“Not happy with my choice”
Review of Hotel Aura

Hotel Aura
Ranked #457 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Toronto, Canada
“Not happy with my choice”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I made a big mistake by staying in Paharganj - it's basically a slum with hotels in it. The noise and pollution are worse here than elsewhere in Delhi, and it wasn't worth being central.

My room and bed were actually quite decent (3.5-star equivalent, and the only thing keeping this from being my first 1-star review), but the bathroom was disgusting, worse than any youth hostel I've stayed at. The hot water was lukewarm at best, and we had to wait 5 minutes for that. The complimentary breakfast was shoddy, and not fresh.

The staff usually made a good effort, but didn't understand travellers' needs. For example, when we asked for a rickshaw to take us to the train station, the doorman summoned one, argued with him, then sent him away because he was trying to get us a better price. We explained we were willing to pay 100 rupees ($2) to get a ride without waiting - and he refused! Typical, and frustrating.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blurgeshmurg
sales_aurahotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Aura, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thanks for sharing your comments at tripadvisor. We can understand your concern about the location that you have chosen for your stay in Delhi. As Paharganj is located near Delhi Railway Station and Centre City Cannaught Place, tourists prefer to stay here as they can visit the city in a easy way. Because of central it is busy in day, but in night the location is calm and there is no noise.
If is our pleasure to hear that you loved your room and bed on the other hand it is very sad for us that you are not happy from the bathroom. We will investigate about this problem so that other Guest will not face this problem. But we regret that our breakfast in not fresh. Kindly go through the reviews posted by other guest and they are happy. Our buffet breakfast is a combination of Indian and Continental which includes North Indian dishes , milk, cereals, corn flakes, Fruit, Juice, eggs , bread etc. Which we believe is good breakfast.
We agree about your point of Guard Help and may be he didn’t understand your need. But let me explain you about it. We found the Guests are cheated or ripped off by charging extra fare by tuk-tuk drivers. That’s why we have informed our Guard to help our Guest for the price when they would like to have a ride in a tuk-tuk. The guard of our hotel might didn’t understand that you are in hurry and would like to pay extra amount for your drop off.
Your points are noted and we assure you this problem will not take place on you next visit. Hope to see you again.
Thanks & regards,
Team Hotel Aura

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Hotel Aura is right on a strip of hotels and is value for money, if you are looking for clean accommodation then this is the place. The service is also very good but the breakfast leaves a lot be desired. The hotel exchange rate was the best around. Don't ask them to book your taxis as they will find the nearest driver and make a small cut for themselves, Try and find one, also put a padlock on your bags this is nothing to do with the hotel, it's when you step out in the surrounding areas an innocent bump might leave you with you passports and money missing. Overall good hotel for what you pay and good base to travel from ti the Golden triangle. The best thing was that the let us use their facilities for local calls and there computer fir information which is very kind and made the experience better. Ps I may have left a jacket there if you find it can you let me know,

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Ishtraveller
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in Hotel Aura for 3 nights.

It was our first trip to India and needless to say the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel was terrifying!

The hotel is in a good location 5 mins walk from the train station and a short rickshaw ride from Connaught place (beware of the scammers, all of which seem to have a girlfriend in Sheffield or Scotland).

For £30 per night, the hotel was good value and a welcome respite from the often overwhelming streets of Delhi. The room was a good size and the bathroom was nice and modern, although the hot water was temperamental and often non existent. The only downside was the noise - the street itself is quite noisy (despite not even being in a room facing the road) and as we had the room at the top of the stairs on the first floor, the reception was also noisy at night.

The food (dinner and breakfast) was really good, decent value, and in a nice restaurant on the 4th floor. Beware that they might overcharge you - they did this one night to us, so be careful to check the bill. Staff were friendly and polite.

Overall, a few niggles, but couldn't expect a whole lot better for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sjenkins1987
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This place was cheap, and in an ok location which is in its favour, though you'll still need to get a taxi to Connaught. I was provided with a windowless room which I complained about and was told in no uncertain terms by the hotel staff was all I was going to get.

The room was basic, but ok, I booked through a corporate travel agent who had a room inventory (presumably provided by the hotel) that promised all kinds of fanciful things including fax machines in every room. You do not get a fax machine, I didn't even have a window. You can make local calls but not international ones so it isn't really suitable for business travellers who dont 'want to use their mobiles.

It looks nicer from the website than it is, fixtures and fittings are wearing, random electrical wires hang down from poorly installed lights in the bathroom and so forth.

Hot water is intermittent at best. They seem to turn it on until about mid morning and then you're out of luck.

Service is indifferent. Attempting to get an iron from the staff was a total fiasco that took over an hour one night and involved me having to stand over them at the front desk after I got fed up of them telling me "five minutes". When the iron did arrive it smeared black gunk over my shirts. Not good enough when you're tired after a very long day at work and just want to get your head down.

At one point the handle to my bathroom door fell off, rendering it unopenable. Fortunately I was on the outside, eventually they had to shoulder it open.

There is an average restaurant on the roof.

The Do Not Disturb sign has little meaning to them and they will bang on your door repeatedly and then phone you to complain, if you have it out when they want to get in. I found this very frustrating when I was trying to get some sleep in the afternoon when I had just touched down after a 9 hour flight.

In the end I thought I should get a "Please disturb me" sign as they would have more luck doing that.

I would not stay here again as a business traveller, if you're a tourist and want somewhere ok and inexpensive, and arent expecting much in the way of service or hot water, then it would probably be ok.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank ruggedtoast
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This hotel is Good but can do better. Service was Perfect but need changes in Management.
Value of Money is quite good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank silvia s
Taichung, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This is the second times I stayed this hotel. I can't believe all the people remember me and still give us the best services. The location of hotel for traveling or business is very convenient!! All the people are very nice and friendly. Thanks for your services. Love you guys!!!!

Wish can visit India soon, and will choose the same "Top" star hotel. :)

Happy New Year!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Tanyachang
Birmingham uk
Reviewed 21 January 2012

For Delhi this is a clean and tidy hotel although we felt it was some what over priced. We cant really say much bad about the hotel, although don't use there tour services as it will cost yo 5 times what it should and its not a good experience. The drivers they use are under paid so they will take you to restaurants that they earn commission on. These places are back street tourist restaurants, they serve terrible food, so if you go to them then prepare for Delhi belly! The English spoken drivers speak very little English and they will also take you to as many temples, forts and tourist shops which again get them commission for taking you there. Also the emporiums and shops are over priced too. In my opinion you are best to find a good driver on the street as they are less likely to rip you off.

Room Tip: Use a popular travel book for recomendation
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KevinBirminghamuk
sales_aurahotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Aura, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for your post at TripAdvisor, your valuable comments helps us to improve and encourage our staff to provide the best service. It’s a lovely comment for us that you found our hotel neat and clean, but we shocked to know that you are unhappy from our travel service. You had booked your trip with us during you first visit and you found it best price as it includes the airport arrival and departure transfer with many services. We have provided you the 3 Star hotels in each city and your trip includes a traditional Rajasthani Dinner and elephant Safari. We have also collected the feedback after finishing your trip and you were happy. We have noted your point of Driver interest and we investigate it deeply with the driver to take a strong action. We regards all reviews in good light, but we regret about your point of charges, as you are a repeat guest to us and no one can charge extra from a repeat Guest.
We request you to please check all the tour details and we apologies for the driver behavior.

Thanks & regards,