“Residing with Hotel Ajanta!”
Review of Hotel Ajanta

Hotel Ajanta
Ranked #60 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Residing with Hotel Ajanta!”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Hotel Ajanta is good & economical. The people out there have been quite helpful. However, we were not communicated about their rule of submitting a photo id proof. We landed at 11 pm at the Delhi airport and Hotel Ajanta kept to its promise of keeping the car ready for a free pick up. Ofcourse, the parking charges of INR 140/- was to be paid by us. We reached the Hotel around 12 am and the staff was good enough to greet us. We had a slight issue as we were not informed about a photo id and a residence proof which needs to be submitted before we check in. Despite trying to convince the Hotel staff that we have come from Mumbai and have not carried any proof with us, they were adamant as that has been a rule. Our concern was that atleast we should have been communicated well in advance so that we could carry the necessary proofs. Since the hotel stay booking had already been done by us, they showed us 2 rooms which was a Standard room for two and this Standard room was pretty decent and clean. The other room was a Delux room which can accommodate 3 people by putting an extra bed. We were not too convinced with the Delux room as putting an extra bed, would leave the room with no space. We were then showed a suite which can easily accommodate 3 people but we were also told that for the same we will have to incur an extra cost as they are providing us with a suite. However, after speaking to them, they were very helpful and courteous to charge nothing extra. We used the room service to order our food and the food was pretty average. Next day, the travel desk helped us with the car booking for site seeing in Delhi and this had been an excellent tour. We requested the Hotel staff that we would check out in the evening as we had a late night train to Haridwar. They agreed our stay till 10 pm at a very marginal rise in pricing. They also arranged our drop to the Railway Station without any hassle.

To sum up the stay: Hotel Ajanta is good. The staff and the management are understanding and will always welcome you with a sweet smile. They have always gone out of the way for a support as and when required. Food is pretty average. They have an Internet zone, an open view terrace, mini refrigerator in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dhimple
HotelAjantaDelhi, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you choosing Hotel Ajanta for your stay and sharing the wonderful feedback with us. The comments offer great support and recognition to the passionate efforts of our staff and are received with gratitude.

It is a delight to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and particularly enjoyed the sightseeing tour arranged by us. However, we regret the inconvenience caused on account of the ID proof. As a policy, we highlight that visitors should carry ID proof as it is made mandatory by New Delhi police while responding to inquiry and booking confirmation mails. The comment on dining is noted with due attention as the restaurant at Hotel Ajanta is praised by our customers for the wonderful presentation of delectable Indian cuisines.

We would like to have you back with us to enjoy even better services.

Team at Hotel Ajanta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 20 April 2012

In the heart of New Delhi, if you looking for real India it is your place. One thing to consider is that could be too noisy. The other thing is that a little expensive, but I would like to stay there one more time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at Hotel Ajanta. We are thankful for sharing the great review. As you have rightly mentioned, we own a prime location in the National Capital Territory. Though situated in the nerve centre of the city and its buzz, we have adopted measures to ensure a calm respite for our guests, once they enter the hotel. This amongst many other desirable features has made us the favorite budget accommodation in the city.

Thank you once again for the kind comments. We would love to have you back with us.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Check in appalling - jokers!!
Recommend STA stop recommending them!
The only good thing was the airport pickup we arranged which is offered free, you just pay the 140 rupee for parking which is about 2quid. And the driver was friendly and promt.
As for the hotel staff, they are just ridicules! We arrived late from our flight about 1 am and I believe they tried to take advantage of this. Asked us to take a seat while they get the room ready. Fine whatever as everything is a hassle, so we sat down a noticed the tour desk a spoke with him about a tour to the Taj Mahal (I hate to think we're we would have ended up if not for doing this - money signs in there eyes!) then they come to tell us they are full they want to put us in the hotel next door, we just laughed but they were serious, we agreed we would look at the room if it was the same spec as what we paid for then fine. All though we paid for air con and it didn't work in the new room so no deal we went back over to the other hotel and explained this was not good enough and they all started talking together in Indian, the guy from the tour desk seemed to have some authority and jumped in. His English was also very good. After some talking they said ok your very lucky, we didn't feel it! They upgraded the room to the suite? He was very smarmy and kept on about how lucky we were.  They tour desk guy checked again we wanted to book the tour before putting it all through so seems this was the condition. Well after a bit more hassle we got our room, it was nice but nothing to rave about and not worth the hassle! The whole floor stunk of new paint which lead to a bit of headache plus the fact we were so wound up by the whole unessasery palavor, needless to say we didn't get off to a great night sleep.
Highly recommend any one thinking of staying here doesn't bother, it's not worth it!! I would never go back or recommend we had come from such a lovely home stay in Kerala, it's really such a shame Delhi was such a let down!

