“Good value, clean and spacious”

Red Maple Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 1,102 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We booked this B&B last minute, and were lucky to find it.
LOCATION It is located 5min from stores and shopping area. Also a quick tuk tuk ride to metro station AIIMS (yellow line). The first day we walked to the metro but there is not much to see on the way, so to save time we got a tuk tuk the next time.
SERVICE and FOOD: The owner was helpful with dinning recommendations, and for breakfast we had a choice of continental (incl eggs) or Indian. I would recommend letting them know if you plan to have breakfast early (we did at 6:30am) so they will be ready for you.
ROOM and CLEANLINESS: Everything is pretty new and bathroom was super clean. Bedroom had fan and AC, tv cable, coffee. Very spacious.

Room Tip: Room #1 is on the first floor in the dinning area, if you are looking for a quiet stay I would reco...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Red Maple Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 17 January 2012

After a long and sometimes exhausting journey through other areas of India, my family and I came to Delhi to stay at Red Maple. What a breath of fresh air!! I walked in the front door and thought, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh," as I gave a long, relaxed sigh and a smile spread over my weary face.

Red Maple was my favorite place that we stayed during our entire trip. Indeed, Red Maple is my favorite place I have stayed on ANY recent trip ANYWHERE, and I travel a lot. The building itself is lovely, but what really distinguishes Red Maple is its service.

To start with, let me comment a bit on the physical setting. Red Maple is tucked away in a residential neighborhood. The downside of this is that it can, indeed, be hard for taxi drivers to find the hotel. If you arrive in Delhi at night, I recommend contacting Red Maple and asking them to send a driver to get you at the airport (they can arrange this for a modest fee). That way, you are guaranteed to have a driver who can find the place when you first arrive. Once you are there, all the auto- and cycle-rickshaw drivers in the area seemed to know it. We did have a bit of confusion with one taxi driver, but we used a cell phone to call Red Maple and the person at the front desk explained how to get there. If you don't mind a 15-minute walk, you can also walk to and from the INA metro stop (if you have a good sense of direction, that is!).

I am a huge fan of Red Maple, and even I will admit that the location is a bit of a hassle. But the upsides of the location far outweigh the negatives for me. The surrounding neighborhood is very safe, peaceful, and pleasant -- even tranquil! This was the first place we stayed on our trip where I was not awakened by car horns and other noises all night long. In fact, a rare sound greeted us on our arrival to Red Maple: silence! That alone contributed greatly to the restfulness of the place. We later heard a few dogs, but for India the noise level in and around Red Maple is really very quiet. But at the same time, there are many pedestrians on the nearby streets and even some small businesses. I found the look and feel of the surrounding area very inviting. And the neighbors don't seem to mind having foreign tourists traipsing through their area. I am a young Caucasian woman, and I walked around the area near Red Maple quite extensively over the course of several days without experiencing any harassment (another rarity for India).

Inside Red Maple, the guesthouse appears to have been renovated recently. It has a sleek, modern vibe, while also managing to feel comfy and homey. The pictures already posted on this website are accurate representations of the interior. There is a small reception area and an area with seating for breakfast or other meals (which they can prepare upon request), and then there is a stairway leading to the guestrooms above. The rooms feature comfortable beds with crisp linens, flat-screen TVs, ample storage space, nice indirect lighting, space heaters (necessary in the winter), and SUPERB bathrooms. Red Maple definitely wins my "best bathroom in India" award. We stayed at a Taj hotel later in our trip, and the Red Maple bathroom was even better than that! Everything is completely modern, and the crowning jewel of the bathroom is the large, sparkling clean shower that delivers piping hot water with good water pressure. As most places in India, you have to remember to turn on your water heater some time before you start your shower, but if you do that, then it works beautifully.

In the morning, there is an amazing breakfast spread downstairs. Every day, Red Maple does several Indian dishes (very well, I might add). They also have toast, omelets made to order, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice, yogurt, and even cornflakes and milk. I put my faith in Red Maple and ate everything on offer there, including things I would never eat elsewhere in India (like fresh fruit juice, fresh cut up fruit, and chutneys that were clearly made with raw vegetables). The kitchen and serving area seemed extremely hygenic, and I did not suffer any tummy trouble as a result of my adventurous eating.

