“Some things need attending to; we'd prefer elsewhere until addressed”
Review of Piccadily Hotel

Piccadily Hotel
Ranked #390 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 11 September 2017

We stayed here twice, as part of a tour with "TripADeal" and "Special Holidays"; once in August and once in September.

The first thing you encounter are two security guards as the property is fenced and gated.

The driveway is impressive and the gardens look good. The hotel looks impressive.

Security will then check your bags and may stop you from bringing food and drink into the hotel. Travel companions had their alcohol removed, which they weren't happy about. (You can buy alcohol in the hotel though)

The lobby is large and nicely decorated. The floors are polished. There is a large glass feature over the check in desk, that is covered in dust. The hotel would do better to remove that feature, and create a better impression (free of all that dust) ... or have to get professionals to clean it regularly.

Check in seems a little slow but is fairly straight forward. There was only one staff member on the desk by 10pm.

Wifi is free in the hotel and needs a login. Worked fine for checking emails and sending photos. But internet access ended maybe 2.5 hours before we were due to check out, on the second stay and we were told it was just the servers needing a reboot (which we were told would take 15 minutes :S ).

---

First stay was a 9th floor, executive level room. Large room, good sized bed, a couch and modern furnishings. The shower was separate from the bath. Plenty of lighting. Poolside view.
We could only get luke warm shower water.
Strong, foul smell that starts around 9pm. Towels were damp and discoloured. Unpleasant feel to the room and the bathroom. Air conditioning was okay for 23C.

Second stay was on level 5, large room, good sized bed and modern furnishings. Plenty of lighting. Construction site view.
We could get hot shower water.
Stagnant smell detected in the evening but nowhere near as bad as the first room. Air conditioning did not work at first, increasing the temperature past 25.5C when set to 23C. We called for someone to fix it and it took maybe an hour and a half to get back to an acceptable temperature. (Last evening, it was well under 20C; the controller does not control the air conditioning; it can't even turn it off)

---

Lobby staff would not change Australian money to Indian money. They wouldn't change 1000 INR bills to smaller (or do any changing whatsoever). They told a different guest that the cashier was away from the desk, as the reason they couldn't change money.

Check out for my second stay took over 45 minutes. There were 4 people at the desk, with only 2 attending to guests (the others standing around). There were maybe 3 guests and I was asked to have a seat while they finalised my bill. 45 minutes later, they still didn't bring it over so I had to chase them for it. The first time they showed it to me, it included 2 extra charges for the restaurant, when all meals were included (an extra $40 AUD or 2000 INR or so). When queried, the concierge _did_ quickly check that all meals were included and removed the extra charges.

Also, that day we ordered drinks and a club sandwich in the lobby for lunch. Drinks were served in a timely manner, but 45 minutes later and there was no club sandwich. I went to cancel the sandwich and was told the bill would be brought over to me. Two minutes later, the sandwich now arrives. The sandwich did taste good and came with fries and tomato sauce. 1 coffee, 1 masala tea + 1 club sandwich = about 1000 INR

The buffet restaurant presents very nicely and is highly recommended. All meals have several Indian curries and one or two breads. Western dishes are also provided and some Asian ones too. Breakfast includes cereals, pastries, sausages and the chefs are ready to cook plain and mixed omelettes. The dessert offering at dinner was very impressive. Service is mixed. Sometimes waiters came to ask what we wanted to drink during a meal; other meals waiters didn't. Sometimes there was the right cutlery and crockery on the table; sometimes some was missing.

Our tour group strayed from recommendations on cautious eating in India (re: preventing Delhi belly). We ended up drinking milky drinks, eating meats, someone drank water that was poured for them AND none of us got Delhi belly during the tour so, I think that speaks pretty well to the food hygiene of the restaurant.

There is also a bar in the lobby and a restaurant you can pay for separately though we didn't dine at these.

---

It was more noticeable at this hotel that everybody wanted a tip. Even security guards scanning my bag wanted to keep chatting to me. One asked another guest where he was from, what did the money look like from there, could the guard see the money ... could the guard have some of the money ... :S

---

We didn't try the pool but it looked clean and well presented. It is large and some other guests enjoyed it, though on the whole, it was empty most times we passed by.

