“A Home Away from Home”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #11 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Since 2009 I have been staying at The Imperial 10-12 nights each year. Its friendly staff, superb facilities and fine restaurants make my visits there eagerly anticipated and highly pleasurable. From the friendly greeting by the Front Desk and Concierge staffs to the final "goodbye" as I hop into my black and yellow taxi to the airport, everything is as perfect as a hotel can be. Prateek and Albert among the Concierge staff are amazing. In fact, I am perfectly happy to leave my SIM card with them so that it won't expire when I am away In India, if you don't use a local SIM in 30 days it expires. My customary room, 227, is always ready and welcoming. This time I realized how very comfortable the bed was having just arrived on the non-stop from Newark. The luxury toiletries are a pleasure. Breakfast in the 1911 Restaurant is a delight as Bopal runs the establishment with grace and charm. The freshly baked croissants are always delicious. My best discovery this trip was the newly refurbished "Daniell's Tavern," The Hotel's Indian eatery. The curries are excellent and can be spiced to your taste. Of course, the new spa provides great treatments. The swimming pool is incomparable! All of this is managed by Vijay Wanchoo, The Hotel's Executive Manager. His staff is always at your service with a friendly smile! One final note, do walk through the halls to see the collection of paintings, prints and sculpture that adorn the walls- all museum quality. I invite you to enjoy a stay at this wonderful "palace" of a hotel. It truly can become your home.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 February 2012

On arrival we were barely greeted by the man on reception who gave us no eye contact while he told us he had no record of our booking. When we showed him the confirmation receipt he grudgingly told us we could have the one room available. This room was on ground floor and overlooking the car park. We had specified top floor overlooking garden. I won't bore you with the details but we had about 2 hours of a one star experience trying to get the room we had booked in this five star property! Finally we were given the room we booked..we were told that it had been put aside for a VIP and that we were very lucky to get it!
Apart from this one individual we had a very pleasant stay. All other staff without exception were charming and helpful and the accommodation was superior. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone who wants old world luxury. The only reason I rated it as very good rather than excellent was purely due to the one horrible man on reception that day.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UmJoel
Reviewed 21 February 2012

what can you say about this hotel other than sublime. spice route restaurant.....wow.

Room Tip: theyre all good.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Hotel Imperial is the place of it's own kind.. A palace of ancient time now convertered into a great hotel with beutiful landscapes and amazing amazing food....located in heart of Delhi, near cannuaght place offers great options for memorable evening. Amazing food combination- multi cuizine restaurant had made my stay a most memorable stay at Delhi

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CAHARDIK
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I had stayed at the Imperial, New Delhi last year Sept.2011. and enjoyed my stay in the 'Eliza Suites' (reserved only for women travelers) and received such lovely attention on a very discreet scale. From the front door, desk reception, housekeeping, restaurants, bars, pool, business centre (would be nice for guests to have free internet access as most hotels in Europe now provide) and spa, the service was perfect. I had the pleasure of staying again in January and was similarly impressed.
The history of the Imperial is enough on its own, the galleries of beautiful etchings, paintings, prints and sculptures are examples of fine art. The collection of art, covering the British "occupation" of India from the early days of colonization, including the Sikh Wars and the Afghan Wars and 'The Mutiny'.
During the 'heady' days of partition, the Imperial was privy to talks between the major players from all sides, Gandhi,Nehru, Jinnah,Edwina and 'Dickie' Mountbatten, (read Indian Summer by Alex Von Tunzelmann, an excellent account of the end of the 'Empire', Independence and the carnage to follow.).
At least go and have a drink or afternoon tea in the annex bar and take a peek at these historical surrounds.
Best time to visit is in the warmer weather when you can really enjoy the gorgeous pool. The Spa is sublime and at the end of a long trip 'up country', the professional Beauty Salon staff will make you feel as if you have just had the best holiday ever!!

Room Tip: Both rooms I have stayed in have been equally aesthetic, toiletries in the suites more luxe. If you...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I recently happened to be in India (Mumbai while attending Nasscom) and New Delhi where I stayed in the Imperial Hotel. The staff gave us a warm welcome and put a red spot on our foreheads, a nice Indian welcome which is kind of an exotic experience for us people from Poland. My hotel room was not so big but really nicely decorated with fine style furniture-a magnificient reminescent of the colonial era (I love this style). They offer really nice Italian cosmetics in the bathroom.

The corridors are also beautiful with old pictures, mirrors, sculptures. The hotel has a nice business centre but-like anywhere in India- Internet is so expensive... I think when you pay 14.000 Rs a night the Internet should be included in price! Like it was noticed before they are building the underground just outside the hotel which can be really noisy and annoying at times. Pot-pourris in the hotel corners give out a very pleasant smell.

Breakfast is wonderful, however it is a little worse than in Westin, Mumbai (less variety of food). What surprised me is that Imperial offers Nescafe coffee in hotel rooms (its not the best coffe in my opinion, why cannot they have Illy for instance??)

I'm not going to qrite about spa and swimming pool facilities because I was out most of the day and they would have already closed them by the time I got back to the hotel room.

To sum it up it's a very very nice hotel for any purpose - biz trips, family holiday etc. Might stay there again. Service was ok for room hovewer I saw someone shouting at the bad organization of transfer to the airport.

Room Tip: If you are a woman ask for special rooms for ladies - they have more cosmetics there :)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Paulina W
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Glorious remnant of the Raj Era, magnificently maintained and constantly enhanced by an attentive owner family and first-rate management team, the Imperial is an institution nearly on a par with the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai. Occasionally things go wrong: noise can be distressingly prevalent due to the hard (often marble) floors acting as conductors. Breakfast is excellent, and available on the glorious terrace overlooking the hotel's gardens. One minor niggle: the hotel, like many such Indian luxury establishments, never knows when to stop charging the customer - e.g. providing breakfast in the room rate, but then charging the guest for the modest government taxes involved.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business