All reviews private pool golf cart punta lava red frog zip lining water taxi full kitchen luxury villa canopy tour washer and dryer la rosa jungle village playa tortuga panama city beach bar per day capuchin monkeys
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked this trip on a whim through Living Social. Was nervous about all the unknown in traveling to Panama but found out there was nothing to be worried about. Stayed in one of the villas. Very luxurious and high quality construction. Beaches are BEAUTIFUL. The further down the island you go, the more private the beach. We were there in slow season and often had one of the remote beaches to ourselves. Not sure why October is slow season as it was perfect weather. It is true that the food options aren't the greatest but that wasn't important to us as we just wanted some peace and quiet. The food we did eat at the restaurant was plenty good enough for our tastes. I would compare this place to what Hawaii must have been like before it was commercialized. I highly recommend renting the golf cart as I think it enhances the experience. You tend to do more when you can get around easily. The only downside of this experience was getting the vacation booked. It took me many emails and phone calls to get a response and to finally get things arranged. I spoke to one of the owners about this part of the experience because I think it is something they really need to improve. This place is too wonderful to allow poor reservation service to bring them down.

I'm offering some general notes about Panama City that would have helped me:

1. While Panama City is run down and filled with poor people, it is still safe. People tend to be poor because they don't want to work, which makes them less interested in material things and not necessarily interested in stealing or using violence to get things.

2. There are no street signs so you must use GPS to get around. We learned this the hard way and ended up having to have the police escort us to our first hotel which was in the mountains off of Panama City (not Red Frog Beach). The police were very friendly and helpful.

3. Car rental in Panama City is not standard to any place I've ever been, even though I used a national rental place (Hertz). They swipe your credit card and make you sign 3 blank receipts so they can fill it in if you damage your vehicle or incur other charges. This made me very nervous but I hadn't arranged for any other transport so I felt stuck. I don't know that I would rent again as you really are exposing yourself to possible unwarranted charges. Side note, there are no signs at Albrook telling you where to return your rental car. We ended up just parking in a side parking lot and putting the keys in their drop box. This worked out ok but felt very risky.

3. The flight from Panama City to Bocas is expensive. Additionally, you have to pay for a shuttle between the international airport and the local airport . Next time I would fly into San Juan Costa Rica and drive or bus the 5 hours to Bocas. Much simpler and cheaper. Also, the flight to Bocas allows only 30lbs of luggage. This is very limiting so I will avoid this in the future.

4. Panama City is beautiful and a trip to old town is a must. We only had a few hours on our way out of town and we were lucky enough to find a cab driver that had some time on his hands to give us the royal tour. The people of Panama are wonderful!

All in all it was wonderful and I can't wait to go back someday.

Room Tip: All the Villas are beautiful. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tawnysue
Reviewed November 2, 2012

VIsited Red Frog Beach on my two day trip to Bocas del Toro. Lunch at their restaurant was very good and then spent the rest of the day on the beach. Saw some “Red Frogs” and had some drinks at the Punta Lava Beach Bar. The water is so clear and the color is amazing.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Turner S
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I've been on this island for 5 days and I can describe my experience as magic, is like being in a castle in the middle of the jungle. The villas are beautiful, comfortable and luxury. They have an amazing landscaping, each villa has a private pool and they are all different, beautiful view.

They have a restaurant name Kayukos that provides a very good attention and delicius Panamenian food, fish and sea food. Red Frog Beach is in my opinion the best beach in Bocas Del Toro, There are more beaches on the island but unfortunately the community does not clean them. I totally recommend visiting this place and enjoying all the activities that they offer. We had a fantastic experience there.

Room Tip: All Villas have beautiful views
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jari G
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We visited Red Frog Beach in October and had a wonderful experience. We traveled as 2 couples so it was wonderful to rent a villa with two master bedroom suites with private baths. The quality of construction was very good and the furnishings were of high quality. The view off the balcony was breathtaking and a joy to wake up to. I especially enjoy the morning walk on the beautiful soft sand beach, as well as the afternoon swim in the warm, clear water.

We saw sloths, capuchin monkeys, many red frogs, and enjoyed the jungle surroundings with all the comforts of home in the beautiful villas.

The staff was friendly and helpful, and the restaurants, while not plentiful at this point, served tasty food at reasonable prices.

I would recommend this resort to anyone, and I am confident it will be an even greater experience next year when the villas are completed and the roads are paved. I strongly believe this resort will rival and exceed any beach resort in the world!

Room Tip: Seemed like most villas had beautiful views. #13 was great!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan R
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We did not stay at the resort but made a day visit to the beach, which was a disappointment. The beach is full of all kind of garbage (PET bottles, cans, plastic bags, used dipers etc.) flushed up by the sea. They charge $3/person to enter the island, the resort, chair renters, restaurants and bars all make benefits from the visitors but nobody seems to care about to keep it clean.

Room Tip: If you look for a clean beach, do not go to this island
Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Cosmopolitan_888
Raven55, Guest Relations Manager at Red Frog Beach Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Day visitors are always welcome to come visit and enjoy Red Frog Beach.

We regularly clean our beaches and sometimes there is a storm that can bring in debris. Keep in mind that Red Frog Beach is a long beach and this review does not reveal if any of this trash was noticed at our restaurant, boardwalk peninsula or in the general vicinity of the resort. Most all of the time, our portion of Red Frog Beach is clean and our guests appreciate the serene and wild beauty!

Keep in mind that the villa accommodations are located above Turtle Beach which is more private than Red Frog Beach. Guests enjoy being able to access Red Frog Beach where they will see other day visitors from Bocas Town coming to ride the zipline, eat at Punta Lava or just relax on one of Panama's best beaches - but villa guests also have access to other beaches where they will find nearly no one there - nice!