“Excellent beach holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Tangalle
Sydney
“Excellent beach holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

The perfect place to kick back and relax for a few days. Amanwella is a superb beach resort, set on as fine a stretch of sand as you'll find anywhere. The staff are great, very friendly and will do anything to make sure you have a relaxing time. Rooms are big, well designed and have the 'quality' feel you'd expect at this price range. Lovely pool, amazing coconut grove, all complemented by the stylish design of the hotel itself.

We enjoyed that this resort had personality, from the villagers setting off in their fishing boats, to Nero the dog and the references to 'your Amanwella family'; a lot of effort is made to make you feel at home.

We were not blown away by the spa, and if there was a slight (and this is very, very slight) drawback, the food menu was a bit limited and you might find yourself running out of options after a few days. This is a very small gripe, however, and in no way detracted from our time spent in this excellent hotel

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We did the combo trip which combined the 2 Aman resorts in Sri Lanka. First stop was Amanwella and it was a great start. We felt like living at home. No need to identify ourselves or sign any checks after meals. The staff knew exactly who we were and of course addressed us by name. The service was exemplary. Totally pampered from the restaurant to the beach.

The rooms were nice with a nice beach view. It was, however, not sitting on the beach though. We had to walk a few minutes to the private beach.

Design of the entrance was dramatic. The minimalistic building set on the red soil made wonderful photo opportunities.

I'm not too sure about the review saying this is the most stunning beaches in the world. The beach itself was truly average for me. Maldives, for one, far surpasses it. I wasn't bothered by the fisherman boats though. The resort actually engaged the local community and allowed them to use it for fishing. This should be encouraged!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Singap0reTraveller
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Staying at Amanwella is pure theatre. It begins with the arrival. Your vehicle will navigate down a dirt road for 400 metres until it suddenly stops in a dramatic sleek modernist forecourt amongst mature palm trees. From this point on every turn provides a unique dramatic vista, usually uninterrupted by other guests. I travelled alone which is also unique at Amanwella. That being said, I never felt "out of place" because you do not come here to socialize, in fact all of the guest kept to themselves. Everyone respected everyone else's privacy to the n'th degree. It was quite liberating not having to engage in small talk when encountering another guest along a pathway or on the beach. For all I know the place could have been rife with pop stars and celebrities but no one seemed to notice nor care. We were all too busy savouring our splendid isolation. After my first day I found myself wandering as if in a dream, taking in the serene ocean views from my terrace, floating in my private plunge pool off of my bedroom and daydreaming in a perfectly located lounger beside the main infinity pool. After a while I realized that I had not spoken, other than the basic pleasantries to the wait staff, for 3 days! At this point I briefly woke from this dream to pay attention to the details. The resort is very well maintained (my private pool was cleaned 3 times during my stay) and the room was immaculate. Take a few minutes to pay attention to the lighting system in your room, it is comprehensive to say the least but with magnificent results. There is no TV or radio and I cannot speak of wifi as I did not travel with a laptop nor smart phone. The menu in the restaurant changes daily and there is great variety (I recommend the steamed mahi mahi in banana leaf and the Australian rack of lamb). There have been comments on this forum regarding mosquitos - I noticed only ONE. That being said, your room is furnished with multiple weapons against these pests if needed. Bathroom amenties are no longer packaged as a "take away" but are supplied in stylish metal containers for shampoo, bath gel, lotion and mosquito repellent. It is possible to leave this "dreamscape" to visit interesting local villages, temples and such (as an aside, I rather enjoyed how Aman blended the local fishing community with the resort vis a vis a simple access road to the beach) In the end, I was wrested from this luxurious life. After a personal send off from Pietro, the General Manager, the resort's SUV carefully transported me down the single-lane dirt road and back to reality.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank PAGVancouver
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

great Capacity, great beach, leckerse food! The owners care really for all needs of the tourist, also excursions and is always very helpful. Knows everything and everyone... I'm coming again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ulrikameyn
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Amanwella boasts one of the most stunning beaches in the world, and I would definitely have given it 4 stars if it were not for one flaw: Unfortunately a portion of the beach is marred by the fishing boats moored there and the fisherman milling around. This takes away some of the privacy of the Ocean-view suites, so be sure to ask for one of the rooms higher up, for an uninterrupted view of the beach and sea.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were not greeted with a welcome drink but with a rather less practical 'traditional Sri Lankan greeting' with betal leaves. The service was slightly slow throughout our stay, and the private plunge pool was a cold in comparison to the beautiful infinity hotel pool.

The meals, which are served on the terrace with glorious views of the ocean, are tasty and healthy, but the portions are slightly small. There is no breakfast buffet, but has to be ordered a la carte and is usually included in the room price (check with the hotel when booking).

Spa treatments are done in one of 3 suites, and couples massages are available. The female masseuse was excellent, while the male masseuse was average.

All in all it is a lovely property, very serene and secluded (apart from the fisherman problem mentioned before) with very impressive rooms and facilities. It is a little far away from Colombo, although the travelling time has been cut down considerably due to the newly opened southern highway to Galle (it took us about 3 hrs to get to Tangalle from Colombo). Once the Hambantota airport is built it will be much more easily reached by tourists.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I visited the Amanwella hotel in Tangalle for three days in January 2012. It was one of the most amazing vacations we have had and the hotel is absolutely five star!!!!! The food, service and accommodation and cleanliness was out of this world! We would recommend everyone to go and have a vacation of a lifetime at this wonderful resort. They even have the private beach where they absolutely spoilt us by serving ice-cream, bringing cold towels and ice-water on a frequent basis. The manager of the hotel has a dog named Nero - he is a great guest relations officer!!! He came and greeted us when we check in and then accompanied us to our suite and he sometimes jumps into our private swimming pool for a quick swim :) The staff were most helpful and even remembered my parents, brother and his wife and children by their names. On our way back to Colombo, we visited the Amangalle hotel where my brother got married three years ago and where we got engaged some time back and Olivia the manager of the hotel was soooooo hospitable to us - this is what keeps us entire family going back to their resorts over and over again. Great hospitality!

Room Tip: In this resort they are all suites with private swimming pools.