“Splendid Isolation”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Tangalle
Vancouver, Canada
“Splendid Isolation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Staying at Amanwella is pure theatre. It begins with the arrival. Your vehicle will navigate down a dirt road for 400 metres until it suddenly stops in a dramatic sleek modernist forecourt amongst mature palm trees. From this point on every turn provides a unique dramatic vista, usually uninterrupted by other guests. I travelled alone which is also unique at Amanwella. That being said, I never felt "out of place" because you do not come here to socialize, in fact all of the guest kept to themselves. Everyone respected everyone else's privacy to the n'th degree. It was quite liberating not having to engage in small talk when encountering another guest along a pathway or on the beach. For all I know the place could have been rife with pop stars and celebrities but no one seemed to notice nor care. We were all too busy savouring our splendid isolation. After my first day I found myself wandering as if in a dream, taking in the serene ocean views from my terrace, floating in my private plunge pool off of my bedroom and daydreaming in a perfectly located lounger beside the main infinity pool. After a while I realized that I had not spoken, other than the basic pleasantries to the wait staff, for 3 days! At this point I briefly woke from this dream to pay attention to the details. The resort is very well maintained (my private pool was cleaned 3 times during my stay) and the room was immaculate. Take a few minutes to pay attention to the lighting system in your room, it is comprehensive to say the least but with magnificent results. There is no TV or radio and I cannot speak of wifi as I did not travel with a laptop nor smart phone. The menu in the restaurant changes daily and there is great variety (I recommend the steamed mahi mahi in banana leaf and the Australian rack of lamb). There have been comments on this forum regarding mosquitos - I noticed only ONE. That being said, your room is furnished with multiple weapons against these pests if needed. Bathroom amenties are no longer packaged as a "take away" but are supplied in stylish metal containers for shampoo, bath gel, lotion and mosquito repellent. It is possible to leave this "dreamscape" to visit interesting local villages, temples and such (as an aside, I rather enjoyed how Aman blended the local fishing community with the resort vis a vis a simple access road to the beach) In the end, I was wrested from this luxurious life. After a personal send off from Pietro, the General Manager, the resort's SUV carefully transported me down the single-lane dirt road and back to reality.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank PAGVancouver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

great Capacity, great beach, leckerse food! The owners care really for all needs of the tourist, also excursions and is always very helpful. Knows everything and everyone... I'm coming again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ulrikameyn
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Amanwella boasts one of the most stunning beaches in the world, and I would definitely have given it 4 stars if it were not for one flaw: Unfortunately a portion of the beach is marred by the fishing boats moored there and the fisherman milling around. This takes away some of the privacy of the Ocean-view suites, so be sure to ask for one of the rooms higher up, for an uninterrupted view of the beach and sea.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were not greeted with a welcome drink but with a rather less practical 'traditional Sri Lankan greeting' with betal leaves. The service was slightly slow throughout our stay, and the private plunge pool was a cold in comparison to the beautiful infinity hotel pool.

The meals, which are served on the terrace with glorious views of the ocean, are tasty and healthy, but the portions are slightly small. There is no breakfast buffet, but has to be ordered a la carte and is usually included in the room price (check with the hotel when booking).

Spa treatments are done in one of 3 suites, and couples massages are available. The female masseuse was excellent, while the male masseuse was average.

All in all it is a lovely property, very serene and secluded (apart from the fisherman problem mentioned before) with very impressive rooms and facilities. It is a little far away from Colombo, although the travelling time has been cut down considerably due to the newly opened southern highway to Galle (it took us about 3 hrs to get to Tangalle from Colombo). Once the Hambantota airport is built it will be much more easily reached by tourists.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I visited the Amanwella hotel in Tangalle for three days in January 2012. It was one of the most amazing vacations we have had and the hotel is absolutely five star!!!!! The food, service and accommodation and cleanliness was out of this world! We would recommend everyone to go and have a vacation of a lifetime at this wonderful resort. They even have the private beach where they absolutely spoilt us by serving ice-cream, bringing cold towels and ice-water on a frequent basis. The manager of the hotel has a dog named Nero - he is a great guest relations officer!!! He came and greeted us when we check in and then accompanied us to our suite and he sometimes jumps into our private swimming pool for a quick swim :) The staff were most helpful and even remembered my parents, brother and his wife and children by their names. On our way back to Colombo, we visited the Amangalle hotel where my brother got married three years ago and where we got engaged some time back and Olivia the manager of the hotel was soooooo hospitable to us - this is what keeps us entire family going back to their resorts over and over again. Great hospitality!

Room Tip: In this resort they are all suites with private swimming pools.
2 Thank Ruvani D
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is a stunning place at the end of a non-descript unsealed road. Just when you thought you were going the wrong way, you will come across a deep red driveway and you will realise that you have arrived in heaven! The view is fantastic, the pool is absolutely spectacular- the second best plunge pool I have seen (after Marina Bay Sands in Singapore!) and the food is fab. Nice little shop if you want that something special (and don't care about the price!!!).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
milano
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

If you plan to go on vacation to Amanwella Hotel in Tangalle, it means that you have the budget to afford it and you deserve perfection.
We vited the place beginning of January 2 times just to have a drink at the bar, and one time for dinner. So we do not judge the hotel.
What we got was, one of the most amazing views, a fantastic dramatic architecture inspired by the genius of Bawa in its special tropical modernist style.
Very nice waiters, but the service was much too long, we had to ask the bill for about half an hour, they could not provide a mosquito repellent (we where literally attacked, mosquitos are democratic and don't care about the place).
The list of wine was poor (the italian wine was of a rather low quality, we are italian and we know), the menu was lacking in fish, and what we got was really so so.
We had much better food on the simple shacks on the beach, with all sort of fishes, including lobsters.
You may run into a pop star or an hollywood actress, if you care about it. We don't.
My advice if you are in the area is to go there to have a drink for sunset. Enjoy the view, and go elsewhere for dinner.

Not very expensive.

2 Thank bracbull
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

An extremely well run group of 28 gorgeous suites overlooking a fabulous golden, private beach. Amanwella stands out for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere and immaculate attention to detail. Swimming in the sea or the affinity pool, food and drink when you want it, no fuss just a luxurious break.

Room Tip: Ocean suites have a direct view of the bay, but the views are good further up too.