 2 swimming pools)
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2015

Becici is situated in the middle of the coast of Montenegro, with walking distance to Sveti Stefan and Budva. I find the spot perfect, because it's not in the middle of the "hot pot" of Budva with the overcrowded beaches and traffic, it's more airy and with a great view of the coastline. And you still have the sense of going into a village community when you walk up the hill to Ivanovici, where the site of Becici Sunset is, even though unfortunately more buildings for tourist activities are popping up.

I love having the sea in front of the building and the mountains behind, it gives several opportunities for both hiking and sea activities right near. As a devoted hiker, I have explored the mountains of Montenegro for several years, and I never finish. You can just hike anywhere, with stunning views and wonderful villages almost untouched by time and tourists. The trails are very well marked.

You will have the mountains almost to yourself, and the few people you meet will be so nice and hospitable. Even local people living in remote villages and don't understand English, may offer you coffee and a "chat" with the advanced and enthusiastic use of body language.

Everything is close, also the charming town of Kotor. I love to hike from behind the city walls in Kotor and all the way up to the top of Lovcen, Jezerski vrh, 1652 meters above sea level. If that hike is to tough on you, you can walk ca half way and end up in Krstac for a cold beer, and then hitchhike or take a taxi down to Kotor again. If you don't want to walk all the way up to Jezerski, you can also drive there by car, via Cetinje or Kotor.

At the coastline there are of course several opportunities for beach life and activities. Depending on what you like, you can choose between beaches with disco music, bars and full service, and more remote and silent beaches with less people. I find the first category quite annoying, and go to the more silent beaches. The sea is similar to Cote D'azur, but the area is of course not as posh as the French coastline.

Montenegro is a little less developed than Croatia, but also - because of that - more genuine, with rich and poor side by side. And as a Scandinavian, I am happy not hearing Swedish and Norwegian on every corner, as we do in Croatia (although that is a beautiful country, too).

Going up to Durmitor for rafting (also fine to do with kids and grandmothers, as we have done) or just to explore the National park, is worth the drive, and I will recommend a sleepover there, because or else the time will be too short (takes at least 4,5 hours and you should stop sometimes on the road). You should also be aware the although it has improved, the traffic is quite wild, and the local drivers seem fearless.

I have during my several times in Montenegro never seen an accident or been involved in one, but I know that the traffic behaviour is a problem in Montenegro. Fortunately there is now a lot of police on the roads, so the country is really trying to deal with the traffic culture. Just drive patiently, use the mirrors and be aware of the blind spot for motorbikes and let cars pass you, and you will fell ok. When I drive there, I am always defensive. Still, it's easy to drive over the speed limits, and the police has stopped me a few times, but they are kind and helpful.

I have never seen any crime being done in any part of the country, never felt unsafe, never lost a single coin in my room (and the staff has the key to it), I have only experienced nice and helpful locals and honest staff. I do not understand the one review here pointing out security as a problem in the apartments. The site is safe and clean, with no traffic and no noise from the traffic, even if the main road along the Adriatic coast is going through Becici.

When friends asks me if they should try to go to Montenegro, I tell them that if they just go for the beach life, shopping and cheap drinks, I will recommend them to go somewhere "easier", like charter destinations as Bulgaria, Spain or Greece. If they on the other hand go to explore nature, people, genuine Balkan daily life and historically exciting places, in connection with beach life and relaxing, they should definitely come.

SOME TIPS AND HINTS

For food:
Jadran – nice staff, good pizza and seafood - and taste their muckalica! At the seaside/near the harbour on the way to Old Town Budva

Kangaroo – cheap and good food. At the Kangaroo Hotel inside "new" Budva

Blanche – Przno

Parma Grill – Budva

Zeleni Gai – Budva

Splendid Hotel – Becici. - Great buffet for families, and more exclusive restaurants as well

Beer in the evening:
Casper in old Budva (Stari Grad). Good music, nice atmosphere.

Avoid the bars along the promenade on the way to Budva, they are noisy and "wannabe-cool" turning out rather pathetic.

SPA:
Splendid hotel (down by the main road), or Sparesort Becici, right across the street and a few meters up the road from Becici Sunset)

TAXI:
Avoid Budva Taxi, the others are ok.

LAKE:
Skadar Lake is about 1 hour by car from Becici, and worth a visit. You will be offered a boat trip on the lake, which is very nice.

SILENT BEACHES:
Drobni Pjesak. Pass Sveti Stefan, look for sign Drobni Pjesak
Crvena Glavica (Also pass Sveti Stefan)
Zansiece – ask Jovan or Nebosja for directions

Other beaches:
Kamenovo (walking distance)
Jaz (pass Budva).
Przno (walking distance after Kamenovo)
Sveti Stefan (public beach-part)
Becici beach straight in front of the apartment is «OK» but can be crowdy and noisy during high season. Not my favuorite place for relaxing. A lot of water sports offers, which is fine.
Avoid the beaches in Budva!

RAFTING
Rafting in Scepan Polje or Zabljak in Durmitor is fantastic. Family friendly, cheap, safe and fun. Jovo and Nebosja will help you with booking of activity and accommodation (you will need one night away in beautiful scenery). I really advise you to book through the staff at Becici Sunset, because then you get better quality for the money then you will get from the offers along the beach and streets in Budva. If you don't have your own car, Jovo and Nebosja will also help you to get safe transport, car with a driver to go all the way with you. My daughter and her friends did that, because they were to young to drive by themselves.

LOCAL BOAT TRIP:
Luka can pick you up in Becici and offers different trips/panorama tours. He is very nice and speaks good English. Swimming from the boat etc. Recommended!
Luka tel. +382 69248989

If Luka isn't around, there are several other "Taxi boats" that offers Panorama tours etc. you can find them in the harbour of Budva, or just ask the staff of Becici Sunset to order one and come down to the beach to pick you up.

If you are keen on tasting the flavour of Albania, the city Skhoder is just 2 hours away from Becici. Drive early in the morning, remember to bring passport, a smile and some patience for the border control. Skhodar is charming and fine, and something totally different.

I have tried to visit the capital Podgorica a couple of times, but it's a boring city, almost doesn't feel like a city at all. I wouldn't spent time there in my holiday. I am also not keen on visiting the monastery of Ostrog again, not because it is something wrong with it - it is really stunning - but the road up to it is scary and terrible. I would definitely not go there with kids in my car.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family