New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Grand New Delhi

The Grand New Delhi
Ranked #72 of 703 Hotels in New Delhi
USA
“All the right accoutrements but not running at full steam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

A colleague and I stayed at the Grand New Delhi due to flight schedules and needing a place to stay the night. Since it was a single night we decided to "splurge" and spend it in a 5 star hotel. The Grand New Delhi is visually a beautiful hotel -- a massive marble lobby, multiple restaurants, bars, and lots of staff to attend to your every need. I was particularly impressed with the Cascades Restaurant where my associate and I went to watch the first IPL Cricket playoff match. They had a big screen set up and appropriate IPL specials. The staff was quite good and helped us select some of the specials they had there (4 beers and 4 platters). The next morning the buffet there was also appropriately grand and had everything we could possibly want.

Several small things made the visit less than 5 stars (and before continuing these "nit picking" is only because clearly the hotel is attempting to be a luxury hotel). Upon arrival, the check-in process was rather fumbled by the staff. We had pre-booked through a travel website -- and even indicated our late arrival (9:30 p.m.). The staff member couldn't find my India visa and after (very slowly) paging through it I told him what page to find it on, but still not being able to find it I took it and opened it to the correct page. My colleague who was Nepalese was asked where his was (Nepalese don't need a visa). The other odd thing was he kept handing all the documents, paperwork to my colleague even though it was me who was handing everything to him (the clerk) including my credit card. Then in Cascades our beer and dishes were double billed. (Of course this can happen anywhere to anyone, but I just feel at such a place . . . . with a staff of many . . . that it shouldn't.) Then upon check-out when I marked that I'd not been pleased with the check-in process while we are waiting for our taxi outside the woman who'd just checked us out rushed out to query me about my rating. I found this mistimed, inappropriate and rather a rookie mistake that only compounded the earlier one.

So this review is NOT a review saying to avoid this hotel, just a small hiccup perhaps but I expected better (and have received better at the Leela just down the road).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Grand New Delhi, it was a pleasure having you with us.

We very much appreciate your kind feedback on the hotel and are pleased that you felt relaxed during your short stay except for three instances. At this point I wish to assure you that we at The Grand take utmost care to create best experience for our guest at every touch point including the check in & check out. However, in this case I sincerely apologize for not being able to live up to your expectations. We assure you to have taken note of your comments and ensure corrective measures.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have traveled to nearly 50 countries and staying in 100s of hotels. Of all of them, The Grand would be one of my two most favorite. The rooms were quiet and comfortable, the food was excellent, and the staff made me feel as if I was the only guest staying there.

The staff assisted me in making arrangements for a weekend excursion to Jaipur, Agra, and Mathura on one visit there and on the next one of the staff actually took it upon himself to secure a ticket for me to attend the Republic Day parade on very short notice. Other staff took the time to sit with me and explain how things worked on both of my visits there. They were so patient and genuinely interested in representing the hotel as ambassadors for Indian hospitality.

The property is within walking distance of three very nice shopping malls with many nice restaurants. It is the only hotel for which I wrote a personal letter of commendation to the General Manager after my stay so I cannot recommend it more highly.

Scott Gray
GS1 Global

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheGrand-Management, General Manager at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Mr.Gray,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave these wonderful comments on TripAdvisor.

It is always a real pleasure to read that our guests enjoyed the hotel and our services. It is our endeavor all the time to not only meet but also exceed expectations of our guests in the most personalised manner. Your special feedback regarding the the Front line team is very much appreciated and will be a great source of motivation for them. I will certainly not fail to compliment them for their excellent work.

We all look forward to welcoming you again at The Grand New Delhi soon!

Shrikant Wakharkar
Totnes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

I have stayed in many 5 star hotels througout India and the standard is high...not so for the grand..i was bitten several times in the bed and it was not mosquitoes.....i slept in the chair!...also as other reviewrs have said the a/c was not working properly.I complained in the morning but the response was" we will do something on your next visit"...i will NOT be returning!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mike c
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay at The Grand New Delhi.

At the outset, I am extremely concerned to take a note of your experience at our Hotel. I shall be eager to know some more details pertaining to your stay for us to thoroughly investigate the matter. At this juncture I can assure you that we at The Grand are committed to provide our guests, the best of hygiene, safety & cleanliness. It is extremely unusual to learn about something that has bitten you, which is not a mosquito. I can agree to the point of rise in mosquitoes in this part of the city & especially we being a hotel with lush green gardens spread over 10 acres of land have faced this problem over last few days but I can assure you for the strict measures taken like fogging twice a day, anti larvae treatments, mosquito repellant citronella sticks being placed in almost every part of the hotel, is our effort towards ensuring a mosquito free environment for you in the covered part of the hotel. Also, we maintain AC temperature between 21-23 degree celsius in our guest rooms, which can further be controlled by individual AC control units in the room and this has not been a complaint with our guests generally.

