“Just avoid please!!”
Review of Piccadily Hotel

Piccadily Hotel
Ranked #402 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 12 September 2017

No positives except for the location. Listing down all the reasons for my rating:

1: Room service: Had to call up thrice for extra sugar. When the person did come, he had a shaving kit and not sugar pouches asked for.
2: Waited 2 hours for Check in despite telling them in advance that I would be arriving a bit early. (Did not influence the low ratings though as it can happen)
3:Once you have had the 2 half liter bottles of mineral water, drink the so called RO water or pay INR 60 per bottle.
4: Entry of 2 male friends (and I am myself a male) at 11 am in the morning was done post taking their ID cards and entry by them. Had to walk to the reception to vouchsafe for them.
5: Called up room service for some drinks. When we asked for Black label, they offered Black dog :). While the menu had a lot of good choices, they did not had those brands.
6:Something interesting, they do not have water faucets in WC. While it is usual in US/ Europe, was a surprise in India. So if you are ok with only TP, you are good
7: Water from the shower (U stand in a bathtub) soaked the whole floor and the drainage being not too good, you walk in a puddle of water (Room on 06th floor)
8: For hand wash, they provide you with a Lux BEAUTY soap. Even my 3 year old knows that it is not to be used to wash our hands as it does not kills germs.
9: WIFI - Don't even try. 3 G is faster.
10: Limited choices in food too and the snacks we had (Like Masala Papad) was to die for..yes, You read it right..you should die rather than eat..
11: I have no problem with Security but I do have a problem when it is excessive. Asking me to take off my wrist watch while doing the security check actually reminded me of much stringent procedures at our airports.
12: No compliementary BF in my case so cannot comment on BF Buffet
13: Towels at the swimming pool were already used and wet. Recommend you take an early morning swim to get fresh towels
14. Wanted late check out and they charge INR 3000 for an hour. Why not book the whole room for a whole day at INR 5000??
15: Very well trained staff - They can recite fluently the mantra of this hotel - This is not as per our Policy & procedure. By the time you leave, you would have learned it too..
16: No mini bar
17: It is a mortal sin to ask for a refill of the tea supplies. Avoid.

Room Tip: Avoid the whole thing
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed 12 September 2017

its centrally located and thats such a relief. Everything is close by. The moment you enter the property, it seems dated - something from the 90s perhaps that has not been updated. The front office men are shoddily dressed and thats such a pity. But the female staff is quite dandy and bell boys and concierge pretty attentive - liked that part. they are keen to help and please. The room was good too. I had no complaints. The service was awesome and quick. I can surely return to this place. Commendable job on the service front. I would recommend this property to others.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Piccadily2015, Front Office Manager at Piccadily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time and sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor highlighting the areas that made your stay enjoyable as well as the areas that need improvement.

The experience at Piccadily is incomplete without our team who has been trained to provide friendly, attentive and prompt service and pay attention to the smallest details. The entire team is delighted to receive your feedback on service and grateful to you for acknowledging their efforts.

Let me assure you that we are in a continuous process of refurbishment and maintenance of our hotel.

Unfortunately we could not live up to your expectations in certain areas. Your feedback has been shared with the concerned department and please be rest assured that we have already started working on it.

It is from feedback like yours that we learn and grow.

I hope you will continue to patronize us and also recommend us to your friends and family. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Excellent hospitality given by Ms Asha @ front desk (Guest relation executive) and food quality is very good and good metro connectivity room service is also very fast will visit again for sure ............................

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2017

We stayed here twice, as part of a tour with "TripADeal" and "Special Holidays"; once in August and once in September.

The first thing you encounter are two security guards as the property is fenced and gated.

The driveway is impressive and the gardens look good. The hotel looks impressive.

Security will then check your bags and may stop you from bringing food and drink into the hotel. Travel companions had their alcohol removed, which they weren't happy about. (You can buy alcohol in the hotel though)

The lobby is large and nicely decorated. The floors are polished. There is a large glass feature over the check in desk, that is covered in dust. The hotel would do better to remove that feature, and create a better impression (free of all that dust) ... or have to get professionals to clean it regularly.

Check in seems a little slow but is fairly straight forward. There was only one staff member on the desk by 10pm.

Wifi is free in the hotel and needs a login. Worked fine for checking emails and sending photos. But internet access ended maybe 2.5 hours before we were due to check out, on the second stay and we were told it was just the servers needing a reboot (which we were told would take 15 minutes :S ).

---

First stay was a 9th floor, executive level room. Large room, good sized bed, a couch and modern furnishings. The shower was separate from the bath. Plenty of lighting. Poolside view.
We could only get luke warm shower water.
Strong, foul smell that starts around 9pm. Towels were damp and discoloured. Unpleasant feel to the room and the bathroom. Air conditioning was okay for 23C.

Second stay was on level 5, large room, good sized bed and modern furnishings. Plenty of lighting. Construction site view.
We could get hot shower water.
Stagnant smell detected in the evening but nowhere near as bad as the first room. Air conditioning did not work at first, increasing the temperature past 25.5C when set to 23C. We called for someone to fix it and it took maybe an hour and a half to get back to an acceptable temperature. (Last evening, it was well under 20C; the controller does not control the air conditioning; it can't even turn it off)

---

Lobby staff would not change Australian money to Indian money. They wouldn't change 1000 INR bills to smaller (or do any changing whatsoever). They told a different guest that the cashier was away from the desk, as the reason they couldn't change money.

