“Pink House was great!”
Review of Koko Resort

Koko Resort
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Isla Colon
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed in the Pink House (about 200 yards from the main complex) It was isolated from the rest of the resort as far as distance but not in accommodation. I read a previous review below that seems to have very negative things to say about Jack, which in the short time we were there seemed very untrue to me. Koko resort seems to be part of the neighborhood Jack had fun joking with the kids around the Pink House when we checked in and seemed to really enjoy the local youth. I also saw that someone thought the neighborhood was unsafe which I believe is totally unfounded and an extreme rush to judgement. We felt very at ease with being in the midst of a neighborhood and the locals would always greet you with a Buena or Hola and a smile. We were only able to have breakfast once with Jack and it was outstanding, and I personally really enjoyed his sense of humor! After missing breakfast two days in a row Jack took it upon himself to come check on us in the Pink House to make sure everything was okay which we really appreciated. I felt totally safe in Bocas and very comfortable at KoKo. We did not get to stay at one of the main cabins but highly enjoyed the Pink House with it's great view, space, and very cozy patio! We loved it! Thanks again to Jack and Leigh!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Koko Resort

Reviewed 2 April 2013

My family (wife and 3 teenagers) have stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and intimate B&Bs in Europe. We always find ourselves enjoying and remembering the local establishments over the bigger resorts. While I can understand why KoKo may not be for some people, all I can say is that we thoroughly loved the experience and it will be one of those places that we reminisce about years from now.

Take the time to read through the reviews and then you can determine if this place is for you. The following are my random comments

- Location - As stated in multiple reviews, you are embedded in a local neighborhood. To be completely honest, I was a little worried that I may have messed up the family vacation when the taxi dropped us off and pointed us down a path full of local kids. However, it doesn’t take long before you see past the comparison to the States and begin to revel in the environment. It was refreshing to see kids playing pickup soccer games that didn’t involve parent coaches.

- Cabins – Our cabin was clean and we loved it. You are not there for granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. Throwing food scraps out the kitchen window for the fish is priceless.

- Safety – I never encountered one person or scenario that put me on edge. The coolest part of living just outside of the tourist zone is that no one ever tries to solicit you.

- Noise – In the mornings, there was a rooster that woke me up before I was ready. However, it is those experiences that I like to joke about at breakfast.

- Guests – We were fortunate enough to meet other friendly guests. I suspect that most people visiting are of a friendly nature.

- Jack and Lee – They could not have been better hosts. Jack is well connected and that really enhanced our stay. He can have a taxi waiting to take you to a far off beach in a matter of minutes. He knows locals with boats who will pick you up at the dock after breakfast and treat you to a fabulous day. We went snorkeling and visited some remote pristine beaches. In addition, my boat captain had a cooler of cold beers which was great after a snorkel.

- Trash – You will encounter some unsightly trash. While unfortunate, it can be a nice reminder that you are not at an artificial resort.

The bottom line is that my 3 teenage children want to come back for a longer visit and that is saying a lot for a place with no cable television.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Chris D
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Starfish cabin and absolutely loved every second. We arrived at like 8:20 in the morning and Jack and Lee gave us a great breakfast and we checked right into our cabin. Everyone in the neighborhood is very friendly and nice and Jack and Lee seem very well respected and known by everyone in the town. We loved the camaraderie of all the other guests and Jacks sense of humor is wonderful! They open their home to you and can arrange anything that you want to do. They will get you cabs, make dinner reservations anything that you want and all their recommendations were A1 and they had the best boat guides. This is an extremely unique property with extremely unique owners- we loved our little cabin, our hammock, our entire stay was made more than extraordinary because of Jack and Lees Hospitality - we cannot thank them enough and we feel very very fortunate to have met them! I would be very happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We loved our stay at the Koko resort. We stayed in the Orchid cabin with unobstructed views of the water which offered us spectacular sunset views. Jack and Lee were great. They call you cabs, arrange excursions, provide beach towels and do whatever they can to make sure your needs are met. The cabins themselves are very clean with lots of hot water and good water pressure. My only gripe would be a barking dog a few houses away that woke us up one morning, but we solved the problem by closing the windows and running and fan/air-conditioning. Overall an enjoyable stay and would be happy to return in the future.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We loved our stay at Koko resort. We stayed in Gecko cabin. It was incredibably relaxing staying in a cabin over the water complete with hammock and and when you lie in bed with the upstairs balcony door open, you can see the sea. Previous reviewers have had mixed views around staying in the middle of the local community, but we thought that was one of the best things about it. The locals were friendly and we always felt safe. One of the nice things about Koko resort is that the owners have a genuine commitment to helping their neighbours in and they have been able to provide support to local people in exchange for local people doing various things to help Koko resort (decorating, baking bread etc) so it is a very mutually beneficial relationship and they appear to be held in high regard in the neighbourhood. It is a pretty easy short walk into town or taxi ride or cycle. Hiring bikes is quite a good way to get round the island. The resort has two adorable and very friendly cats and as we were missing our cats at home, it was nice to spend time with them and lie in the hammock with a book and a cat nestled into your lap. Jack and Lee are friendly and laid back with a dry sense of humour and can help you out with anything that you need.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Koko is exactly as described, a laid back vibe in a town of backpackers and seasoned travellers, the cabanas are clean, air conditioned and bug free. The hosts, Jack and Lee are like distant uncle and aunt, welcoming you to their warm home. Jack hold court every morning at breakfast, waxing info on local trips and knowhow, invaluable tips on restaurants and beaches.
There is no noise issue, but only detractor is the washed up debris, but this is panama
and we know youre in the right place, when you walk downtown, and you notice , you just walk just a little bit slower

Room Tip: all the over the water cabanas are excellent,the walk into town is not far at all, the grocery store...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband recently.

I feel I should preface this review with a bit about me in order to try and pre-empt the Koko Resort standard resort response of "if you are expecting a Four Seasons Resort do not come here".

I have travelled extensively around the world and have experienced a lot of Asia, Africa and America. I generally opt for fairly budget hotels (not hostels) but on special occasions have also had experiences of staying in some very upmarket places and so I think that I probably have a fair idea of what to expect for my money.

We paid around 100 dollars a night which is expensive for Panama (for example, we paid 120 to stay at Hard Rock in Panama City, one of the best in the city, which was incredible) and so we were expecting decent service at the very least. The rooms were never cleaned and I was quite shocked by this as firstly, they were not very clean to begin with and secondly, even in the most budget hotel I have stayed at in the likes of Cambodia, I always experienced daily room service.

I found the hotel owners, Jack and Lee quite abrupt at times. Although the breakfast was good, there was a couple staying around the same time as us who opted to skip breakfast a couple of times for whatever reason and when they came for breakfast the following day, were told off like school children and made to feel very small.

The location of the hotel isn't great. I am perfectly amenable to being around the locals and have even participated in homestays in South East Asia and so generally feel that this furthers your experience of a place, however I didn't feel very safe in the neighbourhood and found the local children who were often hanging around on a night time quite intimidating. The place was also generally dirty (to be fair, Bocas is a bit of a dump anyway in my view).

We were extremely disappointed by this experience and would strongly advise guests to check out the other hotels closer to Bocas Town for the same price. Hostels in the area were advertised at around 20 dollars a night and we genuinely wish that we had gone for this option.

Unfortunately it seems that the owners prefer to close their eyes to any negative review and opt for a grammatically poor standard response, as described above which I find very arrogant. In fact, I imagine I can probably write their response for them but I'd rather just forget about this unpleasant experience and move onto my next review.

• Stayed: January 2013
8  Thank Hels0912
bosstone, Owner at Koko Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2013

We close our eyes to nothing. A review like this hurts us deeply. Providing our guests with the best vacation possible is our passion and when someone speaks negatively about us it hurts us to the core. This is not some big business hotel, this is our families dream when we lived in the USA and we are very happy to be living that dream now. We do this to meet new people and enjoy the experiences that brings. The most unenjoyable part of this lifestyle is when we read a review like this. It just kills us when we try so hard to make every guest experience amazing.

Most of our guests love our location and love the local children. We have No crime in our area of the island and the area closer to town that you recomend always has issues because its a commercial district. We are a family district. We love this as do lots of our guests. From the comments it sounds like the reviewer was unhappy with Bocas completely and not just with us.

Jack has a different sense of humor and most people really like it. We are sorry if this guest took it wrongly or did not understand the jokes. We just try to have fun with our guests and enjoy the life we are living on this beautiful island and in our beautiful home that we open up and share with travelers from all over the world. Jack is not politically correct at times and enjoys the back and forth with our guests. Most people really love him for this and we are sorry these guests did not.

We have the standard response to other reviews because the last thing we want is for someone to come stay with us and be unhappy.

These bed and breakfasts are our life not just our business and we hope we can keep making a majority of our guests happy for years to come and show off the islands that we love to live in.