See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 17, 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE. For a start there is no view, let alone a “golden” one. It is very noisy, with the staff seeming to believe that 6 am is the ideal time to start moving furniture around. The friend I was travelling with received some toilet paper for his room at the 4th time of asking. The rooms are very basic to say the least.

We dealt mainly with two staff members who we inevitably came to refer to a Pot-belly and Manuel. Pot-belly's job seems to consist largely of staring at people as they eat, and trying to sell them trips to elephant rides, Sigirya rock, spice gardens, etc. He would often rush out into the lane to accost random passing tourists with the same offers. Manuel seems to be a more general waiter/cleaner/dogsbody. He will deliver your breakfasts items in random order over a period of about 10 minutes. Sometimes he doesn't have to be asked to take the toast back and actually toast it. He can usually remember which table has ordered what.

On the 3rd day we asked for our rooms to be cleaned. The owner/manager then claimed that he'd planned to get it done that day all along. Of course we had to leave our room keys there that day. The key to my room was missing when I got back that night. After making various phone calls one of the staff told me that Manual was meant to have left it in the lock. Shock horror! If so, anyone could have been in my room that day and I had no idea what I might find behind the door. After I started talking about kicking the door in and/or phoning the police, they made a few more calls and it transpired that Pot-belly had taken the key home with him.

They were all grovellingly apologetic the next day, but that just added to the impression that the manager has no concept of customer service, while the staff are untrained and know that indifferent performance carries no consequences. (During the key incident the owner's own wife said that he was a bad manager.

Please spend a bit more money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2014 via mobile

The room isn't spectacular but fairly priced at 1500rs. We did not go on tours or trips but just paid for our room and stayed. It was clean, wifi was fine for most of the time but dropped out occasionally as we were on the top floor, had a nice balcony, warm showers (not hot but the owner was honest about it being warm rather than hot) and when we asked for extra towels, sheets and loo roll it was grabbed for us straight away. Nice place overall.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2014

The Guest House people are really nice in the appearance,but they tried constantly to FOOL your money. Be careful! They will ask you to participate in the activities for example for the Dambula Temple or to Sigriya and they will certainly overcharge you by 300%! I went to those activities with the them and the customer's will is NOT respected. They will bring you to other places you don't want even if you refuse and ask for extra money. Even if we complain to the manager, nothing is done since it's a family-run business. The Esala Perahera is FREE, but they will charge you 6000 rupees for A SEAT! Guest houses are about customers, but they look just for their MONEY! For a first-time traveler in Sri Lanka, it really leaves you a bad impression of the people even the people are truly fantastic in other places.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 4th floor, the highest floor, are full of ants in the bathroom. The roof is made of some metal materials. You can hear all the sounds, from the running of monkeys on the rooftop on the early morning to the hunting noise of crows each day, can hardly fall asleep in the night. Windows not covered with curtains, zero privacy, not recommanded.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ymadeafootprint
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stay there only because of the price that was 1500 RSD. The room was awful (you could feel wet everywhere). It was about 15 mins walking to the center and 20-25 to the Tooth Temple. Manager was okey, but it's all positivie about the place. Wi-Fi was working only in the reception area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2014

i stayed here for a total of about 2 weeks in April 2014. I travel on a budget so I'm not concerned with the frills, but I was stoked with the guys who worked there, and also the steady flow of great people who came through. It has a sweet atmosphere, not romantic, or pretentious, but proper down to earth Sri Lankan hondai vibe. Some great evening gatherings ensued. I feel it was a throwback to the days when the tourist trail was thinner and the wonder was greater. I remember it with fondness.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo