“overpriced, poor service but brilliant location.”

Polonnaruwa Resthouse
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Polonnaruwa
Dartmoor
“overpriced, poor service but brilliant location.”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is in dire need of some renovation. The rain came into the bathroom and part of the ceiling came with it. The bathroom was in a poor state of repair although there was a good working shower. The bed was comfortable but sheets were old and stained. The Hotel Manager did not seem to care and that mood permeated. The restaurant was nearly empty most of the time although the food we had was good. The position of this place is idyllic- such a shame that it has been left to rot!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jollyjillybaby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, UK
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed one night at this 'hotel' as my driver insisted I stay there (his friend was the manager) therefor I felt obliged. It was over priced and I had stayed in much better guest houses for a lot less during my stay in SL. Although the bedroom was surprisingly clean, especially after reading some reviews, the electric sockets looked like an accident waiting to happen! The room was huge and the view was lovely (room 2) but it didn't make up for paying $80. I only had toast for breakfast and even though I was the only guest about, it still took about 15mins for me to get a cup of tea and some toast. All in all, I would not reccomend this hotel/resthouse/dive to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank MissCAH

Travellers are raving about these Polonnaruwa hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The approach to this place is excellent and the first impression because of the stunning view can be overwhelming. Look around, look into the rooms and bathrooms, and you will move out of this place the next second. We only ate here, a big mistake. On our my arrival no body was there to receive, no one came to ask me what I wanted for over twenty minutes. I talked to the manager and a menu was presented. I ordered steamed rice and a curry. The rice and curry were brought from the buffet spread. Both were cold. Told the manager. They were taken away and brought back in two minutes in the same condition. The sitting area was absolutely crowded and the tables and chais were in very bad condition. No one cared for anything or any one. Just do not stay or eat here. In the name of the British Queen the management are trying to create a very good picture about this place. Please do not be lured into it. Save yourself from any harm coming to you and the young children.

Room Tip: Do not stay or eat here.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Pannalal
Crawley
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Massive room ( no.2) onto a huge shared veranda on the edge of a gorgeous lake with mystical mountain backdrop. Here's where the compliments end. Dirty room, still felt dirty after showering. Mouse droppings in the room, the guy on the desk even said keep the veranda doors closed as mice come in. Guess they warned us at least. Uncomfortable beds and just an all over feeling of dirt. Polonnaruwa is lovely though, rent bicycles and ride round the ruins. Nice. Also cycle down the side of the lake to see some local life, and the much smaller southern group of ruins. It only takes 10 mins from the hotel. The staff were a mixed bag, mostly rude and uncaring, except for one guy who I think was the manager, who was quite friendly. Bar man ignored me nicely for a good 10 minutes. The outside veranda is THE place for a beer at sunset in town. Wow. So mystical, and the colours reflecting off the lake...plus the hundreds of huge fruit bats gliding past in silhouettee off out for the night..just sublime. Shame they can't tart the hotel up a bit though, its desperately needed.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank jimbo1969crawley
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed only 2 nights and enjoyed the perfect views from the Hotels magnificent location by the lake and near ruins of former kingdom. The Rets House is built in 1954 for the Queen Elisabeth the 2nds visit, and it seems that the place has just been sparsom maintained as it was since then. Nothing seems to have been renewed or improved, which is nice in the sense that you feel the scent of the British Impire as if time stood still, but bad in the sense that many details in the Hotel is either not working or functining at a very low level. The staff seems to have an attitude as if the guests are in their way, and the whole thing could and should be so much better managed and staffed and maintained, when you consider the extreme wonder of the whole location by the Lake.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon1602
England
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We went here once for food. This is what happened:
- we were ignored for 15 minutes ignored our requests to see the menus
- despite asking twice for someone to take our order no one came for ages
- they tried to hassle us into choosing the lunch buffet saying specific orders would take 45 minutes. This was a white lie just to trick us into spending more money
- When the food arrived the rice was cold
- When we sent the rice back it took ten minutes for hot rice to return by which time everything else was cold
- They tried to trick another couple while we were sat there. We warned them of what they were doing
- When the change came one of notes was very badly torn. Unfortunately I did not notice this until we left.
- We have fed this back through our travel agent so that other tourists are warned off going to ths place

Room Tip: Avoid this place - find somewhere else to eat
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank HOP_8
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This was probably the first time we haven't checked trip advisor before falling for the "Queen stayed there" experience. BIG MISTAKE!!!! This was certainly the worst accommodation we have ever paid for! We travelled the world and seen the poor and the upmarket hotels,but this was the most disgusting,filthy place you could ever seen in your nightmares.

The first impression,albeit in the dark was great! Situated at one of the most beautiful spots with noticeable colonial style,our room 1(where the Queen stayed in 1954) was huge,truly royal size with massive windows and was supposed to be a great experience while on 3days tour of the island.
But.....
The walls were dump and moulded(white not green mould), french doors with holes that medium size lizzard can come in, never cleaned windows ,the bathroom could not have been cleaned for months,as there was a snale on one side and various colours of hair on the other side of the shower; the bath was so disguisting that it took two of us to wash our two yrs old daughter in order for her not to touch anything at all! The floor was so filthy that after initial observation I asked my husband and daughter to keep their flip flops on!!!

The worst was yet to come,as you can keep your shoes on and get somehow washed while avoiding touching anything.... Forget about the earlier review about uncomfortable bed(which is very true), the sheets were so dirty and with hair(again!!!) on the bed sheets,cover(and under the cover), that at that point I lost it! I felt violated,this was way too much to handle with a toddler with you who is touching all the lovely but disguistingly filthy furniture!

When I called the manager,his assistant and two other porters came(I must have sound scary on the phone?) and said they will change the sheets. Were they not supposed to change sheets after every hotel guest in the first place? They came with neatly folded sheets and duly changed it. Although it equally was not white(but very grey) as Vanish would make it,I saw it was the best they could do....

Bathroom was cleaned again with the system like in army camps=what's wet is clean....

There are only two explanations- they never heard of cleaning products(since I work for one of the largest cleaning product manufacturers,I might just as well send them a goodie bag!) or they cleaners do not get the concept of clean.

The manager came later to tell us some buls**** about sheets being brought from another hotel... But then he happily continued to drink his beer with his friend on veranda.

Food was awful,cold and staff uninviting,so I personally stuck to a toast(cold by the time they brought it to the table).

It is such a shame that such a fab location and attraction of Queen staying there is ruined by the worst management!

Btw the last review of the "hotelier" must have been written in return for money, as this place is a real dump. Even our driver said that(local Sri Lankan),but we were lured by the location and the Queen.

Please do not go,stay in the tent and wash in the lake,at least you would not pay $100 for a room you want to burn!

• Stayed December 2011