• Stayed March 2012
6 Thank Sarah D
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Hotel Ajanta for your stay at Delhi. Although it is never our intention to give unpleasant experiences to our guests, we are deeply sorry that you have felt so.

Hotel Ajanta is one of the most preferred budget accommodations in Delhi and remains pre-booked throughout the year. In some cases, if guests could not turn up at the right time and fail to inform us so, we offer rooms at our sister hotel, Sweet Home. The hotel has undergone renovation only recently and hence the smell of paint that you mentioned. We apologise for the confusion and inconvenience caused.
Allow us to make up for the difficulty on your next visit. We look forward to welcome you back.

Travellers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I paid for a superior room and i had to choose between a room with a king size bed small with pretty old furnitures but with a window and a two beds bigger wooden floor but no window. Chosen the no window room, it was clean enough, no cable tv nor safe as said on booking. Definitely not as I expected, the pictures showed online are probably fake.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank dallalucio42
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at Hotel Ajanta and taking your valuable time to share the feedback. The comments are taken in good spirit as we believe that customer reviews always work towards our benefit. However, we would like to emphasize that it is never our intention to leave bad impression with our guests. We apologise for the inconvenience caused and would like to amend for the same on your next visit to the city.

We look forward to welcome you back with improved services.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I have stayed here so many times I have lost count. The hotel is superbly located. Airport Express Metro lands right next to it at New Delhi Railway station , connects to the New Delhi Metro and Railway stations for connections to all over India. Good breakfast, though slow, a quick shirt ironing by the friendly staff and I am out for the day. Food is good though a bit expensive for Delhi. A nice mini-bar. Good stay packages too. They pick you up for free if you stay for 3 days or more. My typical stay is 5-7 days. Will be back soon.

Room Tip: Choose one with a window as many rooms don't have one. I think only higher category rooms have t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing Hotel Ajanta for your stay. The kind comments are appreciated as they provide immense support to our passionate services. We are delighted to learn that you have found the location and the various facilities around the hotel to your satisfaction.
Once again, thank you for the great review. We look forward to welcome you back with us on your next visit.
Warm regards
Nagpur
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I was in Delhi for business and booked a deluxe room in this hotel after seeing reviews on internet but I was thoroughly disappointed. The hotel front is quite good but the interior is not up to the mark. The room didn't have any window, there was glass window above the door through which the light came into the room during the night. I asked for a newspaper in the morning 4 times but I never got it. The room lighting was damp, the food quality is average. My trip was extended by a day and I checked into another hotel few blocks away and it was much better in every aspect. This hotel would have been a good hotel few years back but few new hotels are much better at this point in time.

Room Tip: Do not book room 215
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NavedAli
HotelAjantaDelhi, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Guest,
We have so many satisfied repeat clients, however we regret you were disappointed and agree to refund one days room rent.
We take all reviews very seriously and try to improve our service.
Regards,
The Hotel Ajanta Team.
West Yorks, UK
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Although a bit too far north of Connaught Place for me, It's in Ram Nager, not Paharganj, I'd still shortlist this place for next time.

It's one of the few hotels I stopped in that had a little fridge in my room for keeping all the bottled water cold....It was stocked too! Cans of pop, crisps, biscuits - how nice was that. Even better at checkout, someone obviously went up to check my room and I expected to be billed with a list of stuff I'd helped myself too, nope no bill, I even admitted helping myself to some snacks but reception didn't fuss over it.

Another thing I like in hotels which this one catered for - a breakfast buffet room. Breakfast was included in the price (booked through Agoda ) I hate staying in places that only offer room service, I like to pay for my breakfast once, not once for breakfast, once for bell boy, once for second helping of breakfast etc.. Nice food too.

The bed was of a nice quality, a tough, possibly orphapedic mattress - which suited me fine :) Maybe some would complain though?

View from the room was poor, but I didn't care much about that anyway. Ditto restaurant view.

Only real negative was the hard sell at reception during signing in, 'Come into my office to finish the paperwork whilst I tempt you with some tours', the guy fumbled through Rough Guide, trying to find his own advert 'Look, I have Advert!' he bellowed, 'Look, I hate that guide book' I spat. I turned to the bell boy, the one who ushered me in here, the one who just kissed his 20 rupee tip bye bye and gave him the most fed up look I could muster. He muttered to the travel agent and I was outta there in a few seconds flat.

Bottom line is I would stay there again...They really do need to finish that WiFi room though (chuckle, chuckle)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank spud-UK
Dear Guest,
All your comments are noted and taken very seriously.
We assure you of a better service on your next visit.
Regards,