---

The hotel has a spa. Although pedicures etc are advertised, we were only able to get massages done. 1 leg massage + 1 full body massage ~ 4800 INR. The setting though is very nice, the massages were very good and if you have to wait for a late transfer to the airport, I can recommend the massages there.

---

This hotel is not in the city centre. In the evenings, it takes over 2 hours to get there due to the horrendous traffic jams in the area. Other times it can be quick enough to get to and from. (Day time to the airport was under 45 minutes)

---

If you are touring or planning to do things in the city, I would recommend staying somewhere in the heart of New Delhi.

Room Tip: If it smells too foul, ask for another room; if the air conditioner isn't working, call for the...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank a t
Write a ReviewReviews (1,267)

Reviewed 27 August 2017

Welcome on entry, security staff, just lovely, really helpful. Reception staff lovely. Rooms, a little dated, but clean. Good size room, and a lovely comfy bed.
Restaurant lovely, breakfast and dinner, great selection and staff could not be more helpful.
Would recommend, for price, great. A great first night experience in India.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jnpage05
Piccadily2015, Front Office Manager at Piccadily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time and sharing your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor.

I'd like to thank you for your kind words of appreciation about our services and facilities. We strive hard to deliver an exceptional experience to all our guests and your review is the perfect validation of the same. The entire team is delighted to receive your feedback on service and grateful to you for acknowledging their efforts.

Please be assured that we are in a continuous process of refurbishment and maintenance of our hotel.

I hope you will continue to patronize us and recommend us to your family and friends. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We moved from another hotel to the Piccadilly purely for location reasons. We met the sales woman who told us a ridiculous rate for a deluxe suite (biggest room they have) after I looked online it was on their website for half the price. In the end got it for the cheaper rate as we were going to stay for 2.5 weeks.
Took over an hour to check in and gave us the wrong room. After getting in the right room we noticed there was no internet. Was told the internet was out that day and would be back later. That evening still not back. After complaining the next day to management they told us that it had been out for 7 days! The sales woman knew we needed internet and happily told us yes it's working fine. So we were repeatedly lied to.

The hotel doesn't give free water everyday. The hotel also doesn't allow any food or drink in from outside, Bags are checked on entry.

General service isn't good. For a hotel that considers itself 5* it doesn't tick most of the boxes. The waiters at breakfast are not attentive, wasn't offered tea or coffee and when we did order it took over 25 min. The evening meal in the 29 restaurant was better service but found a hair in my biryani, the waiter wasn't apologetic in the least and just took the biryani and bought me out the wrong one. Attention to detail is missing.

About the rooms. We had the Deluxe Suite. The rooms are clean but dated. The fridge and the hairdryer wasn't working. They don't have a turn down service.

Transport
The location is good and in the hustle and bustle and the metro station is just outside. Plenty of rickshaws around.
I would be careful ordering a taxi from the concierge as he will charge extra as he takes commission from the taxi man. (Taxi man told us)

In the end we decided to leave and go back to the original hotel we booked which was 10times better.

2  Thank BV_07
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

My experience started right from the moment i entered the lobby, they are very rigid with baseless requirements and the room service was terrible.
I was first given a room on the 10th floor n when i tried contacting the reception there was no response that lead me to walk down to speak to them everytime i needed something. Whoever intried to contact from the landline was not responding
The rooms stink of that dingy smell.
Also the room quality is of a 2 star hotel.
This definitely was my first and last stay at this hotel as that was my worst nightmare

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Piccadily2015, Front Office Manager at Piccadily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Please allow us to express our regrets for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at The Piccadily, New Delhi. Your review has definitely left us very concerned.