The amenities are wonderful, I was even more impressed with the service at Red Maple. The staff was always eager to help with our every request. They booked many taxis for us, recommended restaurants, and even received a package for us (we had bought a large item that was delivered in the evening, while we were out for dinner). They also allowed us to store several large suitcases while we went on a short jaunt away from Delhi for a few days, and when we mentioned that many of our clothes were dirty because we had been traveling for a long time, they let us use their washer and dryer to do our laundry (at no charge, I might add).

Red Maple is truly an oasis of calm and hospitality in Delhi, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. My only suggestion, which I also mentioned to the owner, is that it would be helpful if they could give the guests a map of the immediate area so it is easier to find your way back home again at the end of a day out on the town. But besides that, I really have no criticisms of Red Maple -- only enthusiastic praise! When you consider the very reasonable price, this is really an outstanding value. I will definitely be returning on my next trip to India!

a lovely small guesthouse. The building seems to be a large converted townhouse, which appears to have been recently renovated indoors. It is spotlessly clean and 100% modern.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others. If you have a lot of luggage or prefer more space, ask to reserve...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank merryleisure
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Great place to stay. The owner is present often and responsive, welcoming us via a phone call to our room once we arrived and visiting over first day's breakfast. He had also arranged for an airport pick-up that was seamless and included an offer from our driver to help us set up an Indian SIM for our mobile. We had a lovely room on the second floor that was very nicely decorated with a balcony where we could watch street life below and cricket in the nearby lot. The bed was comfortable and the hotel clean and tidy. The staff also arranged for drivers and guides seamlessly. Be prepared to pay the higher hotel booking rates if you go this route -- we did not mind paying extra for the convenience with in-town transfers since the hotel is a bit tucked away in a residential neighborhood in the up-and-coming South Extension. It is more of a small boutique-esque hotel than a traditional B&B.

Room Tip: We had a large, very nice room on the second floor with a balcony. Perhaps avoid the first floor roo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ValGalNYC
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Very clean B&B with lovely rooms. A few down sides: the taxi driver took ages to find the address - it is not signposted and is in a fairly dense area with small streets. Perhaps directions sent by the Red Maple at the time of booking would be useful? We were first given a room on the ground floor - opposite reception. We found it a bit noisy and so the next day asked to be moved. This happened and we spent our second night in a room on a higher floor that was much quieter. It also gave us the chance to see that both rooms were of an excellent quality and I can only assume all the rest are the same. Breakfast is good if you choose toast or omelette, but the hot food that is not cooked to order (baked beans, Indian breakfast) is not kept warm and so is not very appetising. Despite the "downsides" this was a good place to stay - plenty around it - and helpful staff. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: I would suggest not staying on the ground floor if possible as they open onto the reception and brea...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ros T
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Red Maple is excellent value for money. As others have noted, it is clean, comfortable with spacious rooms. The owner is friendly and helpful and I felt very looked after. At that part of my journey I was traveling alone as a female, so it was nice to stay in a friendly family place.

Although Red Maple is small, the meals I ate there were delicious!
My taxi had a bit of trouble finding it, but it is close enough to a main road and easy to orient yourself.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank emstar3
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Red Maple is a clean and neat property,but I would suggest that you get directions for the property as it is discrete and their are no bill boards.
The owners were themselves present to welcome us on arrival and we had a comfortable stay over the week end .
The rooms are aesthetically decorated and well maintained.
Breakfast is available and you have a choice of Indian and continental cuisine.
I will definitely recommend this to travellers from India and abroad and I will give top marks to the friendly staff for their extremely efficient service
Will definitely come back again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank arshadsiddiqui
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Welcoming and warm atmosphere, tastefully decorated rooms, modern amenities and a filling breakfast. This place is value for money. Located right next to South Extn Market. Lots of eateries nearby. Metro is a Rs 20 rickshaw ride away.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business