Open today: 5:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic
from US$599.00
from US$30.00
from US$446.67
10,454 results
All reviews tooth relic sri lanka holy place golden casket remove your shoes dress code entrance fee full moon worth a visit must visit place kandy lake temple ceremony queue offerings tourists worshippers
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

A slightly different type of temple being much more recent than others we have seen but still old in comparison to most other places in the western world.
The story of the Buddha through the pictures takes you from the tooth’s tart up to the present day and is incredible.
Go early in the day since you need to remove your shoes to enter and the ground can get very hot later in the day, so go early and ensure you wear appropriate clothing.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

The night time ceremony begins at 6:30pm and is an amazing time to visit.

I didnt go to the morning ceremony at 7am largely as I'm not an early bird but also because you cannot enter with shorts and shoulders must be covered. The days were very warm during our visit and we preferred to wait till the evening when the temperature was cooler.

This was a great choice. The sun is setting around this time and after you've been inside you can roam around the grounds in the dark with the other worshippers. It was very atmospheric and I wouldn't have wanted to miss it.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Just an hour here is enough there pretty cool temple and just nice to walk around. The temple has an interesting story of the tooth. The story was told pretty well through the tour. We got a tour guide on the inside of the entrance For the guys no shorts here our you will need to wear a wrap covering your legs.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Don't really know what I was expecting, but having seen many, many Temples etc., around the World - this has to be the biggest let down. Not visually stunning to me in any way - but then it's a place of worship for the Bhuddists, and the stories you hear about the actual tooth relic are a bit far fetched. Hey ho. Had a quick tour around - but then left. I actually found the city of Kandy a let down and could quite easily have missed it out and travelled to Sigiriya Rock Fort instead. Just my personal thoughts though. Found Kandy to be noisy, hot, bustling, dirty, crammed and a bit yuk for my liking. Nothing spectacular considering it is the 2nd largest city in the country, so was very pleased to get out to the retreat of my hotel at the Earl's Regency.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed April 3, 2018

While visiting this Temple women should wear long sarong and cover the upper body. No shoes while walking around. Take your time and inhale the history of this place.

Date of experience: February 2018