Please write to me at fom@thegrandnewdelhi.com with some more details on the issues faced for us to understand the root cause and work on it. I may also be reached at +91 9560284285.

I apologize for the experience faced by you & assure you that your feedback shall be looked into to ensure there is no reoccurrence of this issue.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My experiece at Grand was exceptional in tems of accommodation, food, service, facilities and the landscaped gardens and the spacious lobby. The place does live up to its name - Grand! Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Anil G
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Guest,

It was a real pleasure to welcome you to The Grand New Delhi and we are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us!

Thank you for these wonderful comments and compliments for our services and product. I am glad to receive the compliments on the grandeur of our hotel & public areas like lobby. The beautifully landscaping has been tastefully designed by Peridian Asia from Thailand & really is unmatched.

We trust that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to New Delhi in a not too distant future.

Sincerely yours,

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

My experience at the Grand has always been great. Though i have never got any work to stay atThe Grand but have visited the hotel for dinner a couple of times. The experience since the first visit at this hotel about 2 years back...when i came here in marriage..now I ensure that any special occasion is to be celebrated only at The Grand. My special liking is the Cascade -The coffee shop where anyone visiting must order Dal Makhni and the chef special paneer dish...i am a vegetarian by choice and surprisingly this place has good menu of vegetarian dishes to choose from..apart of it in buffet they have good choices for Non Vegetarian and Continental eaters also.Staff is very hospitable.and that every smallest of the need is well looked after effectively.......Had a good experience all d time while i had dinner at The Grand with good scenic view at Cascade..I am a difficult customer but this place has mesmerized me with their great service and food...They have other restaurant also like Pan Asian and Indian Specialty but i liked ala carte at Cascade the Coffee is best..Would like to say Thanx to Mr.Bhatnagar
who always come to my table for dinning experience at the cascade...I have seen this gentleman all the time moving in hotel getting the feedback from guests personally..hope will see him on new heights of success in coming days...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brijesh G
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear Mr.Goswami,

We are really grateful for these wonderful comments from a regular guest like you! Thank you for posting them on Tripadvisor and for your valued patronage. It is always a great pleasure to welcome you at The Grand New Delhi!

I am glad to take a note of these wonderful comments and special compliments for our restaurant services & food, I will not fail to congratulate the team for their excellent work.

We trust that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a not too distant future for yet another special occasion.

Sincerely yours,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Amazing hotel .... Exceptional service ...
Services are worth being paid for ...
Best experience ever ...

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank j_brown952
TheGrand-Management, Director of Rooms at The Grand New Delhi, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Guest

We sincerely thank you for your encouraging words of praise for our hotel and services. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

The Grand New Delhi is truly an exceptional hotel with highly personalized service. Hotel has a beautiful landscape like any good resort and is the largest hotel in Delhi (as compared to the other city hotels). Staff is well trained and can answer to all your queries. All credit to front desk and concierge staff especially Rajiv. He is commendable.

Location wise hotel Is near to the airport and is surrounded with 3 prominent malls.
Hotel has a beautiful spa, massage rooms, yoga rooms, swimming pool and gymnasium.
Rooms are really silent with no noise unlike other hotels where i stayed.

To get an upgrade to executive floor, just pay for Rs. 4000++ per day and get a lot of add on's including comp. cocktail hours in the evening.

After staying in lot of hotels in Delhi like Oberoi's, Leela, Taj etc., I would like to rate this hotel as the best hotel in New Delhi. Truly an amazing experience.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the Executive room with a pool or garden view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank shaun_2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such an encouraging feedback . It is a pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We very much appreciate your kind words on the team and especially the concierge. Indeed, we are delighted that you did enjoy our club floor stay experience and liked our services over the other hotels in Delhi.

As rightly mentioned our hotel is close to the DLF Emporio, Ambience mall & DLF Promenade mall. The Malls offers a wide range of entertainment options, shopping & more than hundred food outlet options across different cuisine. The Grand hotel New Delhi strategically located with a distance of 10 kms from the Airport in the heart of South Delhi, is close to the commercial Business district of Gurgaon (10 minutes) and Government Offices (15 minutes). This gives an equidistant location between the city centre & the commercial business hub. The Grand is one of the best luxury hotels near Gurgaon. This downtown hotel is also surrounded by green belt with no high rise building obstructing the view from the hotel, hence extremely secured for VIP visits & to give you a resort like feel yet being a business hotel.
We look forward to having you stay with us again, should your travels bring you back to New Delhi.

Hospitably,