Check out for my second stay took over 45 minutes. There were 4 people at the desk, with only 2 attending to guests (the others standing around). There were maybe 3 guests and I was asked to have a seat while they finalised my bill. 45 minutes later, they still didn't bring it over so I had to chase them for it. The first time they showed it to me, it included 2 extra charges for the restaurant, when all meals were included (an extra $40 AUD or 2000 INR or so). When queried, the concierge _did_ quickly check that all meals were included and removed the extra charges.

Also, that day we ordered drinks and a club sandwich in the lobby for lunch. Drinks were served in a timely manner, but 45 minutes later and there was no club sandwich. I went to cancel the sandwich and was told the bill would be brought over to me. Two minutes later, the sandwich now arrives. The sandwich did taste good and came with fries and tomato sauce. 1 coffee, 1 masala tea + 1 club sandwich = about 1000 INR

The buffet restaurant presents very nicely and is highly recommended. All meals have several Indian curries and one or two breads. Western dishes are also provided and some Asian ones too. Breakfast includes cereals, pastries, sausages and the chefs are ready to cook plain and mixed omelettes. The dessert offering at dinner was very impressive. Service is mixed. Sometimes waiters came to ask what we wanted to drink during a meal; other meals waiters didn't. Sometimes there was the right cutlery and crockery on the table; sometimes some was missing.

Our tour group strayed from recommendations on cautious eating in India (re: preventing Delhi belly). We ended up drinking milky drinks, eating meats, someone drank water that was poured for them AND none of us got Delhi belly during the tour so, I think that speaks pretty well to the food hygiene of the restaurant.

There is also a bar in the lobby and a restaurant you can pay for separately though we didn't dine at these.

---

It was more noticeable at this hotel that everybody wanted a tip. Even security guards scanning my bag wanted to keep chatting to me. One asked another guest where he was from, what did the money look like from there, could the guard see the money ... could the guard have some of the money ... :S

---

We didn't try the pool but it looked clean and well presented. It is large and some other guests enjoyed it, though on the whole, it was empty most times we passed by.

---

The hotel has a spa. Although pedicures etc are advertised, we were only able to get massages done. 1 leg massage + 1 full body massage ~ 4800 INR. The setting though is very nice, the massages were very good and if you have to wait for a late transfer to the airport, I can recommend the massages there.

---

This hotel is not in the city centre. In the evenings, it takes over 2 hours to get there due to the horrendous traffic jams in the area. Other times it can be quick enough to get to and from. (Day time to the airport was under 45 minutes)

---

If you are touring or planning to do things in the city, I would recommend staying somewhere in the heart of New Delhi.

Room Tip: If it smells too foul, ask for another room; if the air conditioner isn't working, call for the...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank a t
Reviewed 27 August 2017

Welcome on entry, security staff, just lovely, really helpful. Reception staff lovely. Rooms, a little dated, but clean. Good size room, and a lovely comfy bed.
Restaurant lovely, breakfast and dinner, great selection and staff could not be more helpful.
Would recommend, for price, great. A great first night experience in India.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jnpage05
Piccadily2015, Front Office Manager at Piccadily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time and sharing your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor.

I'd like to thank you for your kind words of appreciation about our services and facilities. We strive hard to deliver an exceptional experience to all our guests and your review is the perfect validation of the same. The entire team is delighted to receive your feedback on service and grateful to you for acknowledging their efforts.

Please be assured that we are in a continuous process of refurbishment and maintenance of our hotel.

I hope you will continue to patronize us and recommend us to your family and friends. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We moved from another hotel to the Piccadilly purely for location reasons. We met the sales woman who told us a ridiculous rate for a deluxe suite (biggest room they have) after I looked online it was on their website for half the price. In the end got it for the cheaper rate as we were going to stay for 2.5 weeks.
Took over an hour to check in and gave us the wrong room. After getting in the right room we noticed there was no internet. Was told the internet was out that day and would be back later. That evening still not back. After complaining the next day to management they told us that it had been out for 7 days! The sales woman knew we needed internet and happily told us yes it's working fine. So we were repeatedly lied to.

The hotel doesn't give free water everyday. The hotel also doesn't allow any food or drink in from outside, Bags are checked on entry.

General service isn't good. For a hotel that considers itself 5* it doesn't tick most of the boxes. The waiters at breakfast are not attentive, wasn't offered tea or coffee and when we did order it took over 25 min. The evening meal in the 29 restaurant was better service but found a hair in my biryani, the waiter wasn't apologetic in the least and just took the biryani and bought me out the wrong one. Attention to detail is missing.

About the rooms. We had the Deluxe Suite. The rooms are clean but dated. The fridge and the hairdryer wasn't working. They don't have a turn down service.

Transport
The location is good and in the hustle and bustle and the metro station is just outside. Plenty of rickshaws around.
I would be careful ordering a taxi from the concierge as he will charge extra as he takes commission from the taxi man. (Taxi man told us)

In the end we decided to leave and go back to the original hotel we booked which was 10times better.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank BV_07
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

My experience started right from the moment i entered the lobby, they are very rigid with baseless requirements and the room service was terrible.
I was first given a room on the 10th floor n when i tried contacting the reception there was no response that lead me to walk down to speak to them everytime i needed something. Whoever intried to contact from the landline was not responding
The rooms stink of that dingy smell.
Also the room quality is of a 2 star hotel.
This definitely was my first and last stay at this hotel as that was my worst nightmare

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Piccadily2015, Front Office Manager at Piccadily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Please allow us to express our regrets for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at The Piccadily, New Delhi. Your review has definitely left us very concerned.

Please do send me your contact details at jayesh.borkar@piccadilyhotels.com for me to personally get in touch with you and have the matter addressed. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Warm Regards