Please do send me your contact details at jayesh.borkar@piccadilyhotels.com for me to personally get in touch with you and have the matter addressed. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

excellent place to stay and dine.we had lunch on 19 august and breakfast on 20 august and the captain Deepak Yadav along with Nikhil Dharvesh Kundan Ranjeet Naveen were excellent in their services and mannerisms.i m a regular visitor here and would love to keep coming .the pool is good.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Piccadily2015, Front Office Manager at Piccadily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Dear Guest,

I hope you will continue to patronize us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Visited about a week back, the reception staff was co operative and did his best to check us in but another traveler pestering him to attend a phone call to get something done against me hotel policy. The staff handled in a good way. Upgraded my room for the wait. I feel some more training shall assist in dealing with these situations.

The restaurant needs some good training waiters as one person was not willing to serve something on the table for some while for others was available. Anyway my table was later attended by another staff once I showed him my displeasure.( I don't want to name the staff).

Place is well connected by metro and has a good market adjoining which gives taste if Delhi and shopping.

A good place for a stay over but I feel more improvement can be done.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Piccadily2015, Front Office Manager at Piccadily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time and sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor highlighting the areas that made your stay enjoyable as well as the areas that need improvement.

Unfortunately we could not live up to your expectations in certain areas. Your feedbacks have been shared with the concerned departments and please be rest assured that we have already started working on it.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience faced. I have taken your feedback with utmost seriousness with the concerned Head of Department for counseling and training of our employees.

It is from feedback like yours that we learn and grow.

Your feedback is important to us, and we would surely work on all the areas which you have mentioned.

We assure you a better experience on your next visit and look forward to welcome you back to the Hotel.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 14 August 2017

The entrance and lobby was looking good to offer a pleasant stay, but all ended as I checked in. One after another.

As I walked through the corridor, saw broken fire extinguisher and untidy joineries.

The first look of the room as I entered was nice as the housekeeping kept it neat and clean. But again started encountering some very bad experiences..

No Wifi for two days!!!

First and most important was that I was left without a Wifi for two days, a nightmare as I was completely isolated with no contacts by any means. Whenever I contacted the support team, first they would reply its working and I need to restart my laptop and mobile phone. Then when I say I have done all these, they confirm with IT Dept and say the servers are down, will be up in next two hours. Unfortunately, it was not rectified till the moment I checked out after two nights. I was depending my roaming data to a certain limit to overcome the situation.

Secondly of all, I was surfing the TV channels to get some local news ( though I am not interested in entertainment shows in TV, I was looking to get the news, especially with no wifi) there were no regional packages subscribed making the stay even worst)

No local English daily delivered to the rooms

moving forward...

1. The towels in the washroom were not fresh enough, very old towels ( white towel had started getting yellowish) they were running past their life
2. Didn't get enough hot water for shower.
3. WC had neither hygiene spray nor a bidet. (when I contacted the reception to change the room for the above reason, to my surprise, they told all the rooms are with same features only). I requested a bucket and a mug to serve the purpose. the mug delivered was an antique one with broken handle!!!
4. WC had it cement fixing broken, shaking while using it.
5. Bathroom ceramic and steel taps were way old, I couldn't find any single piece of chrome fixtures with it original standard finish.
6. Bathtub water outlet cap had no chain puller that I had to remove it from the tub to ensure water flows out after shower.
7. No light dimmers were working, and some of the switches in the rooms also were faulty. Electrician was called to the room at late night who also had no option but to switch off that light from his control room.
8. Even the headboard leather was torn
9. Though not to mention as a serious issue, with all above quality I experienced, I want to add the room access system also faced problem. After a long working day, when coming to the room I find this trouble ( it gave problem often) I had to go down the floors to the lobby to have it replaced. No housekeeping or service team were available on the way. Intercom at lift lobby also was not working. ( later I got a complaint from one of my guest who came to meet me that they had to wait almost 15 minutes to connect to my room from the lobby because the phone at reception was busy and other phone at the lobby, right behind the reception counter, was not functioning.

Restaurant 29 was OK, though there were not enough selection of food compare to the charges.

But I must say some dishes including Mughalai style chicken and Amritsari fish fry etc. were outstanding.

Overall, I realized that I entered a wrong place and made my mind not to be here back again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business